Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

What is "Rock"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jul 2010 16:40:18 BDT
Toffeeman says:
This may be a little bit close to obsessing, but Post Soviet referred to Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop" as a "fake rock song" (or something very close to that), and it got me thinking. What exactly is Rock Music? We all use the term but how would we define it. Does it include "heavy metal", can groups produce "Rock Music" and not be a "Rock Band", can they be a "rock band" and produce music other than "Rock". Is the term "rock" synonymous with "rock and roll" and "rock'n'roll"?

(Be aware there are loads of other genres to be discussed and defined, and you can't go home until we've finished!)

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 17:40:21 BDT
Hi TM - you've set a real poser!

I would say it's a very broad genre much like jazz. In both areas, there's much I enjoy and much that I don't. It's a bit like art, I'd find it hard to describe what I like, but I know it when I hear it!

The trouble these days is that all media types are obsessed with classifications and boxes to place everything in, like the ad-men do with their target groups. Rock overlaps into all other areas - pop - MOR - jazz - blues - country etc.

It'll be interesting to see what comments are forthcoming on this thread!

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 18:16:49 BDT
Sera69 says:
What is Rock?

Rock is.

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 18:24:08 BDT
FDJ says:
I think that says it all

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2010 19:50:11 BDT
Toffeeman says:
I hope not!

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 22:52:10 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Rock is c*ck with an R

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 22:55:24 BDT
Sera69 says:
Crock?

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 23:00:10 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Corck actually

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 23:23:02 BDT
mickride says:
There is rather a long answer here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 23:54:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jul 2010 23:57:40 BDT
Agma says:
Rock music is a broad camp and genre which i would say is extremely wide, but can unlike many other genres of music it overlaps other genres comfortably, it's range can be detected in many songs which at a first glance would appear to be light years away. True rock music can be best defined by the following bands whom possess little to no influance of signature music catagorizing other genres. for example, "Rush, Dio-Rainbow, ac/dc and king's X" are probably the best definitions i can come up with to answer this seemingly difficult question, hope this helps!

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 01:01:26 BDT
TheFoe says:
What's hard, long and pink, and has members of both sexes eager to pop into their mouth and give it a good suck? Sorry Toffers, sensible answer tomorrow!

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 01:07:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2010 01:08:21 BDT
Lez Lee says:
I reckon that'll be a nice stick of Blackpool rock!!!
You probably thought no-one would still be up, so to speak.

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 08:23:52 BDT
TheFoe says:
Schitz is always "up" Lez Lee, the horny little devil!!

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 11:35:24 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Rock is what's left over after we've pigeonholed everything else

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 11:44:29 BDT
Toffeeman says:
I thought that was "pop"? You may well be right though...

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 11:57:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2010 15:30:55 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Rock is: whatever Rocks your boat!
An aside:Just read a review that describes Jack Dee as,"Having a face like a crate full of rotten memories" LOL!

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 21:50:21 BDT
Post Soviet says:
I would like to call one of characteristics that makes rock music different(in my opinion) from other music styles;
and that is much wider spectre of feelings and emotions expressed musically, in lyrics and visually.
In short - from nice and moving to things really ugly and nasty. I think any other music genre is much more restricted in showing these things.

But to define...i wont dare...Even with late Fleetwood Mac...pop or softrock...who cares ?

Posted on 14 Jul 2010 01:11:13 BDT
Rock is a euphemism for the act of coitus.

Posted on 14 Jul 2010 18:32:20 BDT
Euphemisms.... Something inbetween trombones and tubas!

sorry, just couldn't help myself...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2010 17:28:44 BDT
That made me chuckle, Ms FDB...

Posted on 7 Aug 2010 22:26:37 BDT
Baldman says:
its in the rhythm - the drums and bass lay the foundation for whatever plays the melody.

Posted on 10 Aug 2010 14:55:27 BDT
R. W. says:
Rock is Rusty Metal

Posted on 12 Aug 2010 21:42:01 BDT
I know it when I hear it but defining it is well nigh impossible.

As a further poser, I had a discussion with some friends a few years ago as to who was "rock" but not "rock'n'roll". I think the general feeling was that the latter, a subset of the former, had more tendency to make people move their feet and might even "swing" without necessarily being overtly 50s sounding but it was still pretty nebulous. The Stones are, or at least were, a rock'n'roll band. Iron Maiden are not. This is not a value judgement, just an observation. Take it from there.

ff
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (741 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  12 Jul 2010
Latest post:  12 Aug 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions