Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

New Releases - Wide Berth Advised?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Aug 2013 19:37:31 BDT
Brass Neck says:
There have been some very disappointing releases from respected artists and bands that many of us may have pre-ordered without hearing anything first. Certainly the Editors The Weight Of Your Love falls into that category for me and it remains sealed as a result of the comments and reviews I've seen. As for the Felice Brothers last outing after Simone Felice's departure - Celebration, Florida - the less said the better.

Are there any other new releases which you were looking forward to but which really don't deliver? Are they 'meh' or absolute 'pants' and why? Might help other punters to avoid throwing their money away?

Posted on 18 Aug 2013 19:45:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2013 19:47:59 BDT
Ok, as I have already stated on the other thread ("What Are You Hearing At The Mo"): BIG TV by White Lies.
Not sure I was looking forward to it exactly, but I was expecting/hoping it was going to be better than their second album which I also found disappointing.

Posted on 18 Aug 2013 20:01:10 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Listened to The Editors before parting with my money, and downloaded the only 3 tracks I liked. Admit I'm quite happy with The National and have played it a few times. Wasn't that impressed with Ron Sexsmith - Forever Endeavour, but the total bummer is of course, Pale Green Ghosts. I copied the 2 tracks I like and offloaded the whole thing to Peter who seems to be enjoying it.
Was looking forward to Noah and the Whale - Heart of Nowhere, disappointing but I think I was expecting them to have moved on a bit, which they haven't.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2013 20:15:05 BDT
Brass Neck says:
....and yet sometimes it's when bands try to move on too far too fast that the problems start.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2013 20:57:03 BDT
Not exactly new though it has been re-released with a second live disc to some rave reviews- Mojo by Tom Petty which I found very disappointing; turgid and uninspiring and I'm a big Heartbreakers fan from way back to his first appearance on OGWT in the late 70's.

Posted on 18 Aug 2013 23:22:22 BDT
through disappointment, disinterest and death, i will only pre-order albums by a select few - mr cave, mr cohen, mr walker and mr kraftwerk - i would need to hear anything else before it got considered. i'm failing to see much quality in most 'heralded' releases, but then again, i'm crabbit.:)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2013 23:25:04 BDT
Brass Neck says:
So disappointed/disinterested you actually died? There's fandom for ya!

Posted on 19 Aug 2013 01:35:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 01:37:04 BDT
Val H. says:
I love The Flaming Lips. Seeing them live is like becoming instant best friends. However, 2012's The Flaming Lips & Heady Fwends was a major disappointment for me. What a mess! Either that or I need to listen to it 150 times until I get it. No bad reviews here on 'Zon so it must be me. I haven't girded up my loins sufficiently to try 2013's The Terror. Anyone got any good news for me? Or maybe I should just accept that my tastes are rooted in pop tunes.

Techie - you might enjoy this review of Cave's last one (from last March):
http://themusic.com.au/blog/music/2013/03/18/good-or-shit-nick-cave/

EDIT: Will 'Zon let me get away with that website?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 07:44:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 07:46:24 BDT
thanks, val. that says an awful lot of right things - everybody - have a read

if you could have - it dissapeared just as i replied

Posted on 19 Aug 2013 07:50:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 07:53:14 BDT
Val H. says:
Blow them! (I did originally have a slightly stronger word there) I knew they would so I kept a copy:

I love The Flaming Lips. Seeing them live is like becoming instant best friends. However, 2012's The Flaming Lips & Heady Fwends was a major disappointment for me. What a mess! Either that or I need to listen to it 150 times until I get it. No bad reviews here on 'Zon so it must be me. I haven't girded up my loins sufficiently to try 2013's The Terror. Anyone got any good news for me? Or maybe I should just accept that my tastes are rooted in pop tunes.

Techie - you might enjoy this review of Cave's last one (from last March):
http://themusic.com.au/blog/music/2013/03/18/good-or-shot-nick-cave/

To access the above website you'll have to change the vowel in the word 'shot' to an i.

Posted on 19 Aug 2013 07:55:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 07:56:35 BDT
nocheese says:
OMG! Look who just got deleted! I assume you weren't just pointing out the difference between 'disinterested' and 'uninterested' then' , V?
Ah, explanation posted while I was composing.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 10:41:49 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Aug 2013 10:56:04 BDT]

Posted on 28 Aug 2013 10:49:21 BDT
RAB says:
It may be unethical but I've developed a habit of torrenting an album to check it out before buying it if I like it. I just haven't got the money to buy every album I want and there's nothing worse than looking forward to a new album only for it to be a turkey after you've parted with a tenner.

That being said I have bought a lot of albums without trying them first this year and for the most part I've been happy. Editors was a massive disappointment though. Tom Odell was a bit meh apart from the singles and the new Courteeners album isn't for me. But overall it's been a good year for new music, with Biffy Clyro, Joy Formidable, Deap Vally, Savages and Queens of the Stone Age all releasing cracking albums. New Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys out next month too, but I'll definitely be trying before buying on those.

Posted on 28 Aug 2013 11:42:40 BDT
Lez Lee says:
What's torrenting?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2013 11:47:56 BDT
flinging it out in the rain, if you don't like it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2013 12:15:35 BDT
RAB says:
It's basically illegal file sharing through a program called BitTorrent. Albums, films, games, all sorts of stuff get hosted on various websites and people then download them. The more people who are downloading the album, the quicker it goes as everyone's sharing the files. At least that's how I think it works but it's become a lot harder to do as most internet providers block the well-known and trusted sites which means you have to be especially careful about which file you choose.

It's not something I imagine anyone here would be inclined to do as strictly speaking it is illegal. I satisfy my own moral compass by using it as a trial service, the albums I like, I'll buy when funds allow, the albums I don't I get rid of anyway. Plus a lot of the time I end up going to a gig on the back of downloading an album, so money does eventually get to where it needs to go.

The other way for me to do it would be a Spotify subscription I suppose but I like to have the music available offline too which I'm not sure is possible through Spotify.

Posted on 28 Aug 2013 16:19:04 BDT
Yeh, I usually try to have a listen to a new album by streaming it first, if I can find it. Sometimes you can listen to album samplers if the whole album isn't available for streaming (and no, I don't mean the little 20 second clips that Amazon do). Fortunately I had a listen to the new National and White Lies albums first on the computer before I had got round to ordering them - phew.

Posted on 15 Oct 2013 18:19:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2013 18:31:51 BDT
S.R.J says:
Midlake-" Antiphon " due for release on 4 th Nov, just in time to chuck on bonfires the day after. I have all previous works by them , and I would attest they are wonderful albums, but I have heard quite a bit of this new album . It may suit some , but be warned it bears no resemblance to their 'trademark' quirky, folky, psychedelic and rather unique sound.
S.R.J
edit- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45Nvuk7hLk

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2013 18:54:45 BDT
Brass Neck says:
They lost their lead singer/writer? Bit like the Felice Bros poor last album recorded after Simone Felice went solo.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 17:38:44 BDT
S.R.J says:
Did a check Brass, indeed Tim Smith has gorrrrrrrrrrrn, that kinda explains it all really, nuff said, another great band down the chute .
S.R.J

Posted on 23 Nov 2013 09:22:52 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Yesterday gave proper listen to Slow Focus by electricians **** Buttons and decided it was 'meh'. I really liked their first two projects, Street Horrsing was wonderful Noise connected by one theme, Tarot Sport - uplifting melodic post rock sounding, but Slow Focus - just bunch of uninspiring sounds imo going nowhere.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2013 10:06:42 GMT
Brass Neck says:
The Midlake album's a triumph despite the loss of their lead singer - fabulous harmony singing more than makes up for Smith's departure.

Reflektor - Arcade Fire, lumbering banging synth racket and a loudness war victim to boot, distinctly meh.

Posted on 23 Nov 2013 18:41:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2013 18:43:17 GMT
TheFoe says:
Spirit - Legend. This is a prog album by a band called Legend. Not a fan of prog but thought this might change my mind as on this particular album they are fronted by the very talented Beck Sian. Alas even she can't save this total tosh of an album, painful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2XFdWWUW5Y why should I have to suffer alone!? ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2013 17:10:11 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
Foe - I'm surprised you got past the CD cover ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0x9e89be64)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  18 Aug 2013
Latest post:  24 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions