Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Funk Metal...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Apr 2009 20:20:06 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Whatever happened to it?? The Chilli Peppers lost their mettle (metal) years ago - and much of the funk too!
Atom Seed, Ignorance, Mind Funk, Mordred; where did they all go?

Any chance of a revival in the genre?

Posted on 21 Apr 2009 10:00:51 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I was more into Faith No More and Living Colour m'self tho' FNM were not really pigeonholeable but they did do their bit for fusing funk and rock. Never heard of the others. I guess maybe the genre mutated ino rap metal and we all know what happened to that.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2009 22:22:47 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Ever heard of the delightfully named Scat Opera??

FNM - aren't they back together again now??

Posted on 22 Apr 2009 11:47:38 BDT
D. Livett says:
Whoa Mordred, not heard that band for a looong time. Maybe it's time for a revival, everything else these days is just a rehash of old stuff anyway...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2009 12:40:03 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
There was a Mordred revival on the cards but it seems to have fizzled out - I'm certain they were the first Metal band to use turntables/DJ??

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 13:13:33 BDT
Scott Bailey says:
I saw Scat Opera supporting FNM in Folkestone 1990, I think i've still got there album somewhere!
There were lots of other bands as well 24-7 spyz,FFW, Heads up.

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 13:35:38 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
24-7 Spyz!!!
The likes of Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit owe a lot to these guys - anyone remember Dan Reed Network?

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 18:23:15 BDT
D. Reynolds says:
Surprised nobody's mentioned Fishbone or Primus yet. They were pretty huge. Funk metal wasn't really my cup of tea to be honest so I'm not the best person to offer tips.
Am I the only person who thought Faith No More lost it when Chuck Moseley left? I really liked their first 2 albums but found The Real Thing pretty disappointing and safe. Admittedly Angel Dust was better but I'd pick Introduce Yourself and We Care A Lot any day.

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 21:54:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2009 21:59:12 BDT
spiderboris says:
Primus were bonkers. There are tons of mostly metal bands inspired by them, the Chili Peppers, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Incubus, Mudvayne... basically most of the nu-metal movement in the late nineties. You gotta love that slap bass.

Also, I always had this demented idea that their singer was Rowan Atkinson.

Go on, just imagine it... it makes sense! That really is Blackadder voicing 'Here Come The Bastards' or whatever it was called!

Posted on 28 Apr 2009 14:28:22 BDT
Scott Bailey says:
Forgot about fishbone and Dan reed network, also, does anyone remember the Electric boys " FUNK O METAL CARPET RIDE" and Extreme "GET THE FUNK OUT" all a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.
Funk metal didn't last long but was quite amusing as every other band that came along at that time were then considered funk, ie Mindfunk, there was actually nothing that funky about them!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2009 16:03:28 BDT
Mr. K. Moore says:
Please for the love of god NO.

Worst "genre" ever. spawned a million sound-a-like bands, and inspired generations of kids to do the same.

Thanks very much incubus, rhcp & chuffing ratm.

Posted on 29 Apr 2009 18:54:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2009 19:25:17 BDT
BOF © says:
Anyone remember 'Mother's Finest' a white/black funk/metal outfit from the 70's?
Best bones.
B.O.F.

Posted on 4 May 2009 12:12:08 BDT
Paul McNamee says:
Do you have to type "Best bones. B.O.F." after each post or is it automatically generated, like a signature?

Posted on 9 May 2009 14:50:57 BDT
that will be the All Saints

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 00:49:11 GMT
Saw Living Colour way back in the day with cracking support from Naked Truth (still listen to them once in a while!) - Vernon and Skillins were absolutley awesome. Two bass lines, one hand, shouldn't be possible!

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 13:51:03 GMT
R. S. Chaney says:
Alright! It's not every day that you see 24-7 Spyz mentioned. I saw Living Colour open for the Stones on their "steel Wheels" tour. Incredible performance!

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 21:26:32 GMT
hawklord says:
any of this similar to the heavier tracks on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain"?

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 21:59:19 GMT
M. Adams says:
I'd recommend T.M Stevens or Stevie Salas to anyone interested in this kind of stuff, I really like some of it -as long as there's more funk than metal and -most importantly of all for me- a bit of humour.

Posted on 12 Mar 2010 14:01:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2010 09:06:41 GMT
Anyone realise that Les Claypool of Primus was once on the shortlist to replace Cliff Burton when he died.

Imagine what Metallica would have ended sounding like with his stylings.

I remember Scat Opera, saw them supporting Voivod at the Marquee back in 1993, and totally ignored anything they were doing as I was verrry impatient to see Voivod.

As for Mordred, I think they sort of petered out when Funk Metal was buried by Grunge, pity as they were a really tight unit.

Update 13/3 - Checked up on Mordred and found they are still going, they have a Myspace page and appear to be more of a Death Metal Band now, although they have performed in their original style periodically.

Posted on 14 Mar 2010 08:46:59 GMT
Doc Benway says:
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Jane's Addiction - surely the funkiest of the lot. You can actually get down to 'Been Caught Stealing', 'Standing In The Shower, Thinking...' and 'Idiots Rule'.
For the uninitiated Nothing's Shocking and Ritual De Lo Habitual are the places to start.

Hawklord, a lot of rock fans and metallers are unaware of the mighty Funkadelic whose brand of afroed acid-fried heaviness are possibly the definitive funk rock. Eddie Hazel's guitar could kill on Maggot Brain: Remastered, Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow: Remastered and Standing on the Verge of Getting It on: Remastered. Each of these drips with fuzzed-out Hendrix style funk madness.
P-Funk y'all. Partying on the Mothership.

Posted on 11 Oct 2011 23:02:54 BDT
Lord Biro says:
definitely a fan of this genre. my top bands include Incubus, peppers, fnm. recently bought a Living Colour compilation, why did i leave it so long?! Primus, great band. How about Mr Bungle?, the funkiest of Mike Pattons many bands.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011 11:52:31 BDT
Toffeeman says:
MV,

As I see that BOF didn't answer....I asked him the same question some time ago, and he said that he typed it in each time.

Posted on 12 Oct 2011 13:25:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Oct 2011 13:59:09 BDT
James Warner says:
May I suggest Infectious Grooves - the alter-ego band to Suicidal Tendancies?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGFQ7O9h-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7XwCsx4fs

Plus French band FFF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LowoqC2_Pf4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKauynvZhs&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2011 14:10:12 BDT
CJ Loades says:
Maybe BOF copies and pastes it?

Posted on 14 Oct 2011 17:45:08 BDT
Cactus Dave says:
Saw primus recently, les claypool is a hell of a bass player, not really funk rock id say they were always a bit too weird for that, infectious grooves with the metalica bassist, red hot chillies, faith no more, jaynes addiction, living colour were always the big guns, if you like, listen to funkadelic and parliament, sly and the family stone, red hot chilis early stuff is a lot of covers from these bands, doctor funkanstine
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (752 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  20 Apr 2009
Latest post:  16 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions