Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

royal mail scam?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Dec 2013 01:47:37 GMT
wobberoo says:
Has anybody had an email from Royal Mail, saying they've a parcel of yours? Mine alleges that it's been stopped for some reason. I didn't 'click' on the suggested link, because I could see no reason why they would have my email address. I do have CDs coming from outside the U.K, but only from the 'Usual Suspects', which shouldn't draw anybody's attention. Let me know, as I know some similar scams have been flagged up, but not the Royal Mail. Cheers.

Posted on 5 Dec 2013 07:25:21 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for the info wobberoo I haven't had the The Royal Scam yet. I did get an e mail from my Brother In Law yesterday saying he was struck in Manilla and could I send him £2000 for the flight home. He's had his e mail account hacked and everyone who knows him got the same e mail. These scams clearly work but it's beyond me how folks 'fall' for these crude attempts to extort.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 08:22:14 GMT
That's a new one on me Wobberoo, but scam it is without any doubt. The RM always contact you by post as I have had to pay ransoms to effect delivery from the US more times than I care to remember!

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 11:11:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2013 11:29:26 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
The scam I'm aware of is a bit cruder - posties creeping about in trainers with bundles of "you were out, your stuff's at the depot" cards.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 12:20:25 GMT
nocheese says:
:-)

Just got one of those this morning, but to be fair I was out when the postie called.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 12:24:39 GMT
Val H. says:
... and there was I thinking this only happened in Australia! I don't think they even knock or ring, just leave the card in the letter box.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 12:28:06 GMT
nocheese says:
They do knock - with a sponge.

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 12:49:09 GMT
Lez Lee says:
I've got a lovely postman who puts anything big in the garage and leaves a note. He started doing this of his own volition to save me struggling to the door when I was on crutches. He addresses me by name if I see him out and about. A real sweetie.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 15:15:58 GMT
nocheese says:
My postie is an absolute darling as well - charming and helpful. (Sorry, Jamie, only joking about the sponge!)

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 16:35:46 GMT
FDJ says:
As a delivery postman of over 25 years experience i get peed off with people who say we do not knock. Do you realise that if no one answers we have to carry around your bloody parcel/package for the rest of the round (duration of 4 hours), and that is not something we want to do esp. when this happens 10 to 20 times over a delivery span. We want you to answer the door it is in both our interests.
Rant over

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 17:03:36 GMT
Adrian K says:
Going back to the initial post, my father says he received two such emails today purporting to come from Royal Mail, but more probably a scam of some kind.

Working in IT support I have seen a lot of scam emails. I don't remember seeing any from Royal Mail, but I did see something similar a few weeks ago claiming to be from DHL.

Unfortunately this junk is continually being sent out in massive volumes, and whilst most of the messages will be obvious garbage, a few recipients will be taken in by something that appears to be relevant to them, e.g. Paypal, if they have a Paypal account, or the bank that they bank with, or Amazon, or HMRC or whoever.

One of my work colleagues opened a file attachment purporting to relate to the Company's electronic payroll submission, and infected his PC with a nasty piece of malware that took over the computer and made it into a spambot sending out more of this junk to the rest of the Internet. We have anti-virus on all our PCs, but regular anti-virus is not always effective against the worst kinds of malware that may be encountered. The spambot activity goes on in the background, so the first that we knew about it was when our outgoing email got blacklisted.

All that was bad enough, but it would have been much worse if we had been infected by Cryptolocker, subject of a warning last month from the National Crime Agency: http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/256-alert-mass-spamming-event-targeting-uk-computer-users

There is also a delivery scam to beware of involving delivery of a package, typically a mobile phone, that has not been ordered: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/mobile-phone-delivery-scam-rise-134157995.html

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 17:42:44 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
Fair enough FDJ - good and bad everywhere, as Les and nc have confirmed. Guess it depends on the area you work in too.

But when I recently caught my local postie trying to push a card through my door his excuse was "I didn't think you'd be in, the parcel's in the van". Now this was 10.00 am on a Saturday morning.

However, I've had a note from RM today entitled 'We Love Parcels' so all is well.

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 17:53:41 GMT
Our parcels come by van so need for postie to carry stuff around if it is not delivered. Some of the drivers are brilliant and go that extra mile but for most it is 0 secs arrive at door and ring bell, o.5 secs bang loudly on door, 1 sec depart door,

Haven't had the rRoyal Mail scam but over the past couple of years head the same scam purportedly from every delivery company in existence. Usually get at least 1 a month.
Also had every known bank try to get my details other than the one I do actually have an account with oddly enough. The Tax Office allegedly wanting me to click through to obtain the massive refund they are due me and I get a PayPal scam so frequently these days I no longer bother forwarding it to their phishing team.

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 18:42:43 GMT
FDJ says:
Ok Peter and Johnny I will concede that van drivers are a law unto themselves, they are also a pain in the backside for the walking postmen as we are the one's that the customer sees and it is us who get the customers anger .Oh and I hate that "We love parcels" advert.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 00:27:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2013 00:39:06 GMT
wobberoo says:
How do you feel, FDJ, about a certain sellers's stock! excuse of delayed/ lost in post palm off? Never had anything allegedly late/ lost, ever arrive. And I'm NOT blaming the 'much maligned' postie!!

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 07:52:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2013 16:11:00 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I also have a positive relationship with my postie, which surprises me sometimes given that I've got a very protective Irish Water Spaniel who barks at anyone who wears red and moves. The thing I can't get my head round is Royal Mail's parcel delivery times given that more than 25 million of us are out at work during the day. I'm never in when the postie attempts to deliver a parcel that won't fit through the letter box. Here's an idea (and I know they won't adopt it because of cost). They should have 2 daily delivery times. Before 7am and after 6pm
It won't suit everyone but it will improve the fact that it's supposed to be a Royal Mail delivery service not a customer collection service.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 10:38:55 GMT
wobberoo says:
Never work, simply too good an idea!!

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 11:19:08 GMT
well, hats off to my postie this am - chapped door (9.30am) to hand me mail including packet too big for letterbox, and to inform me that he had a bigger parcel (miss ts's 'blur 21' - sssshhhh!) in his van, and proceded to give me options for a delivery time. was then delivered to the minute of time agreed.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 12:36:40 GMT
Brass Neck says:
I'm happy with our postie too. Uses common sense in trying the neighbours for too big packets or leaves them in fairly safe places (between the wheelie bins or by the back door) and puts a note through to that effect - helps that this is the driest part of the UK and a quiet, law-abiding neighbourhood - and he delivers things that should be signed for without my doing so. What narks me is when a packet is taken back to the sorting office the opening times are really awkward if you work but not in town, there's only one day when they open beyond 2pm. I pity our postie, he always walks with a lighter step after delivering chez Brass.

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 13:00:25 GMT
Lez Lee says:
My neighbourhood has locked boxes at the end of some streets where the post-van can leave small but heavy or bulky items and for the postie to collect them as he goes along. It means a little extra walking but is better than being weighed down.

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 15:42:10 GMT
FDJ says:
Unfortunately Royal Mail in it's infinite wisdom decided that it was cheaper to do away with two deliveries and just have one. They extended the rounds so that the postmen would be out for longer which was not too bad until they changed our times of attendance (this applies to my office, times vary from office to office) from a 4:30 am start to 6:00 am meaning by the time we have sorted all the work coming in from the big mail centre we do not get out until 9:30 or later! This of course means we are unable to deliver a large majority of parcels because the customers have gone to work! I am afraid what was once a service industry is now, like all other industries, just chasing the buck and customer satisfaction is low on the managements agenda. Things will also get worse now we are privatised.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 16:34:51 GMT
gille liath says:
Unless you never had the parcel with you in the first place.

This week I had a parcel dumped at a PO 20 minutes away, and a card through the post saying they couldn't deliver! They had never been near my house. 'Peed off' would be something of an understatement.

So don't say it doesn't happen. You may not do it but others certainly do.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2013 16:49:11 GMT
You walking postiea are the worst. The ones that deliver round my way always arrive when I am in if the mail fits the letterbox but when they have a packet that is too large, they hide round corner till I have gone out with dogs before attempting delivery. ;¬DDDDD

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 23:53:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2013 23:57:57 GMT
FDJ says:
I'm not saying it does not happen gille, in all jobs there are those that will try to cut corners, but if you had the card through your door then the postman/van driver MUST have been to your house. The times I get told by customers " You never knocked" knowing full well that I did and that I stood outside their house writing the bloody card out while knocking again. Or being told " I was in the bath". Well i'm sorry I can't see through doors.
Oh in answer to Red's suggestion of a delivery after 6pm, well that would work for van deliveries but would be too dangerous for walking deliveries due to the danger of robbery. I have been robbed of post three times in five years once at knifepoint.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 08:06:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2013 08:14:50 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Sorry to here about that FDJ. There has to be a solution to the problem. Delivering parcels at a time in the day when there is a better chance that the customer is at home doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I used to work in our local sorting office, at Christmas, back in my student days. The shift only finished when the day's last bit of mail had been sorted so sometimes the shifts were long. I worked with really nice people, everybody mucked in and looked after each other, including the managers. Long hours and repetitive work but they gave us a 15 min break every hour. Decent and thoughtful management in those days resulting in a happy, productive, dedicated workforce. I've taken those simple ideas into my own work. Never fails.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  5 Dec 2013
Latest post:  14 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions