Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

1 Track club revisited

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Dec 2009 22:32:46 GMT
Deano says:
I have been away from these music discussions for a while and upon my return I am saddened to see that my favourite discussion appears to have fizzled out. The 1 track club was a daily source of entertainment for me and accounted for my purchasing a number of albums from artists that I may have overlooked without other music lovers recommendations.

So I propose we start again, I for one have not been idle over the last couple of months and have discovered many new bands and artists in that time and feel sure others will have too.

The rules are the same, name the band and the album and recommend 1 track which you feel best sells your new found gem. If you feel inclined, a little description of the track or band could be useful, also, where the track can be heard. More than 1 band or artist at a time is acceptable, but only 1 track for each. Then we can listen to and feed back on the recommendations and leave our own suggestions, and so on.

I found this to be hugely entertaining and a valuable tool for finding new music. I hope you will all feel the same.

I'll start the ball rolling :-

1. Local Natives album 'Gorilla Manor' track- Sun Hands
2. Alberta Cross album 'Broken side of Time' track - Taking Control
3. Into the Wild Soundtrack by Eddie Vedder track - Society

These may not be new to all of you but hopefully they will be useful to a few. All of the above are available on Spotify.

Here's hoping.
Deano.

Posted on 16 Dec 2009 22:49:36 GMT
TheFoe says:
Welcome back Deano! The one track club has reappeared on the music forum as recently as a few days ago, under the guise of The One track club on tour. However a rock slant might just work. Will check out your songs tomorrow, as MOTD has just started. Kind regards TheFoe.

Posted on 18 Dec 2009 11:52:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2009 17:14:19 GMT
FDJ says:
At last One Track is on the rock forum,well done Deano!
Local Natives-Good stuff but don't think i would buy it as i don't think it would be one i would play a lot.
Alberta Cross-Liked This a lot,reminded me in some ways of Pablo Honey era Radiohead.
Eddie Vedder-Only one thing to say about this ...Awesome!

My recommendation is Tide of Tears -The Parlor Mob (spotify)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2009 18:25:39 GMT
Deano says:
Thanks for joining in FDJ, I was beginning to think this was going to be a non starter, hopeful now though that it will be a slow burner.

Parlor Mob are superb, the singer has a voice not too disimilar to Robert Plant, and in many ways, dare I say, better? I nearly saw them a couple of months ago, they were 1st on the bill when I saw Shinedown in Birmingham, nearly saw them because we decided we had time for chips before going in, got inside just in time to be said goodbye to!!! I've never regretted a piece of chicken so much in my life!!!!

Today's selection as follows:-

Band of skulls' album Baby Darling Doll Face Honey - Track 'Death by Diamonds and Pearls'
Mumford & Sons' album Sigh no More - Track 'Roll away your stone'
New Device's album Takin' Over - Track 'Make my Day'
Wasp's album Babylon - Track 'Burn' (Deep Purple cover)

All available on Spotify or Myspace pages.

Enjoy.

Posted on 18 Dec 2009 19:11:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2009 19:12:16 GMT
FDJ says:
Band Of Skulls-Great track,vocals sound a bit Jaggerish but that's not a bad thing,when i have a bit more time i will check out some of their other stuff.Very promising.
Mumford & Sons-Heard a lot of good things about them on various threads but they just don't rock my boat.
New Device-Kick ass rock'n'roll loved it!
Wasp- I was ready to hate this but it's not a bad cover at all.

My recomendations are:-
Delilah-Dirty Sweet(spotify)
Do It Again-Jaded Sun(My Space)
One Foot In The Grave-Phillip Sayce(spotify)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2009 21:41:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2009 21:44:21 GMT
Deano says:
I am pleased to see someone else likes Dirty Sweet, I found these guys about 6 months ago, FDJ bringing them up has helped me decide what to listen to next.
Jaded Sun are great, the singer reminds me a bit of Danny Bowes from Thunder, I have been meaning to get this album for a while now, and cant for the life of me work out why I haven't, its in the basket now though.
Philip Sayce is completely new to me, within 10 seconds of the first track I was sold, absolutely love it, great guitar work and a decent set of pipes too, this one is sitting next to Jaded Sun in the shopping basket.

I think you may end up costing me a few quid here FDJ......Keep it up please.

Here's another one for now.

Spinnerette's self titled album - Track 'Baptized by fire'. (Spotify)

Posted on 20 Dec 2009 20:16:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2009 20:18:23 GMT
Deano says:
Thought I'd better post again to bring this up to the top again. So far the recommendations are:-

Local Natives album 'Gorilla Manor' track- Sun Hands (Spotify)
Alberta Cross album 'Broken side of Time' track - Taking Control (Spotify)
Into the Wild Soundtrack by Eddie Vedder track - Society (Spotify)
My recommendation is Tide of Tears -The Parlor Mob (spotify)
Band of skulls' album Baby Darling Doll Face Honey - Track 'Death by Diamonds and Pearls' (Spotify)
Mumford & Sons' album Sigh no More - Track 'Roll away your stone' (Spotify)
New Device's album Takin' Over - Track 'Make my Day' (Spotify)
Wasp's album Babylon - Track 'Burn' (Deep Purple cover) (Spotify)
Delilah-Dirty Sweet(spotify)
Do It Again-Jaded Sun(My Space)
One Foot In The Grave-Phillip Sayce(spotify)
Spinnerette's self titled album - Track 'Baptized by fire'. (Spotify)

Hopefully there are a few more of you that will want to join in.

Posted on 21 Dec 2009 18:26:26 GMT
FDJ says:
Spinnerette- Listened to all their tracks on spotify and loved them all,not sure how you would classify their sound,but then again why should you!

Next up is: To The Bottle-The Steepwater Band

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2009 21:31:14 GMT
Mark Kibble says:
Hope I'm not intruding chaps but I had a hour or two to spare so I've checked out all the spotty ones, bit of a mixed bag but nothing that I wouldn't be happy to hear from time to time, buying of course, as with yerselves no doubt, is another matter.

I particularly liked Eddie Vedder, the Parlor Mob, Mumford and sons, Dirty Sweet and the Steepwater band, while Band of Skulls have potential. The only one I didn't really take to was Wasp, sorry Deano but I don't do metal, and how dare they copy the Purps.

I don't get to see any new stuff nowadays (I've joined the boring ole gits club), but a young lad, localish to me (Leicester) has just released his debut album, Jersey Budd - Wonderlands, can't make my mind up whether to recommend 'She came back' or 'Shotgun times' ..... take your pick.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2009 00:32:31 GMT
Deano says:
Hi Mark, glad to have you here. I admit, the WASP recommendation was a little naughty, and was indeed done to involve the Purple people! Burn just so happens to be my fave Purp track from my fave Purple album by my fave Purple incarnation, Coverdale will always be top Purple Dog with me (but surely thats for a different thread). I do also have a soft spot for Blackie Lawless, so am finding it a little easier to forgive the cover.

Glad you have found a few newbies to have a go at. I will check out Jersey Budd (like the name) when I get in tomorrow.

Posted on 22 Dec 2009 17:03:34 GMT
Deano says:
Jersey Budd - Wonderlands, I opted for 'She came back' out of the two offered, and have to admit, I stuck around for a few more whilst I was there. This young man reminds me of a mixture of different people, I get Brian Adams, I get Jon Bon Jovi (vocal stylings) I even get an image of Van Morrison in my mind (annoying me because I cant work out exactly why, admittedly my knowledge of Van is limited). Like it a lot though, another one on the shortlist I feel.

Steepwater Band was an interesting listen, musically it was superb, great guitar sound, it was just the vocal that didnt quite hit me straight away, I listened to Back to the bottle and was instantly struck with an image of Mick Jagger fronting Lynyrd Skynyrd, which made the experience quite unusual. I had a go at the track Feelin' in the air and was met with more great guitar and a vocal similar in a way to Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes. I like and enjoy all of the bands and singers mentioned, but being pulled in so many directions was hard work for an introduction to a new (to me) band. Certainly not dismissed, I will be revisiting this one a few more times over the next week or so.
Here's a couple more from me then.

Flyleaf. Self titled debut album, track 'I'm so sick'
Dead by Sunrise. Out of ashes album, track 'Too late

Both of these are a big step away from the last few bands mentioned, but give 'em a chance. Both are particular favourites with my children and can be found on Spotify.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2009 17:26:17 GMT
Mark Kibble says:
It's funny that you should mention Van the man as an influence, I was undecided whether I could detect shades of him or mister Zimmerframe, either way it does help to elevate it from the mundane pop rock that is still all too widespread at the moment. My only critisism is a few too many sha la la's at song endings.

Posted on 22 Dec 2009 19:57:03 GMT
FDJ says:
Jersey Budd- Agreed with all Deano said about this track but would add John Mellencamp to the mix.Listened to the rest of the album and was greatly impressed.Possible purchase
Flyleaf- Opens with a killer guitar riff and then the vocal comes in and it's not what you are expecting,a female singer who when she is in full flow reminded me of Geddy Lee from Rush.Awesome tune.
Dead by Sunrise -Nothing about this track really reached out and grabbed me,a bit rock by numbers for my tastes.

Next up for review is:-High Brow by Hell City Glamours

Posted on 23 Dec 2009 13:45:44 GMT
Metallifan92 says:
Hi all in the forum, saw the group and thought i'd join in on the action :)

Well what to recommend...

Hate Gallery - Compassion Fatigue - The Idiots (may have to be a youtube job because they're not on Spotify)
Black Spiders - Cinco Hombres - Stay Down
(in a reasonably heavier direction) - Devin Townsend - Ki - Gato (the whole album deserves a listen to be honest)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2009 16:30:04 GMT
Deano says:
Hello and welcome Metallifan92. I will be checking out your recommendations very soon and leaving my comments on your selections. We would likewise welcome your feedback on some or all of our choices too.
Cheers Deano.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2009 13:51:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Dec 2009 13:53:24 GMT
hypergod says:
Hey guys, glad to see you're still 'at it', but is this thread idea coming UP for the third time or going DOWN? I probably won't be contributing again, and I confess that I haven't read all of the above posts, but it seemed to me that the original 'One Track Club' became bogged down because people suggested too many tracks/bands in one post, and also didn't bother to give feedback on previous suggestions. I know this wasn't done by everyone, but if you perhaps limit it to MC's original idea, ONE TRACK ONLY, at least at first, it may run more smoothly. I also think that the 'suggester' should make sure that the track suggested is easily available to listen to for free, in full, somewhere on the 'puter (Spotify/YouTube,etc) before posting it, and should provide this information as well, and never forget to listen to and 'critique' the other suggestions. Hopefully, this will lead to a swifter 'turnover' of suggestions, and easier location of new music, which is good for all of us. The only reason I said I would probably not join in is that my taste seemed somewhat estranged from the 'core' posters, but I shall look in and see if anything interesting catches my eye from time to time, as I did before. Sorry if this reads like a 'Dad' telling someone how to do things, I just thought it might help... please feel free to completely disregard if you wish!
Love.

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 19:03:52 GMT
FDJ says:
Hate Gallery-Nice one,just the right mix of classic rock and metal,impressed!
Black Spiders-Another good one,will have to check out more of these guys.
Devin Townsend-started off very promising but then in came those possessed by the devil vocals and ruined it for me.

As no one has reviewed my last recommendation i will try again, High Brow by Hell City glamours(spotify)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 05:53:58 GMT
Deano says:
I am glad this one hasnt died as I thought it had. Perhaps there's life in this old dog yet, lets hope Metallifan and a few more check in now.

Hell City Glamours - Listened to High Brow, great opening guitar riff, I expected Beano Johnson to start singing, but instead, we get a sort of Southern Tinged vocal. Listened to Ready to fall too, and this time I thought it was a Justin Hawkins type guitar riff ala The Darkness or Hot Leg ( both of which I love). Will have to give 'em a few more spins.

Next up - Hellions on Parade by CKY (spotify)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 13:19:02 GMT
Iris Ellis says:
i recently saw Black Spiders, they were supporting The Stranglers at Leamington Spa, they were very good.

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 19:31:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2009 19:33:41 GMT
FDJ says:
CKY-Very heavy sound,good vocal, like the change in time signatures my only complaint is there are these weird keyboard/synth fills which seem to be just thrown in at random.

Try this one-Seven Years To Saturn by Sasquatch(spotify)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 22:14:52 GMT
Deano says:
FDJ, how easily you seem to have worked me out, absolutely loved Sasquatch. Thick, heavy, guitar sound and a vocal that reminds me very much of John Bush from Anthrax and Armored Saint. I am stunned and a little annoyed that I dont know about these guys. Definitely one for the shopping list, the first albums a bit pricey though, might have to shop around for that one.
Right, I have 2 for you (and anyone else that wants to join in), the first one is one of my fave debut albums, and certainly one of my faves of the last couple of years, the singer / guitarist was 14 when this was released.

Try:-
Shout By Black Tide from thier debut album Light from above (spotify)
Also:-
Burnt Reynolds By Crippled Black Phoenix (spotify) other end of the scale, maybe even 1 for the proggies, over 8 mins long but worth the effort.

If I dont catch you again tonight, Have a happy new year.

Posted on 5 Jan 2010 09:02:11 GMT
Metallifan92 says:
Hell City Glamours...bloody love 'em! Good solid no bull RnR with Aerosmith tendencies highlighted everywhere. Definitely one to be looking out for very soon!

Right..in the sleaze direction..:

Hardcore Superstar - Into Debauchery (spotify)

Back Soon guys!

Posted on 7 Jan 2010 17:50:25 GMT
FDJ says:
Black Tide-Already aware of this band through reading guitar magazines,and they certainly live up to the hype,a very old skool vibe to this despite their ages.Nice one!
Crippled Black Phoenix-Heard a lot about this band but found myself rather underwhelmed,nothing majorly wrong with it, just that it did not tick the boxes for me.
Hardcore Superstar-Yeah,loved the glam rock feel to this,the drums drive the song along with a punch the air,and stamp your feet feel that hooks you straight away,awesome!

Next up is Colossus by Ogre

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2010 18:27:03 GMT
Metallifan92 says:
Yeah liking Ogre, im feeling quite a big Wolfmother vibe from these guys from the riffs. However, especially with 'The Jaded Beast' I feel his vocals aren't quite up to scratch in places and becomes quite hard to listen to. Musically, they are awesome with some Sabbath-esque riffs scattered about the place, just a shame about his vocal.

Next up Whatever Gets You Off by Last Vegas

Posted on 8 Jan 2010 21:26:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2010 21:27:56 GMT
FDJ says:
Last Vegas-Sleaze drenched,G'n'R influenced kick-ass rock'n roll,magic stuff.Definate purchase,Nice one Metallifan.

Now try this:Suddenly Attacked by Big Linda(spotify)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  1437
Initial post:  16 Dec 2009
Latest post:  23 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions