Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Anyone into The Youngbloods or more importantly, Jesse Colin Young?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jul 2011 09:55:50 BDT
R. Pini says:
Just curious. No idea whether JCY is known at all in the UK.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 14:38:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2011 14:42:00 BDT
I'm into them! 'Get Together' was a bit of a standard in the 60's and loads of bands did covers of that and other J.C.Y's tracks..Jefferson Airplane and Quicksilver amongst others. My favourite album is 'Elephant Mountain' although most of them have great tracks on. Good stuff R.P.!!

edit - of course 'Get Together' was written by Dino Valenti (Chet Powers), although the Youngbloods and many others recorded it.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 15:28:12 BDT
I have a few lps...the first one..Good and Dusty and the Best of the Youngbloods....pleasant but not exceptional...havent played them for awhile but i would never part with them

Jim

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 18:42:21 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
I've got the best of the Youngbloods (RCA) which only has 10 tracks. I love the song Darkness, Darkness - Mott the Hoople did a great version, as did Robert Plant.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 21:30:48 BDT
R. Pini says:
Yes, Mark, Elephant Mountain should have been huge...what a great album. You may want to also check out some of Jesse Colin Young' s solo lps...the first one, which he recorded prior to forming the Yoingbloods, is wonderful. It' s entitled 'The soul of a city boy' but I am not sure whether it' s available at all on CD. Another great record is 'Song for Juli' but,really, JCY' s output is unlikely to disappoint no matter what Cd you get.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2011 22:19:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2011 22:35:16 BDT
china cat says:
Hi RP, been listening to 'Good and Dusty' and 'Elephant Mountain' recently, courtesy of Wharf Rat. Makes me think of the Neville Brothers a bit, further down the road.
edit -Haven't heard the JCY you recommend; will look into it. I've got a Kiwi working here a couple of days a week (from north of North Island) He says the weather down your way not been so great - your winter a bit like an average Scottish summer?!

Posted on 2 Jul 2011 01:04:29 BDT
R. Pini says:
Something like that. Very nice on a sunny day, but really miserable in the rain. There is not a lot inbetween the two. But in the far North - where your co-worker comes from-the weather is generally warmer and drier. The JCY CD is very hard to find and sells from some crazy prices. if you can' t get a hold of it I can arrange a vinyl-to-cd copy and post it out to you.

Posted on 2 Jul 2011 07:25:41 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Hi RP,...been into the Youngbloods from the heady days of the sixties,have all of the Youngbloods albums on vinyl (from RCA to Racoon)and a fair few on cd,also most of the solo work from JCY,including 'The Soal of a City Boy' and offshoots like 'Banana and the Bunch,Joe Bauer's 'Moonset' is something else!!!,Crabs,Tunes,Noggins....

Posted on 2 Jul 2011 10:10:32 BDT
R. Pini says:
hi there Rat...that's very interesting, i also have all the vinyls...I had been wondering about Bauer and Banana for years now, did not know there was any material available beyond the Youngbloods...guess I will have to hunt those down now. I love JCY, especially 'The soul of a city boy' 'Songbird' 'Song for Juli' but also 'On the road' 'Light shine' ...great stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2011 20:58:56 BDT
china cat says:
Thank you kindly, RP, but looks like Wharfy can sort me nearer to home. If there's anything you ever fancy, let us know.

Posted on 5 Jul 2011 14:06:10 BDT
Derek W. says:
R.Pini - I know nothing about the Youngbloods, however, today in an email from Wolfgangs Vault I see they've just put upa new Youngbloods concert that can be streamed from their site. Don't know if you've ever come across Wolfgangs Vault, but it's a website that sells rock memorabilia, and also has a wide range of live concerts that can be streamed, and in some cases downloaded in either MP3 or FLAC format for a fee (US $s). Had a quick look and in addition to the Youngbloods concert above there are about 5 Jesse Colin Young concerts, all of which can be streamed, two of which can be purchased as downloads. In fact I bought one myself to have a listen to later!

If this is all new to you and you decide to have a look, it's worth looking at becoming a member if you want to buy stuff, as you get discounts, better quality streaming and other extras. If you know all this already, then just ignore me, if not go to http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/ and have a look around!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2011 09:17:22 BDT
R. Pini says:
I have only recently started downloading music from the internet, I am certainly not an expert, nor do I know where the best sites are. I have bought some stuff off legalsounds.com (pretty good) but I am more than willing to investigate other avenues. Live JCY sounds great! Always wanted to know what he has to offer to a live audience, probably a lot! So yes, thanks, I will check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2011 08:59:45 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Try Standing Room Only - JCY its live and contains a few toons when he was with the Youngbloods.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (784 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  1 Jul 2011
Latest post:  7 Jul 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions