Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Do they deserve a mention?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Mar 2010 16:59:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2010 23:15:02 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Zeppelin is the first name that is often mentioned when people talk about the greatest influence on the late 60's British blues/rock scene however do Ten Years After and Humble Pie deserve a mention?

Posted on 6 Mar 2010 17:09:22 GMT
Toffeeman says:
Yes, but probably not in the same breath....

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 17:15:18 GMT
Mark Kibble says:
Of course they do DM, along with a good many other bands, I'll not knock Zep, they were a decent enough band, though for some reason they were targeted as the chosen ones by many, surprising when you consider that the vocalist lets them down, I prefer singers to wailers, but thats just my opinion.

Suppose I'll get slated by the Plant fanatics now.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 17:18:39 GMT
Toffeeman says:
I'm not saying either one is better or worse, but there's a lot of people who find Stevie M's voice just as annoying as Plant's. All down to personal taste I guess.

Posted on 6 Mar 2010 17:19:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2010 17:22:35 GMT
Can't really agree with you on this one. Ten years After were OK, but Humble Pie were among the worst bands I have ever seen live, one of their support acts (Mott) absolutely blew them off the stage!

Strange thing is, the ingredients were right for HP, perhaps there was a personality problem as Marriott might have been small, but my God did he have an ego!

Before anyone has a rant at me, I have bought and heard much material by both of these bands. My vote for influences would go to Purple, Sabbath & (later) White Snake for the UK bands with these guys way way behind - sorry!

"I'm in no position for an act of sedition
but I really love to scream and shout"

Posted on 6 Mar 2010 17:55:18 GMT
Both top bands. I seriously regret not being old enough to have seen either in their prime. As regards TYA I think Rock & Roll Music To The World is a criminally overlooked album and Humble Pie's Rockin' The Fillmore is one of my favourite live albums - I can only assume Cornish was unlucky enough to catch them having a bad drug night.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 18:18:15 GMT
Hi SC - I think with HP, it was more to do with Marriott having a tantrum as once he had heard Mott, (this was the early days for both bands), he was all too aware that they were not going to better them, and of course they didn't!

I remember some folks booing at the end of their set.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 22:35:36 GMT
Martin says:
Stone the Crows would get my vote. They seem to be pretty much forgotten about now, but were a decent draw at the time and strong in every department.

Posted on 6 Mar 2010 23:31:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2010 23:31:53 GMT
Greysuit says:
And then there were those support bands that no-one went to see but often turned out better than the main act.

'Clouds' springs to mind and there was another outfit who seemed to do most of the big tours but (age being what it is) I can't remember their name.

☺ ☺ ☺

Posted on 6 Mar 2010 23:39:04 GMT
zargb5 says:
the best HP album was called 'live at the fillmore' a double if i remember. very good concert. The Pie weren't groundbreaking but just a decent band. I suppose a bit 2nd division. 10 years after were big in the USA but are a pale comparison compared to the top league bands like Zepp, the who, etc. I haven't heard them for years - but to be honest a lot of stuff i listened to in the 70's sounds mostly dated.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2010 00:19:51 GMT
Mark Kibble says:
Don't know if I read between the lines correctly on the O.P or not but I assumed T.Y.A and the Pie were examples rather than a difinitive list of other bands besides Zep.

At that time it was as much a movement as a new generation of music, and what made the underground so special was the diversity as bands like Caravan would play alongside Steamhammer, Gentle Giant could feature on the same bill as the likes of Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple etc, etc all with their own unique sounds and styles but at the same time all united by a willingness to create something different to their rivals/compatriots (dependant upon how you view it).

This is why I believe all bands who adopted this approach are equally worthy of a mention, one band alone neither would or could influence changes as far reaching as those that metamorphorised during that heady period.

Posted on 7 Mar 2010 09:52:57 GMT
FDJ says:
Saw Humble Pie in the seventies and very good they were to,Marriott had a an enormous voice(and an ego to match),where they differed to bands like Zep and TYA was that they came at rock from a more soul direction.Where most bands from this era cited Muddy Waters/Willie Dixon etc.,Marriott often name checked Ray Charles as his main influence.Rockin' The Filmore captures them at their best live,but their studio output was very patchy with the album Smokin' being the only exception.

Posted on 7 Mar 2010 11:12:52 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I agree MK. Another band I had a lot of time for in the early 70's was Man (and Deke Leonard). They were constantly on tour and in the early days they supported the likes of Soft Machine, Yes and Family to name but a few. I saw them headlining after Deke had left and they even allowed him to have a slot during the gig to promote his new solo album Iceburg. I don't go to many gigs these days, does this still happen? I can't imagine John Squire saying "please welcome to the stage Ian Brown"

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2010 19:13:26 GMT
Martin says:
Even Chris Squire wouldn't say that to Jon Anderson.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2010 20:28:06 GMT
Tripmender says:
No

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 05:48:57 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Oct 2012 23:03:42 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  6 Mar 2010
Latest post:  22 Jul 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions