Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

AC/DC: Thier finest hour in your opinion and when did you start to go off them (if you did)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jul 2012 16:47:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2012 16:51:59 BDT
Finest Hour: Any one from

Let There Be Rock

If You Want Blood, You've Got It

Powerage

Flick Of The Switch [CD, Remastered, DE, Atlantic 7567-92448-2]

Never went totally off them but these were very ropey imo....( Despite one or two peaches on each)

Fly On The Wall

Blow Up Your Video

The Razors Edge

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 16:52:29 BDT
Robert Burns says:
Finest hour: Highway To Hell. When I started to go off them: For Those About To Rock.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 16:59:29 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Two peaks: one with Bon - Let There Be Rock (despite a few fillers, the rest hits still beats following Powerage (have to admit throughout consistent album)). SEcond peak - Back In Black, with new lead vocal. What follows, just below these standards. IMO.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 18:44:06 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Totally agree with Sovs' above post re their best two albums.
Reckon tho, if one was to compare the early stuff with the later stuff in general, the albums with BJ (apart from a couple) pale in comparison to the BS ones.
Just my opinion, mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 19:26:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2012 19:28:57 BDT
Brass Neck says:
With you and everyone else so far. I had the privilege to see them with Bon on the Powerage tour in 78 - an awesome show just as they were about the break really big. Every release with Bon had that knowing laddish leeriness to the lyrics which stayed the right side of misogynist smut (with the notable exception of Night Prowler on Highway) Highway is their equal best with Back In Black which was a triumph in the circumstances. The rot quickly set in though. I remeber so well bringing For Those About ... home and sliding the LP out of its glossy and embossed gold sleeve, dropping the needle and ........... realising how it was all a bit of an insipid fax version of former glories. I didn't buy any more until the brief 'return to form' that was Stiff Upper Lip and I have bought all the later BJ remasters when they were on sale but if I've played them twice that's about it. The Geordie screecher just doesn't cut it for me with his often sub-Viz fnaar fnaar lyrics. So 7 years of glory followed by 30+ years of meh-dom and counting.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 19:38:38 BDT
Brass Neck says:
There was a thread a couple of years ago and giving a point for each poster's choice of top AC/DC album the outcome was;

Powerage - 11
Highway, If You & Let There - 4 each
Dirty Deeds & For Those - 2
High Voltage, Back In Black, Blow Up, Razor's, Flick and Stiff - a measly 1 each

The thread's at http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/rock/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg3?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2Y7ZCND946QKR&cdPage=3&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3I5B6GKO3B9Y0 if you're interested.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 23:34:59 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Only recently got the album where 'Biffa Bacon' first enters the fray, as part of the 'Bonfire' box set. Some mighty riffage going on but, like most folks, still prefer the Bon Scott years. And If You Want Blood, You've Got It has never been bettered (imo).

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 23:37:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2012 23:49:10 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
'Powerage' ties with 'Highway to hell' from the Bon Era

'Back in Black' is the best studio disc from any era

'If you want blood' is the one you should listen to first

Nothing from 1981 til present has really rocked as much

'For those about to rock' was not bad 'stiff upper lip' raised hope somewhat and Black Ice dashed them again.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 01:11:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jul 2012 01:18:40 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Will go against the grain here and say that I always thought Fly On The Wall to be an ok album, not in the same class as BiB, but almost as good as For Those About To Rock, and better than any other Brian Album.
Whilst I'd rate FTATR higher than Brass (5th post), I'd agree that when ya get an album packaged like that - cannon and logo embossed upon gold cover - you're immediately impressed, and expectations of the album go even higher.
All in all a good album imo, but couldn't hope to match it's predecessor.
My vinyl 'For Those About...' went missing years ago, I may have even sold it, but I seem to remember the package being a gatefold type of afair, tho the album aint a double. Could anyone confirm this, or is it just my addled memory getting it mixed up with summat else?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 08:41:04 BDT
Brass Neck says:
JFGI Blastro - it was indeed a gatefold with a 24 X 12" live image across the inner;

http://www.minilps.net/ac-dc/for-those-about-to-rock-sicp-1708/gatefold-open-16384

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 08:43:09 BDT
Ahh, Tommo, AC/DC, the bastions of rock minimalism.

Truth be told it is the first couple of albums that I rarely visit. All of the rest have gems of such fine quality that I can honestly say I have not gone off them at all and reckon them to be amongst the most consistent hard rock bands in the world. Anyone who likes even a couple of their tracks and has never seen them live is missing something special.

Black Ice is possibly the weakest BJ album although Fly on the Wall is sitting next to it. Stiff Upper Lip possibly the strongest, aghhh it is so close.....

If You Want Blood is the strongest BS album. A stunner in every respect.

What amazes me about their music is just how softly/gently Angus hits the strings on the guitar. Listen closely and you will hear none of the hyper percussive string whacking of many others, Wilko Johnson for example. Angus plays with a gentle approach but has the amp wound up to the roof.

The other great strength is the Malcolm Young/Phil Rudd/Cliff Williams rhythm section. These guys can rock with swing like no other rhythm(one of the very few words without a vowel, please Carol, in it) section in rock. An awesome metal swing machine.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 08:44:00 BDT
Thanks!! You know what I mean ;-)

Awesome!!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 08:45:05 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Yes it was wonderful for me too darling! ;¬P

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 09:35:32 BDT
Post Soviet says:
'If You Want Blood is the strongest BS album.'

If we count Live albums, fully agree, it works as their first compilation!

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 10:06:55 BDT
Martin says:
Highway to Hell was their zenith - in more ways than one, as it turned out. Back in Black was kind of the Phil Collins Genesis equivalent - good but not the same somehow.

Having said that, I also think Cold Ice is a fine album and even Zeppelinesque in places, which AC/DC never were before.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 10:18:28 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
IMO, they're one of those bands who come across best live which makes If You Want Blood by far their best. Everything since just sounds formulaic, one dimensional and stale plus Biffa's vocals grate badly. Similarly with Quo. Live is good fun but all the casual fan really needs.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 12:04:27 BDT
Brass Neck says:
BLACK Ice maybe? Or you're a closet Foreigner addict?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 15:20:19 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Now that's not a nice thing to accuse anyone of being.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 16:34:17 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Hey, I'm willin' to sacrifice (his) love, I've seen it before, happens all time, closing the door, you leave the world behind ........

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 16:39:11 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Google it, Brass? Now, that's just expecting me to apply common sense! : )
Glad to know my memory still works on some level, tho I couldn't remember the live image inner.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 22:43:38 BDT
It is a very wide angle shot, possibly an 18mm lens to use the old terminology, of the band on stage in full flow with Brian holding his hands up pointing to the roof with both hands. If memory serves correctly.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 22:53:09 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
Powerage. A Brian - Era best of would be a good move on their part. There are always a couple of crackers on the later albums although it went downhill after For Those About To Rock for me.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 22:57:08 BDT
Did I ever mention I shared a piss with them at Stevenage College in Edinburgh?

...as i explained at the time, we just happened to go for one at the same time, we were'nt drinking it out of a communal glass or anything.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 23:46:34 BDT
For me, all of the Bon-era stuff is essential (Powerage is my overall favourite). Obviously Bon was an impossible act to follow in the sleazy wit stakes which was a large part of their appeal, as well as that distinctive 'gargle with broken glass and gravel' voice which quite a few Scottish vocalists are/were blessed with. After he died they could have replaced him with some hungry young soundalike from the dingier clubs of Sydney or Melbourne but Bon was a one-off and at the time Brian Johnson was an inspired choice to take over in a similar way to RJ Dio being an inspired choice to replace Ozzy in Sabbath. I like Back in Black and For Those.. but I thought they got less interesting as the 80s wore on and I never really kept up after that. Also I preferred the stripped-back production of their earlier albums - from Highway to Hell onwards it seemed that in order to further increase their appeal in the US (or simply because they had more of a studio budget) they were opting for a bigger 'arena' kind of sound which, to me at any rate, has dated their 80s output whereas the early albums sound almost timeless. However, they have kept on keeping on with relatively little compromise and I should congratulate them for that (and they certainly haven't gone down the tubes and blotted their copybook like Sabbath gradually did).

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 23:55:10 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Bon Scott died right outside my mates house and I live just around the corner, apart from that I've got nothing to say on the matter. Except I didn't rate them at all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (753 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  25 Jul 2012
Latest post:  9 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions