Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Do all Women have rubbish record collections?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 624 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 12:48:44 GMT
Typo :) I meant "dare not to like it"

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 13:02:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2009 13:14:42 GMT
S. Phipps says:
I knew I'd found my Mr Right when I compared our CD collections (I have 1bout 2000+) and found about 80 percent overlapped. Mostly in the heavy rock/metal category. (Priest, Crue, ACDC, Maiden, Scorpions etc). But we've both since discovered plenty of new stuff (Placebo, Muse, Velvet Revolver, Scars on Broadway) and I also like classical, and some jazz. So I think you just need to find someone on your wavelength. Check out the rock festivals - I think you'll find there's plenty of females who love their music. Sadly amongst our friends it's the men who seem to be able to escape home life to get to a gig, whilst their wives stay at home!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 14:14:40 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
With generalisation being a given on this thread, I have noticed that not one woman has included a love of the blues in their portfolio (?), I mean actual blues, not blues based rock anyone out there love it or is this the men-only genre?

Ps. Harlow I left you a kind of question on the G. Isaacs thread, did you see it?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 14:32:03 GMT
Mc expand pleas on what is your idea of blues based rock. Eg I would say band like Zep, The Answer are rock bands with a blues influence but Joe Louis Walker. Otis Grand, Bill Perry play rock which is also real blues. One mans opinion of course and I know you were looking for a womans - does it count that I'm trying to get in touch with my feminine side.
P.S. my missus likes blues.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 15:19:53 GMT
I love Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Buddy Guy, and I love those shouting rhythm & blues singers - Bessie Smith, Big Maybelle, Big Mama Thornton ,on to the blues based big band swingers like Jimmy Rushing and Joe Williams. Aretha singing the blues, Esther Phillips, Dinah Washington - check out Ruthie Foster.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 15:24:23 GMT
Hi MC Williams - theres a thread called yellowman/gregory isaacs which I haven't posted on. there are only 4 reggae threads - please tell me where to look - cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 16:37:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2009 16:55:19 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Harlow
You Posted in reply to AW Dawes asking about Gregory Isaacs recommendations over on the pop forum.

I am listening to The Phenomonal Ruthie Foster as I type, great album. Just finished listening to Little Milton -Stax years, have you heard Roll With You - the latest by Eli 'Paperboy' Reed? he's young American white guy knocking out 60's style Rhythm and Blues - This morning it was Big Mama Thornton and Esther Marrow. so I'm enjoying my day so far !!

Peter Anderson. I guess for a generalised answer for what constitutes Blues Rock I would say
white bands with electric guitars that play a definite blues influenced sound, from mid sixties onwards eg. Free, Clapton, Rory Gallagher, Canned Heat, John Mayall etc. etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 18:57:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2009 19:14:43 GMT
MC - yes Eli Paperboy Reed is great - also James Hunter - aka Howling Wilf!!
I've replied to your post on Gregory too :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 22:20:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2009 22:39:17 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Harlow
I've spent a couple of great evenings in the company of JH, he's a funny guy, did you know he's part Burmese. What a fine, fine voice he has.

As you seem to know your R&B, have you ever come across a favourite of mine Alvin Robinson c1964 ? He never released an album but had about 10 singles, his stuff is always included on New Orleans R&B compilations, Gumbo Stew series etc. Man, what a voice !
He went on to produce albums for Dr. John & Carly Simon among others.

Ps. I've replied to your reply on G.I. thread.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2009 22:54:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2009 22:55:15 GMT
Harlow, you probably already know them but in case you're missing out have a listen to Bettye LaVette and Beth Hart

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 09:31:31 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
And another sweeping generalisation coming up, but one which I feel has more than a grain of truth. What separates men from women is that many females' music collections contain a high level of R n B ( not of the Dr Feelgood variety either) which is a form of musical torture no doubt used by US forces at Guantanamo bay. Sad to say mrs Dirt has a sizeable collection of r n b compilations as do many other women of my acquaintance. I know of no men who like r n b , well at least not openly admitting to it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 10:50:08 GMT
thedodge says:
Well as an almost 50 year old man ( maybe I should know better ) my last few buys were Knut, Terraforma Mogwai, The Hawk and everything by Kyuss. I also have been getting into graphic novels and bought a genuine St Anger tour T - Shirt ( cos it was their best album ) ballad lovers......I just don't know how I am supposed to be at this age.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 11:36:46 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
thedodge, while this thread is extensively about women's record collections, maybe we should start one on mid-life crisis !!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 12:01:41 GMT
Pearl Locke says:
Metallica sounds about the best place to start! Followed by a bit of old Van Halen, Brand New, Raconteurs, Sound garden, etc, etc, .

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 12:02:03 GMT
Krytical says:
Yes Nugent, if Obama does manage to close Guantanamo Bay then people like Beyonce could see an imminent drop in their profits!! Sorry to say I don't own any of that or anything really like that. Think I might be something nearing an exception to some rule or other. Will say the closest I think I get is having a D12 album, but they are funny.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 12:31:13 GMT
Mogwai, Grateful Dead, Biffy Clyro, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield & Steve Wison, King Crimson, A Perfect Circle, Russian Circles, South, Puressence, Turin Brakes, My Vitriol, Modwheelmood, Iron & Wine, Gutter Twins, Elbow, early Snow Patrol, Doors, Ashes Divide - I could go on..... Hope some of this qualifies as being reasonable - I don't obsess over music, however I try to keep listening to stuff I haven't heard before - new and old.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 12:53:08 GMT
EwaGlowacka says:
I am a woman and hate rnb to bits. I could kill anybody when forcing to listen to such things!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 13:22:41 GMT
Peter A - Bettye Lavette is wonderful. I must now check out Beth Hart

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 13:28:37 GMT
Yes R&B is pretty vile but Rhythm & Blues is fab:)

Also - before you dismiss all - maybe try out Rachelle Ferrell (Individuality,Can I Be Me) Jazzyfatnasties (anything), D'Angelo (Voodoo) - I suppose they are descibed as neo classic soul which is the real alternative to formulaic RnB dross.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 16:17:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Feb 2009 16:18:43 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Good Point Harlow
Extremely talented musicians like Ayro, Fertile Ground and Amp Fiddler (or Tramp Fiddler as my mate refers to him!) are now getting dragged into the same genre as those tossers, I suppose as usual ignorance is to blame.

Ps. Had you heard of Alvin Robinson (see previous post)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 16:27:44 GMT
M.C. wht stop at mid-life crisis, personally I think I've been going through a whole-life crisis

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 20:45:40 GMT
gst300 says:
.........you forgot Bonnie Raitt!

Posted on 8 Feb 2009 00:39:55 GMT
Kiss my butt male thing,

My record collection consists of the following:
Dylan, (including every single bootleg available)
Cohen,
Cash,
Nick Cave,
Tom Waits,
Led Zeppelin,
Jimi Hendrix,
Stevie Ray Vaughn,
Johnny Winter,
Buddy Guy,
Robert Johnson,
Van Morrison,
Eva Cassidy,
Fairport Convention,
Stones,
Beatles,
Brian Wilson,
Kinks,
Cream

PLUS I ALSO GOT: Gibson SG Supreme Fireburst; Takamine SE Santa Fe; Dobro Resonator; Hofner Laptop Slide

If only men were so coolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2009 02:17:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2009 03:23:41 GMT
Good stuff Ms. Spence! You have a better taste in music than myself! I notice that Dylan comes first on your list....if you have everything, does that include Dylan and the Dead? And if yes, does your collection stretch to owning records by the Grateful Dead? It would be amazing to find a lady who owns loads of triple live Dead albums! Thinking of a huge collection of Grateful Dead albums is enough to send me to the sort of drug habits that sent Jerry Garcia on his way to heaven! Also, notice you have loads of guitars! I'm suprised a lady of taste like yourself doesn't include Peter Green on this list. Other than the lack of Green...basically it's a list that is totally cool!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2009 15:37:28 GMT
lucyglitters says:
schizoid mark you are a cheeky young man! planet rock are always playing my record collection! i had to check they hadn't stolen it when i first discovered them . . . but i admit to having some dodgy stuff too - and i have never ever watched x factor! i have lost touch rather over the last ten years though, due to getting a horse - my partner hates robert fripp, says that genesis were originally named "penises" but there was a typo on their first album and refers to the vocalist on every tape i play in the car as "yer man with the squeaky voice" (he means jon anderson, even when it isn't - especially when it isn't)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  173
Total posts:  624
Initial post:  24 Jan 2009
Latest post:  27 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions