Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Any progressive metal fans out there?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Oct 2011 00:37:38 BDT
Being an ardent fan of all things progressive metal, there is an amazing band that needs all the recognition and exposure they can get. Going under the name of Myrath, they hail from one of the most unusual places for progressive metal, which is Tunisia in North Africa. Strange place for a progressive metal you might say and I totally agree, however, musically and lyrically they are on a par with some of the big names of this genre, for example, Dream Theater, Redemption, Fates Warning, Symphony X and Kamelot. So often with progressive metal, new bands are dogged with sounding too similar to Dream Theater, but in Myrath's case they are closer to the likes of say Symphony X, albeit with a few Middle Eastern influences thrown in for good measure. They have three albums to date, `Hope (2007), Desert Call (2010) and `Tales of the Sands (2011) and all come highly recommended and are readily available on Amazon to purchase. If you enjoy progressive metal of the highest order, then check this band out as they bring something very different, yet exhilarating at the same time. Let us get some feedback going here - anyone else heard of this great band - first thoughts etc?

Posted on 8 Oct 2011 10:36:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2011 13:51:47 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Welcome back T. I wouldn't describe myself as a PM fan but I always like to try music I've not heard before, so I'll give them a try and let you know later in the day

Edit: Later. I've had a good listen T and it's not to my taste.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 12:21:06 BDT
Martin says:
Strictly speaking, aren't Rush progressive metal? They have always spanned the two genres quite well.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 13:03:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Oct 2011 13:03:23 BDT
Brass Neck says:
If I ever come across any metal I think has progressed I'll let you know! ;)

Martin- Rush, metal? I love 'em but prog/rock surely, rarely do they enter what I'd call metal territory (a scrapyard?!).

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 14:21:27 BDT
Martin says:
I reckon they do, especially on their first couple of albums.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 14:26:51 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Hard rock maybe, never metal.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 14:39:17 BDT
Martin says:
Heavy metal is a brand of hard rock, surely? It would be too pedantic to suggest otherwise, I reckon.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 17:27:26 BDT
Oh bloody hell!!1 Not yet another genre. I hate genres, can never understand what they're supposed to be but OK I'll bite, what thwe feck is Progressive Metal?

Posted on 9 Oct 2011 17:52:27 BDT
Well none the wiser but a great band/album whatever

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2011 23:26:00 BDT
Martin says:
Aren't all metals progressive in that they decay into some other kind?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2011 18:36:12 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Isn't that regressive metal then?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2011 08:37:17 BDT
Phatmandan says:
It's taken me Thirty years to get over Emerson, Lake and Palmer progressive metal would only confuse me.

Posted on 13 Oct 2011 10:09:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Oct 2011 10:12:13 BDT
Wayne says:
Big fan of Dream theater, opeth, symphony x and fates warning so yeah I'd call myself a prog metal fan. Big fan of prog overall to be honest as I listen to pink floyd and rush aswell with a bit of yes. Like porcupine tree and anathema aswell who I would say are now more prog rock these days. Far from their death metal roots. I would probably also classify my dying bride as prog. Although they tend to be labled gothic metal I would say they were more progressive.

Other prog bands I would classify as metal rather than rock that I really like would be:

Communic
Zero hour
Riverside

Minds gone blank now, I'll have a think after work.

Posted on 1 Dec 2011 14:13:02 GMT
Isabella says:
Prog fans should definitely give Lost in Thought a listen, they are a young UK band who signed with Inner Wound records in May (I think), this year, and recently released their debut album 'Opus Arise'. Its really very good for a debut and they are definitely going places, if the strength of this album is anything to go by!

Posted on 1 Dec 2011 21:23:25 GMT
Toffeeman says:
I didn't know but, looking at the lists of groups I would say, on balance, "no".

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 08:59:55 GMT
Many thanks for the recommendation. I do however have Lost in Thought's debut, which I agree is a very well crafted piece of progressive metal and an exciting listen nonetheless. Another excellent British (London) band who are starting to make a few splashes in the progressive metal ocean is Haken. Both their albums are well worth checking out.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 09:03:29 GMT
Post Soviet says:
I am very progressive metal fan, and constantly evolving.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  8 Oct 2011
Latest post:  2 Dec 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions