Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Albums that have been mutilated when transferring to CD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2013 23:20:28 GMT
Lord Wobbly says:
Following on from previous threads, I'd like to highlight albums that have been ruined as a result of being 'edited' for CD.

To start you off, I give you:

Golden Earring ~ Moontan: I had a soooperb vinyl copy of this. A great cover and a great album. But, when it comes to the CD version, why do we have to choose between the great cover and having 'Big Tree Blue Sea'? Why can't we have both?

Pallas ~ Arrive Alive: Why does the CD version omit 'Heart Attack'?

Peter Gabriel ~ Plays Live: Why is there a 'Highlights' version?

These are three examples that particularly bug me. I'm sure you can add more.

Posted on 15 Mar 2013 15:41:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2013 15:41:39 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
LW agree with you re Moontan. Here's another one Flying Teapot. The title track, one of the best on the album imo, is not the original. Why include one remixed track? Copyright issues, I'm told.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 16:53:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2013 17:29:55 GMT
Brass Neck says:
1999 - Prince. When first released they omitted DMSR (Drugs Music Sex Romance) despite the run time with it not being close to 80 mins.

Physical Graffiti - Led Zep. On the original 'fatbox' edition they truncated In My Time Of Dying missing off the 'cough, cough, bed' ending. Rectified on the 97 remaster.

Much of Frank Zappa's oeuvre was extensively self-tampered with, the addition of digital reverb being the main culprit, together with him remixing using a faulty soundboard leading to all sorts of glitches. Many but not all of these have been exposed and rectified by the 2012 remasters (just as I'd almost completed buying all the preceding editions!).

Then there's the ubercrime of ZZ Top's early classic albums being liberally slathered with digital drums and reverb - avoid Zz Top 6 Pack at all costs. Even now only Tres Hombres [Expanded & Remastered] and Fandango [Expanded & Remastered] have been properly remastered and all the nonsense removed. The only other alternative is the box set Chrome, Smoke and BBQ all of which is properly remastered but it goes for silly money now (got mine pristine used for about £15!)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 17:24:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2013 17:26:49 GMT
Deguello is surprisingly good in the original issue, in fact it is almost as good as the Chrome Smoke box set version, which surprised me. The rest of those initial ZZ Top cd releases were utterly diabolical.

The Zappa reissues are superb, absolutely magnificent sonic delights. The Doug Sax ones are particularily good, not that the rest are slouches, but his just seem to have a certain something extra in the special sonic stakes. Luckily I had not that many of the originals!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 17:33:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2013 18:37:40 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Re Frank Zappa remasters, I found this webpage particularly informative;

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 17:38:31 GMT
Yep, a great first port of call for the reissue info. I could honestly say that all of the analogue sourced reissues sound the best I have ever heard them. The digitally sourced stuff sounds fairly similar, except for Them or Us, which is now magnificent and a distinct improvement despite being digitally sourced.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013 09:03:49 GMT
Carradale says:
There was a phase certainly with some remastering/ re-issues of some 50s/60s jazz albums where alternative takes of certain tracks were inserted immediately after the issued version. I'm all for bonus material but after the original album has run its course , please!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 00:12:42 GMT
One of Miles Davis albums, Escalator to the Scaffold, has been released in a version that fries my head, being all mixed up as you say, whereas another is album first bonus after. Aghhhhhh!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 00:49:22 GMT
Spacepig says:
Why oh why oh why do they mess with running orders of classic albums? My pet hate is this version of Church of Hawkwind. All is OK until you get to track 7. Then they chuck in an extra track, then go back to the original, then throw in another, then back to the original, then another new one, then back again to round it off with the rest of the original! Why didn't they just put the extra tracks on at the end? They went some way to fix it with subsequent re-releases, but I am not keen on forking out yet again just to get a couple of extra tracks when all I really wanted was the original tracks in the proper running order - ruined me trip that one did when I first heard it.

And while I am on the rant, what about Friends & Relations? Nothing wrong with the running order on this one but, at the end of Robot on the LP version you get this loud screeching wail that shattered windows at 100 yards - just amazing through the headphones at full volume. And if you blasted it through the speakers every dog in the neighbourhood was reduced to a cowering wreck. But on the CD, bump it up as loud as you want, you're still gonna get bitten on the ankles by the local chihuahua - totally flat, ruined completely.

I could go on, and on, and on but it's late and my blood is starting to boil already so I am just going to go and dig out a good transfer and bug the neighbours, Sonic Attack ought to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 09:08:05 GMT
Carradale says:
Yep.
Have a few albums I can only listen to through iTunes after a bit of reprogramming.

Posted on 19 Mar 2013 10:59:50 GMT
Not such much to do with sound quality and/or pruning of track times but I wish the Evil Empire (a.k.a. ABKCO) would release the proper UK versions of the first two Stones albums. OK, the debut only loses the album-only Mona and gains the single Not Fade Away but Rolling Stones No. 2 virtually disappears as the US and UK output parted company for the next three years. The UK 2nd album was totally cannibalised by spreading most of the songs over the next two US-only albums and padding them out with singles that are on any number of ABKCO-era compilations. ABKCO have had two major re-master/re-release campaigns since 1994 and have never got it right - on the second campaign they re-released both versions of Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath and Between The Buttons so why did they make a point of ignoring the first two?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 11:13:43 GMT
Brass Neck says:
And yet I prefer with deluxe editions of LIVE albums when they DO slot the previously omited tracks into the correct sequence for the gig/set list at the time as was done with At Fillmore East (Deluxe Edition) - Allman Bros and One More From The Road - Deluxe Edition - Lynyrd Skynyrd (although with the latter straight after Free Bird they then chuck in nigh on a hours worth of out of sequence alternative versions). Warren Zevon's masterly live Stand In The Fire (Expanded & Remastered) has the extra tracks stuffed at the end which to my mind is much more jarring especially as several are ballads which follow a high octane climax from the original album.

Posted on 19 Mar 2013 11:23:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2013 11:26:00 GMT
Carradale says:
Good point , Brasso

On the other thing it does got to a rather mad completist hagiographic point with some artists!

Wonderful, wonderful material on this with some fascinating alternative takes but also every incomplete take and loads of less than 20 sec false starts ..........

Bird: The Complete Charlie Parker On Verve

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 13:24:15 GMT
Clem Feeney says:
Similarly The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads [Expanded & Remastered] [Us Release] has disc two expanded to include the entire set in the correct order. It does duplicate songs from disc one but you can compare the early punk four piece group (disc one) to the funkier eleven piece line up (disc two)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 13:25:22 GMT
True. I had it playing the other night. Despite preferring the Stop Making Sense soundtrack I reckon the early live stuff has a real buzz about it that they lost.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 13:30:02 GMT
Clem Feeney says:
And dare I say that Stop Making Sense is another great remastered and expanded album. I enjoy it so much it's made the Speaking in Tounges cd pretty much redundant.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 15:39:48 GMT
Yes, the studio versions are fairly staid and unengaging in comparison to the live versions. There is a great Talking Heads concert on youtube that features the big band in the tour before Stop Making Sense and the buzz coming off the stage is incredible, more so than the Stop Making Sense film. Same tour as the Name of This Band cd material. Cant get you the link at work, but google it...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 17:27:21 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
the Band "Rock of Ages" live album tracks were arranged "out of order" by Robbie and co to give a better balance - i think the Toussaint brass songs were all together during the gig.
When Chapman Whitney released First Cut (the debut Streetwalkers CD) they changed the order to the way they preferred but had been persuaded against by the record Co. That really disorientated me for a while as my memory was still programmed with the previous version, even after all those years.
The Joni Mitchell Shadows & Light CD was first released as a single CD and they'd left out Black Crow and Free Man in Paris (aargh) to squeeze it in

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 17:34:17 GMT
Brass Neck says:
It's a bit like the days of taping CDs on C90s - which songs do you leave off to make an album fit on one side? Thank God for CD-Rs!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 11:04:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2013 11:06:54 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
at first i tried cutting a wee bit off one side of the tape and splicing it onto the other - in the theory that i could perhaps get a 50 minute album on one side and a 40 minute album on the other but never quite got it to work.
After that i always used C98s - useful for those pesky 49 minute albums

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 12:09:16 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Yes I used to buy TDK SA C100s but still ended up cutting tracks or continuing on the second side as the mid-80s craze for filling all 80 minutes of a CD regardless of musical quality was at its height.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  13 Mar 2013
Latest post:  20 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions