Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Floyd or Crimson?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 91 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Oct 2013 21:53:47 BDT
Two of the most innovative UK bands, maybe the most innovative, who started in the 60s and ploughed their own furrow from the start.

Difficult one for me - any views?

Posted on 18 Oct 2013 23:31:12 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
Soundtrack from the Film More (1969)
Ummagumma (studio and live, 1969)
Atom Heart Mother (1970)
Meddle (1971)
Obscured by Clouds (1972)
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)
The Final Cut (1983)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
The Division Bell (1994)

v

In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
In the Wake of Poseidon (1970)
Lizard (1970)
Islands (1971)
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
Starless and Bible Black (1974)
Red (1974)
Discipline (1981)
Beat (1982)
Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)
THRAK (1995)
The ConstruKction of Light (2000)
The Power to Believe (2003)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2013 23:38:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2013 23:43:20 BDT
Have to go with the Floyd C.D., reasons being I never really got King Crimson,the only album I have of theirs is Islands after hearing it in a pub rock disco(is there such a thing?) one night and have only listened to that a few times,didn't think much of 21St Century Schizoid Man(sacrilege I know to the faithful)Even some of PF's outings left me cold,UmmaGumma,Atom Heart Mother. A Nice Pair and Piper were so-so,Relics-brilliant psychedelic pop,Obscured By Clouds and Meddle,much more my cup of tea,Dark Side,Animals, WYWH,well it was the 70's,everybody had at least one or two of these in their collections though I do feel they haven't aged that well and sound very dated and since then have returned to so-so,ok'ish status.Have to go several hundred hairy enraged rockfans with torches and pitchforks are storming the gates: Igor,fetch the stagecoach,time for a discreet exit!
PS.Maybe should have listened to some of Crimson's other music but my heart and ears were in a different place.

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 00:45:42 BDT
Both great bands but Crimson get the nod because of how diverse and challenging their music has been from one period to the next - like a rock equivalent of Schoenberg or Stravinsky. Floyd have produced some legendary stuff but seemed to largely work within certain parameters that they incrementally established for themselves in the early 70s once Waters' aspirations to become Project Manager started to take root. That's not a criticism - having a steady line-up for over a decade was maybe the reason why this came about, but Crimson have had more of a shifting sand existence which for me makes their music more interesting overall.

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 08:21:39 BDT
tbh, i wouldn't know a king crimson record if it mauled me on the high street, although i know some of fripp's and belew's work. so, on that brittle evidence, they would shade it over pink floyd, of whom i hold certain views. you just wouldn't want to hear them! :)

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 08:28:48 BDT
It's quite a body of work from both bands, and very measured responses. I think the key might be in SCHs post as KC has certainly produced some challenging music with definite jazz influences (which really appeal to me) but I also love the early experimental Floyd and the moods created by some of their albums.

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 08:30:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2013 08:31:57 BDT
Wow! Like comparing and contrasting Leopards and Cement mixers.......both have their special place.

For sheer consistency of inventiveness and gnarl Crim, for absolutely stunning melodic work in a rock context Floyd.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 08:34:37 BDT
naw, i thought cement mixer's 2nd album was a step too far in the 'dance' direction,...................:)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 08:35:32 BDT
Whereas I thought it was rock solid, Tech........

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 08:36:41 BDT
Morning Smitty, I haven't started a thread for about 2 years - the Queen/Zep one prompted this!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 09:30:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2013 09:35:14 BDT
Brass Neck says:
What next Grateful Dead v. Miley Cyrus?

On-topic; definitely Floyd, always more accessible, you don't need a diploma in @nal retention to listen to 'em (although the later Waters-dominated stuff is so whiney you need to be a sommelier at times). I was reluctantly dragged along with the GF to Earls Court to see The Wall,; hate the sentiments, LOVED the show which has never been equalled for sheer spectacle in all my gig-going days.

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 09:32:44 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Not possible to choose one over the other imo. KC's various line ups have always interested me but I think PF just edge it with my favorite album (WYWH). Both can pull it of live. I've never seen either but most of their official live albums sound great, with the exception of Earthbound. All this is on the basis of not yet hearing everything that KC have released. 14 disc box sets are expensive and I've yet to decide whether or not they are worth the investment. I always pass hints to wealthy family members at this time of year.......Damn, I don't have any wealthy family members.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 09:38:49 BDT
Morning, Cornish! I hope it is not as wet and dismal as it is here where you are.

Yeh, started a thread myself on the Music group. Must be in the air!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 09:45:46 BDT
Usa [40th Anniversary Edition] is a good place to start with Krim on the 74 tour, it certainly has some gems on it. Asbury Park is a fine example of Krim improv in that era. Those box sets really are for the obsessive, says he with three behind him, loads of improv and subtly rejigged standards that you could easily live without hearing, unless you are a mega fan. The best part of the big box sets are the books. I love them. In fact, if I could buy them separately I would.

Level Five is a stunner. Later era, ie Pat Mastellotto, Trey Gunn, Robt Fripp and Ade Belew in absolutely top form.

Sorry, got carried away there ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 10:00:17 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Hi Smitty, I just missed out, last week, bidding on eBay for a Japanese copy of USA. I've heard it's well worth owning so I'll be buying soon. Thanks for the Level Five rec. I'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 10:03:17 BDT
That USA I linked is the latest remastered/remixed version and ought to be a gem. Level Five is sublime, a must buy if you like Krim at all.

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 10:40:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2013 10:41:35 BDT
BOF © says:
Not even going to try and compare them, I can listen to Floyd anytime morning, noon or night, now KC don't do morning music to me just that bit more challenging, more after lunch right through to night. Smitty's right about Level 5 and also Power to Believe the level of playing & recording is exceptional.
Best bones
B. O. F.

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 10:52:07 BDT
I must say if I passed judgment on the level of musicianship then KC would win but there's more to music than simply the notes played or complexity!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 11:10:35 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
Floyd for me every time, like VDGG, Crimson is more of a cherry picking exercise as the majority of the material is on the edge of my musical preferences.

Constant experimenting and directional changes does not necessarily equal good music, nor does it allow a bands, or indeed composers expertise to grow, my preference has always leant towards the symphonic forms of rock and a fair bit of Floyds output does likewise.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 11:21:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2013 11:22:24 BDT
Hi Mark, good to see you here.
If I was a betting man, I reckon I could have guessed which band you would have preferred :-)

NB: Now as for Schiz. . . . . .

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 11:28:20 BDT
BOF © says:
.............. Kylie (but he should be that lucky, lucky, lucky)

Best bones
B. O. F.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 11:54:01 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Power to Believe is one of the greatest, best produced albums I own.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 11:57:13 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
I agree PF do non complexity better than anyone else imo

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 12:11:34 BDT
LOL, got King Crimson all this morning. Just going through Heavy ConstruKction on at the mo ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 12:12:30 BDT
Welcome back MK!!! Feeling well today, I hope.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  18 Oct 2013
Latest post:  10 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions