Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Best and worst or less good incarnations of big (ish) rock bands

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Aug 2013 12:23:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Aug 2013 12:24:50 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I've most of Metallica's stuff but actually play the less rated albums like Load and Reload way more than the supposed classics i.e. from the Burton period. Anyone else here go against the grain viz M and any other bands you care to think of. Another band that come to mind are Anthrax. Dont care much for their earlier thrash stuff but well like the John Bush period.

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 19:15:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Aug 2013 19:41:14 BDT
no a huge fan of tom waits, but i far prefer his island material (swordfishtrombones onward), to his earlier 'barfly' output

and with captain beefheart, indifferent to material after 'trout mask replica' (everyone's favourite double album), but before 'shiny beast etc'. imo his last 3 albums were the best of his career.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2013 19:24:28 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Swordfishtrombones was ON Island rather than post.

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 19:39:59 BDT
Spacepig says:
'trout mask replica' (everyone's favourite double album),

Which is precisely why it was one of the first to be kicked out in the ongoing 'Greatest Double Album Of All Time' voting thread. And quite rightly so if you ask me :-)

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 19:40:34 BDT
i know, t'was not very well put, grammatically

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 19:56:13 BDT
Spacepig says:
OK, after my mini rant I suppose I best contribute something valid to Nuge's discussion:

Not that I have anything at all against their earlier, more critically acclaimed output but if I could have only one Pink Floyd album I would probably go for The Final Cut.

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 23:02:23 BDT
Thin Lizzy,despite numerous changes,always remained consistently good for most of their career but highlights,Nightlife(especially Frankie Millers vocals on Still in love with you) and Gorham/Robertson partnership,(much as I loves Gary Moore.)
Yes-again most of their output I have collected and enjoyed over the years but must admit Close to the Edge teaming Rick Wakeman with Bill Bruford probably their finest hour,worst moments Patrick Moraz and Trevor Rabin,though it was nice to see Tony Kaye back in harness.

Posted on 24 Aug 2013 13:37:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Aug 2013 01:51:54 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Some of Love's later and lesser known albums are rather good. If you can get a hold of a copy of Reel-To-Real (thank you Wharfster) it's a fine and funky R n B album.

Posted on 24 Aug 2013 14:16:26 BDT
Flying Burrito Brothers - despite their tortured history the first three studio albums are essential and the (partly overdubbed) live 'contractual obligation' album released in 1972 just as the band was imploding is OK. Little, if any, of their subsequent output is worth shouting about. They reformed a couple of years later with only two original members (one of whom soon left) and became little more than an MOR country band who hung on for far too long.

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 01:33:31 BDT
easytiger says:
Dr Feelgood. By the time Lee died everyone else had left but I believe they carry on.

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 10:51:12 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Can anything be worse than the Faces touring with Mick Hucknall doing the Rod-job and Paul Rodgers fronting Queen doesn't exactly inspire?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 16:36:51 BDT
Yeah - maybe it should have been the other way around?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  23 Aug 2013
Latest post:  9 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions