Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Bob Welch: R.I.P. June 8th, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jun 2012 23:47:27 BDT
FORMER Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch has died after shooting himself in the chest in an apparent suicide.

His wife Wendy found the 66-year-old's body at their home in Nashville, Tennessee, on Thursday around midday.

He had suffered a single gunshot wound.

Welch was a guitarist and vocalist with the rock band from 1971 to 1974 and later enjoyed a solo career with hits including Sentimental Lady and Ebony Eyes.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said Welch left a suicide note and had been suffering from undisclosed "health issues" recently.

Fleetwood Mac's career took off in the mid-1970s after Welch left the band.

He clashed with his former band mates after suing the group in 1994 for unpaid royalties, which led to his exclusion from the group's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 1998.

Speaking at the time, Welch said: "It basically comes down to the fact that they don't like me anymore.

"I guess they can do what they want. I could understand it if I had been a sideman for a year.

"But I was an integral part of that band - I put more of myself into that band than anything else I've ever done."

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 00:01:16 BDT
Martin says:
Sounds a bit like the way Yes have always treated Peter Banks.

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 02:10:37 BDT
He was a great guitarist and songwriter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyN2KECUNY

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 08:57:51 BDT
Don Juan says:
How can Stevie Nicks say his death is a loss to the family of Fleetwood Mac? First she wasn't even in the band at the time and secondly he had to take them to court for apparent unpaid royalties. The result - they snidely omitted him from their Hall Of Fame entry.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2012 13:16:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jun 2012 13:23:40 BDT
'Sounds a bit like the way Yes have always treated Peter Banks.'

True, but Banks really didn't do himself many favours towards the end of his stay - his was the lone voice of dissent against the use of strings on Time & A Word when supposedly one of the group's keywords in their early days of struggle was solidarity. Added to that he was apparently getting sloppy and increasingly disinterested on stage, was late for rehearsals and gigs (tardiness was another no-no) plus he was the only one of the band who had stuck up for their recently-fired manager, Roy Flynn ('if he goes then I go' etc). When things came to a head at least Yes gave him the chance to jump before he was pushed but I agree it's a pity for him that he's been virtually airbrushed from 'Yeshistory' Pete Best style.

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 15:50:53 BDT
Chron.com:

Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood have spoken out about the loss of their former Fleetwood Mac bandmate Bob Welch, calling his death "devastating" and "shocking".

The singer/guitarist, who played with the band from 1971 to 1974, died in an apparent suicide at the age of 66 and his body was found by his wife at the couple's home in Nashville, Tennessee on Thursday, June 7, 2012.

Welch's former bandmates have now spoken out about the tragedy, with Nicks branding his loss "devastating."

She adds in a statement, "He was an amazing guitar player - he was funny, sweet - and he was smart - I'm so very sorry for his family and for the family of Fleetwood Mac - so, so sad."

Fleetwood is convinced suicide is "incredibly out of character" for Welch.

He tells Reuters, "He was a very, very profoundly intelligent human being and always in good humour, which is why this is so unbelievably shocking. He was a huge part of our history which sometimes gets forgotten ... mostly his legacy would be his songwriting abilities that he brought to Fleetwood Mac, which will survive all of us. If you look into our musical history, you'll see a huge period that was completely ensconced in Bob's work."

- WENN

Posted on 6 Apr 2013 20:53:09 BDT
Loved the way he told his story on the Rock family trees programme. Funny and scathing at the same time. Class.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  8 Jun 2012
Latest post:  6 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions