Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Scandinavian bands

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Sep 2011 23:44:30 BDT
Some the best stuff around comes from Viking territory. Where to start? Opeth, Dozer, Dungen, Lowrider,The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, Silverbullit,Turbonegro, Ghost Brigade etc etc etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 00:50:02 BDT
Martin says:
For me it's the 70s prog band Wigwam from the still-unfashionable Finland (albeit mostly led by an Englishman) featuring the stupendous Jukka Gustavson and Pekka Pohjola.

The closest thing to Scandinavian are probably Dutch, and their best offerings for me were not Focus but Supersister and Earth & Fire.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 00:58:13 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Saw Villa Nah (Finnish duo) opening for OMD. They were excellent. Have since listened to their album and they just sound very manufactured with none of the energy and fun they have live. A real shame. I can imagine them being very popular at festivals.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 08:47:42 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Burzum last album from Norway, strangely but this black metal band sounds more ambient to me, similar effect I get from F*ck Buttons.

From These Wounds by funeral doom metal band Funeral from Norway, if you like to feel depressed(in a good way), this one the right album. Ignore the rest. In band's history bass guitarist comitted suicide, then guitarist died, so, believe me,
guys know their stuff.

Los Bastardos Finlandeses good heavy rock band from...guess from where, sounds like mix of Lizzy, Motorhead, ZZ Top, latest album even into Kiss territory with party rock anthems.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 09:00:08 BDT
RAB says:
Europe were awesome.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 09:01:46 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I've a soft spot for Abba.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 11:37:06 BDT
Hanoi Rocks - top-drawer glam/trash outfit from Helsinki. Group were definitely on an upwardly-mobile curve (recently signed to CBS, being produced by Bob Ezrin and collaborating with the likes of Ian Hunter) but the death of their drummer in late 84 hit them too hard. They did reform some years later but were strictly on the fringes after that.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 11:55:25 BDT
Martin says:
God, yes, Abba - I forgot all about them. They were Danish, were they not?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 12:15:04 BDT
RAB says:
Swedish.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 12:52:43 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Chris Burghstrem was Danish.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 18:29:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2011 19:14:41 BDT
Hammerwood says:
Hi Martin.... what were your thoughts on Golden Earring (Dutch?),
or is the jury still out?
I assume Wigwam is still easily available (?) I must try them out
sometime. What to start with, please? (You may have another 'future'
convert!)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 20:14:14 BDT
Martin says:
Yes, Wigwam's back catalogue is readily available, Hammer, and their meisterwerk is the 1971 album 'Fairyport' which would be as good a place as any to start. Jukka G left the band in 1974 and their output after that was not so satisfying in my book.

Golden Earring? Haven't heard that much by them though oddly enough I know more about them from when they were known as The Golden Earrings in the 60s - quite a different sound, as you would probably imagine.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 20:25:43 BDT
S.R.J says:
The Amazing (a band made up of Dungen members and others), folky psychedelic rock, are.......err amazing (I'll get mi pacamac).
S.R.J

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 21:03:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2011 21:05:34 BDT
Hammerwood says:
Thanks for your quick and informed reply, Martin...... 'Fairyport' it is then. I'll let you know
how I get on, when this is to hand.

Don't remember early GE, but keen on their 'Moontan', 'Seven Tears' and 'Contraband'
efforts.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 23:32:52 BDT
Holland is NOT in Scandinavia!! Abba, Europe? I thought this was gonna be a rock discussion! Why not sling in Aqua, The Cardigans or Roxette as well? Bring on The Leather Nun and The Nomads!

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 00:08:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2011 00:26:53 BDT
Hammerwood says:
Sorry RLJ, but I have learnt (to my cost!) that these forums tend to go
off track slightly (?) from time to time. It all 'adds to the brew', dont you think?
I have learnt much from those whose rock knowledge is far superior to my own.
I still ask questions and get the answers I need, well mostly, anyway. (At least
I admit it!) In addition I get indirect snippets of info from some pretty reliable
sources on occasion. I have been known to whisper to myself...'' wow, I never
knew that'' or similar, sometimes on subjects that have no bearing (at all!) on the
thread title . (No, it ain't the first sign of madness by the way!)
Patronising........ petit moi? I think not.... just plainly honest, I guess. Heavens, don't
tell me some of you have actually read to the end of this post.... I'm truly humbled,
that I am.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 01:18:01 BDT
Martin says:
Look forward to hearing your views on 'Fairyport', Hammer - I rather think you'll approve.

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 12:10:32 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Thanks for Wigwam Martin, (& D.I.Longstaff on 'Gems That Pass Us By') i've been playing their You Tube mix.

Great stuff! I think i'll start at the beginning, 'Hard N' Horny'. I can't see any clunkers in their first 7 albums ?

Hard 'n' Horny (1969)
Tombstone Valentine (1970)
Fairyport (1971)
Being (1974)
Nuclear Nightclub (1975)
The Lucky Golden Stripes and Starpose (1976)
Dark Album (1977)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 14:27:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2011 14:36:40 BDT
Hammerwood says:
Now on order via Zon, Martin. I look forward to 'lift off' very shortly.
Also, I have noted Cheeze's follow-up post on the same subject.
Perhaps it's a little too early for me to get his no-doubt insightful
views on the post '74 stuff (?)

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 15:40:58 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
in late 70's i bought a double live album by a Scandianvian 4 piece band - jazz rock-ish - sax, guitar, bass and drums
saw them on OGWT but they promptly disappeared - any ideas who they were ?

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 16:12:42 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Well, yes Hammerwood. Your ahead of me in ordering anything,but as say if you play their You Tube mix, (57 songs) with a bit of research,(stupid Zon don't give tracklistings,but Wiki give some) you can work out which songs come from which album.

I like tracks from Nuclear Nightclub/The Lucky Golden stripes & Starpose/ Dark Album aswell, but then we might have different tastes?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 17:41:39 BDT
Martin says:
The first two Wigwam albums were dominated by Jim Pembroke and were a blend of psych, pop/rock and proto prog. They had their moments but the band really came into their own with the largely Jukka Gustavson-dominated 'Fairyport' and the follow-up 'Being' - just brilliant and highly original prog sung mostly in English with a Scandinavian accent! The track 'Fairyport' itself is just a masterpeice and still makes my hairs stand on end.

After Jukka (and ace bass player Pekka Pohjola) left, they reverted to their original sound but with a more modern production - more basic rock with few of the proggy elements that made them so special for me. Almost like a different band without those two, and though I can listen to the post-'Being' albums and still enjoy them, they lack the subtlety, invention and excitement of the other two.

Wigwam are still around today but I wouldn't buy anything they put out these days. I would, however, buy any album by Jukka Gustavson - the guy's a one-off and never disappoints. Just a magical voice and a sensational musician.

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 17:47:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2011 18:38:53 BDT
Hammerwood says:
Cheers, Cheese. Actually, any positive advice is welcome at this stage. Please don't think I will ignore your recco. ............... I will 'take it up' of course, but would just like to hear Fairyport first. Best 2 U and Martin.

(Who knows (?) perhaps our tastes may coincide somewhere along the line. Do you go back as far as The 'Ash, Mayall, Butterfield, BJH, Traffic, Camel, Caravan, Porcupine Tree, Rory G, for instance; or am I communing with the unconverted here? Not that I have a problem with this... you may well think I have poor taste, each to one's own, eh.)

Apologies, bit of a long afterthought to end a short offering! Also gone way off thread - nothing Scandinavian
here.... Oops. (Better go lie down in a darkened room and dream of Britt Ecklund in The Wicker Man then.)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 22:33:28 BDT
Hammer, if you like Porcupine Tree, check out Opeth, who actually are Swedish! PT's Steven Wilson has worked on some of their stuff. A mate reckons they sound like a cross between Entombed,(also Swedish) and Wishbone Ash!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 23:07:07 BDT
Martin says:
Best Swedish band, at least of the 60s, have to be Tages. Anyone know them?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  4 Sep 2011
Latest post:  26 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions