Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Proper fine guitar solos that never appear in poxy guitar polls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2012 13:17:07 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Sure the solos from likes of All Along The Watchtower, Comfortably Numb, Hotel California and Reelin In The Years deserve their places in best guitar solo polls but there's also a load of pointless fretw@nking dreck that appear with regularity. Then there are some peachy efforts I rarely if ever see in these top 20, 50, 100, 5000 lists
like..
Once bitten twice shy - Mick Ronson at the top of his game
Baker Street - not sure who plays on this but for me it eclipses the sax
Runaway Boys - Brian Setzer..one of the most underrated ever
Make Me Smile - you know, the acoustic solo on this Cockney Rebel classic
I'll Be Waiting - the live version from Moonflower with old Carlos at his best
Another Girl Another Planet - the solo makes this
Green Grass and High Tides - the Outlaws put Freebird in the shade
Another Brick In The Wall - dont get why Comfortably Numb always gets the nod over the little beaut on this
Boogie No More - not generally a fan of Molly Hatchett but there are two great solos here including the slide job
Big Bad Moon - ditto for Joe Satriani on his best tune

and more?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 15:14:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 15:15:18 BDT
Carlos Alomars guitar break in the Bowie chune, Look Back In Anger. A stunner to be sure.

More later.......

Oh yeh, Eddie Hazel in Maggot Brain, a classic!

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 16:59:04 BDT
2 great slide solos on like a rock by bob seger.

hugh burns does the excellent solo on baker street.

i also remember city boys 5-7-0-5 ,which had a pretty nifty solo on it.

and lynyrd skynyrds version of t for texas on one more for the road had some blistering guitar work by steve gaines on it that also tops freebird

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 17:01:00 BDT
gary moore still in love with you. so good even brian robertson wouldnt re record it

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 17:41:36 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
If the solo doesn't have to be long and pretentious Billy Gibbons and Walter Becker have been responsible for many of the best ones I've heard. I'm a fan of the '10 seconds of subtle genius' rather than long winded ones however I do agree that Comfortably Numb and Another Brick are both a bit special.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 19:11:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 19:13:07 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Absolutely RM. The main part of the solo on Once Bitten's about 10 seconds but that says more to be than Yngwie Malmsteen's entire output. Also well like Billy Gibbons' solos, they always suit the song and never feel like they've been bolted on because you feel you have to have one. I thought Becker was the bass player in Steely Dan and that all the guitar work was by sessioners like Skunk Baxter and Larry Carlton.

mention of Bowie and Alomar remind me of the great solo by Earl Slick on Station to Station

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 19:46:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 19:47:15 BDT
Brass Neck says:
What about the solo on Commodores' Easy just after Lionel Richie sings 'Oooh' like he's just followed through?
Tony Peluso's fuzz guitar solo on Carpenters' 'Goodbye To Love' is memorable.
There's a deliberately botched solo of less than 10 notes on Dr Hook's 'Cover Of The Rolling Stone' which I like after which Ray Sawyer(?) says 'Aww man, that's just beautiful'.
Another less than fluent solo can be enjoyed on Frank Zappa's 'Joe's Garage'.

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 19:57:44 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Hello N_D Walter Becker is a great bass player and his guitar work does tend to be a shared role with some great session musicians. I love the short lead breaks on 'Green Earrings' (Royal Scam) and I've been advised that it's Becker's work. I've never tried to verify this so I might be wrong. He also plays lead on all but one track on this Two Against Nature an album that some Dan fans are disappointed with. I think it's a great album

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 20:04:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 20:28:47 BDT
Leftin says:
Like this topic lots. :)

Any solo by Mick Ralphs! Here are 3:

Little Christine - Mott the Hoople;
Untie the Knot - Bad Co;
Give You My Love - solo.

(These are all tasteful solos, but he did burning paraffin stuff on Brain Capers and Straight Shooter.)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 20:16:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 20:17:14 BDT
gille liath says:
Almost anything by Richard Thompson, probably the most underrated guitarist there is - but I'm going to go for Hard On Me from Mock Tudor. Such cross-grained intensity and anguish.

The solos from Moonlight Shadow (Mike Oldfield), especially the Tele-style first one; and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits.

Baker Street, btw, I think, was by Rafferty's fellow Glaswegian Jerry Donahue. Who, just to plumb the final depths of unfashionabilty, provided some brillianr guitar breaks on The Proclaimers' Oh Jean.

And even the best-known have some solos that aren't as celebrated as they should be - eg The Ocean, Achilles Last Stand and Tea For One by Jimmy Page; Remember by Jimi Hendrix (short, punchy, beautifully shaped); The Rocker by Angus Young; Need Your Love So Bad by Peter Green.

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 01:25:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2012 01:38:40 BDT
TheFoe says:
Not a big Dire Straits fan, but the guitar in 'Brother In Arms' is superb imo.

Also the guitar work in This Mortal Coil's 'Ruddy And Wretched' always sticks in my mind, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-GKpHnnw7U

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 12:17:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2012 12:28:06 BDT
some good calls from nuge (another girl, another planet), gille (moonlight shadow, this always provokes donning of air guitar) & the foe (this mortal coil ; also like guitar work of durutti column). brasso, do you mean solo in toad-o-line from joe's garage ?
couple of my somewhat lesser known favourites :
cowboy junkies - rock & bird
marin stephenson & the dainties - little red bottle
(will try& find links for latter 2 when i've time ; at work now)
EDIT : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqrFq4XQnqc

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 12:26:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2012 12:34:51 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I've always thought of Lindsay Buckingham as a woefully overlooked player. All his solos off Rumours are very tasteful. Rather him any day over the empty showboating of Eddie van Halen and his millions of clones

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 13:42:30 BDT
David E says:
Not a rock song at all but the guitar solo in 'Goodbye To Love' by The Carpenters is a great one in my opinion - it's by Tony Peluso

http://youtu.be/jixeE8gkT-s

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 13:47:25 BDT
gille liath says:
I wouldn't call him a great guitarist, or his solos great solos, but I agree he's a good guitar *player* (subtle distinction) whose playing always improves the song. And that's what it should be about, really.

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 14:19:56 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Jeff Healey Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIkOaTVu8uM&feature=related

The Divine Comedy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIlPMw3qQog

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 14:38:38 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Yep, that's all that matters. Why does anyone really give a stuff about who can master hyper-fast sweep picking etc other than acnied little teenage geeks cracking one off to Eruption?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 20:03:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2012 20:27:44 BDT
gille liath says:
That's quite an image.

Yeah...I guess the best musicians are those whose playing is intrinsically interesting but manage to serve the song at the same time.

So Clear and Jack Orion, John Renbourne (Pentangle). Just beautiful: I doubt there's anyone who's of such a high standard in both electric and acoustic playing.

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 22:26:09 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
superb little solo by Francis Rossi on Quo's Fine Fine Fine from QUO(1974).
another excellent solo on Great White's Congo Square from HOOKED (1991) by Michael Lardie i think
Frank Marino's solo on 'Something comin this way' from WHATS NEXT (1980)

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 00:00:34 BDT
P. Parker says:
John Renbourne - brilliant - but if you want to consider someone of amazingly high standard on both electric and acoustic the earlier mentioned Richard Thompson is right up at the top. There are not many people playing solo acoustic that at a gig make you wonder where the other two guitarists are hiding.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012 12:25:08 BDT
gille liath says:
I love 'em both; I'd definitely rate Thompson higher on electric guitar, but I think Renbourne has the edge in acoustic technique. Thompson seems to play both types much the same way.

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 12:41:33 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I like Renbourne's folk-blues tunes but they're mostly entire pieces played solo rather than solos in rock songs. Not so keen on his medieval stuff. Have'nt heard him on electric but then I much prefer acoustic.

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 12:52:22 BDT
FDJ says:
The solo on the Byrds 'Eight Miles High' superb !!!

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 13:14:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2012 13:16:36 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Nuge, not strictly on topic but my unsung heroes are those guys that can also play tight, disciplined, in-your-blood guitar, I love a loose Rory Gallagher type guitar solo as much as the next man but for me the real talent is playing tight melodic grooves and "second-line" rhythms as though you were born with the rhythm: Jimi Johnson (Muscle Shoals); Leo Nocentelli (N'awlins legend) and Elvis' session man Chip Young (listen to him on Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'). OK never mind the song but man is he tight.
These guys are at the heart of proper guitar work.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012 14:58:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2012 15:00:56 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Clearly I'm not the next man MC as I've never been a fan of Gallagher or blues rock in general. That genre contains some of the very worst examples of pointless plankspanking. However, you're spot on with the rest of your post. Really like Nocentelli's work with The Meters. I go for guitar work that meshes in with the other instruments, not by rote pentatonic scales played at hyper speed with the distortion maxed out
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  3 Oct 2012
Latest post:  8 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions