Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

The complete bo**ocks, talk tripe, no music allowed thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2126-2150 of 4490 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 12:54:52 BDT
Val H. says:
For a moment there I thought you had done really well to get two winners with a gale force ten blowing, especially each way!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 13:11:05 BDT
lucyglitters says:
it's certainly pretty windy today - hoping for great things from homecoming queen - because i'm a "daydream believer" - lol!

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 19:01:56 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
Well, my placepot hopes were "Overturn-ed" in the last today!

Black Caviar "nelly" got caught when the jock eased down without checking the rear-view mirrors. Poor Luke admitted it was his fault, and looked really embarrassed when he realised the folly of assumption. Naughty boy or haughty boy? I imagine that even though they won, the Aussie media won't "Luke" too kindly on the appalling ride. Certainly no fault of Nelly, she was allowed to canter as usual, but seasoned jockeys should never miss incoming missiles.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 08:59:46 BDT
Val H. says:
I suspect nerves, pressure and lack of first-hand knowledge of the course played a big part in the finish. I don't blame him at all. I think he had his instructions not to ride her too hard. All week Peter Moody had been saying that he would be quite happy if she won by quarter of an inch. That was a bit of a giveaway. Luke Nolen has ridden her in 20 of her starts and he loves the mare as much as anyone - he wouldn't have wanted to flog her, especially as they were still planning a Newmarket July Cup start at that stage.. Australian racecourses are all dead level (with one exception) and she has won all her races on firmer tracks. I think everything just conspired to cause her not to run out the race as well as we have come to expect but nevertheless a win is a win. The owners were brave enough to take on Ascot and Luke Nolen will re-run that race a million times in his head and hopefully learn from it. As one of the owners said after the race :

Werrett said Nolen had probably eased up on the mare too soon with the prospect of the July Cup in mind.
"Peter probably told Luke to preserve her as much as possible for the July Cup," he said.
"Luke admits it. Everyone knows it. He probably dropped the reins 75 metres too early.
"But he got us across the line and she is still the best sprinter in the world."

The Black Caviar camp achieved their goal and as a lover of champions, I was much relieved by the result - and very glad it's over!

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 09:55:32 BDT
easytiger says:
It's a foggy windswept morning on Mt Lebayi but we still have internet so here's a funny thing. I worked in Algeria during the height of the civil war about twenty years ago and things were very strict with islamic fanatics terrorising every part of life. Two things which kept on going all through this were the the vineyards for making wine and 'Le Turf' ie horseracing with Sps etc on the tele; surprising as drinking and gambling are two big no-nos.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 19:44:10 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
Whereas both big YES-YESes to us!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2012 12:15:41 BDT
lucyglitters says:
well, she did it, bless her - and now has a sore back for her pains - get well soon nelly! she really is amazing and i felt honoured to be there!

what with wins on sea moon and camborne as well, i came home with more money than i took - and as for mr glitters, the jammy g*t, knowing absolutely nothing about racing, put 2 on dandy boy and won 133!

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 13:41:11 BDT
Val H. says:
LG - glad you enjoyed Royal Ascot so much and that you came home a winner. It seems to have been a wonderful carnival with many memorable moments. You'll have to start planning/saving for next year now.

Onwards now to Wimbledon, Le Tour and the Olympics. It's shaping up for a grand year - England's Euro 2012 exit excepted.

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 13:52:42 BDT
Lez Lee says:
It must be lovely to enjoy sport! :-(

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 14:12:49 BDT
Val H. says:
If anyone on this thread is a fan of sport in general (and there's surely more than one), there was a great one hour show on our telly downunder last night called "Sporting Nation". It's Part 1 of a three parter on Australia's obsession with sport. Extremely well made and with a very droll commentary by New Zealander John Clarke (on the "White Australia" policy : "... West Indians could be invited here to play cricket as equals, they just couldn't live here on the same terms. In another famous cricket photograph we see the Aboriginal side that toured England in 1867 - there were 11 of them, although of course that wouldn't be known officially for a hundred years because indigenous Australians weren't included in the Census till 1967.")

Great footage of the Melbourne, Rome, Tokyo, Mexico and Munich Olympics and insightful and honest comments from the likes of Herb Elliot, Dawn Fraser, Murray Rose, Shane Gould, Margaret (Smith) Court, Marjorie (Jackson) Nelson - all from an era of the amateur athlete, and so very different from today's little hot-house treasures.

I'd be interested to know whether you can watch Aussie iview over there

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/23499

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2012 14:18:33 BDT
Val H. says:
Lez - even if you don't like the sporting aspect, the coverage we get here of Le Tour acts as the most amazing travelogue of France you'll ever see. Our team from SBS television even send one of our own leading (French-born) chefs over to introduce the specialities of each region and show us how to cook them.

Taste Le Tour
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipeindex/RecipeByTVShowMain/28/1/noperpage/15

Posted on 26 Jun 2012 13:16:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2012 13:06:45 BDT
lucyglitters says:
very sad to read of tragic death of young campbell gillies - shared a moment of triumph with the ill-fated brindisi breeze at cheltenham

http://taniakindersley.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted on 1 Jul 2012 07:42:16 BDT
Val H. says:
While studying the form for Le Tour I chanced upon this article re bikes in Edinburgh

http://road.cc/content/news/60667-edinburghs-princes-street-reopens-confusion-cyclists#comment-108675

Looks like the City Fathers have struck again!

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 22:54:16 BDT
Lez Lee says:
There's a programme on C4 called 'Fred Perry Presents'. Hate to think what sort of state he's in.
Unless it's about gifts he received in his lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 23:05:06 BDT
Martin says:
I think it's about all the free points he gifted his opponents, without which he'd have done the grand slam at least six times......

Or maybe not!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2012 23:20:14 BDT
Nah, it is a programme about gifts that look like Fred Perry.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 17:22:33 BDT
Lez Lee says:
From today's Guardian

"Avoid football supporters and "flat sausage", and never, ever, refer to a Scottish person as English. That's the blunt advice for Japanese visitors to Scotland in a new guidebook that looks beyond the predictable round of golf and a stroll along Royal Mile.

Not all the advice in the Insider's Guide to Scotland is prohibitive, however. It recommends Mackie's honeycomb ice cream and ginger marmalade, as well as Irn Bru; Lorne sausage, though - which is sliced and square, also known as a flat sausage - is best avoided.

The Japanese-language book, published by the Edinburgh-based Luath Press, notes the attraction of pub crawls, even urging visitors to get "merrily drunk" on whisky. There is advice, too, on pub etiquette: buy rounds, and if in a group, ensure there is enough in the kitty.

But it is cautious about interacting with the locals, which can be fraught with misunderstanding: referring to a kilt as a skirt is surpassed in the potential to cause offence only by calling the locals English, it says.

Travellers expecting Japanese standards of service will be disappointed: "Please do not expect to have the same quick, polite and accurate service here to compare with Japanese service at shops, restaurants and hotels. Be patient anywhere in Scotland, it is not Japan."

The list of dos and don'ts represents a cultural minefield for inexperienced travellers, particularly those ignorant of the finer points of Scottish football. It implores readers not to approach "men in green or blue football tops" and to steer clear of council estates. "

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 17:33:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 17:34:14 BDT
Gordon Dent says:
I like lorne sausage. Ginger marmalade is utterly bogging, though.

There might not be many men in blue football tops any more (unless they're Dundonians), now that Newco Rangers have been kicked out of the premier league for not rendering unto Gideon.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 18:21:52 BDT
Lez Lee says:
I like Lorne sausage too but it usually appears in batter round here. Not good.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 08:00:29 BDT
It took me hours to write, Lez ;-)

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 08:10:08 BDT
Lez Lee says:
;-)

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 10:25:54 BDT
nocheese says:
When I first came to Glasgow, I was bemused and bewildered to be asked if I wanted 'links or square slice' when I asked for a pound of sausages. Where I'm from a sausage is a sausage.

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 16:52:21 BDT
easytiger says:
Just back in normal land after a bad 3 day bout of malaria with no appetite at all and now ravenous and we're talking about square sausage, which, with a bit of haggis, eggs and tattie scones would go down faster than a Stuka with no air brakes. Mmm.

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 01:16:15 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
Beautiful analogy et!!! LOL

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 01:17:30 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 6 Jul 2012 01:17:51 BDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xac6e59e4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  4490
Initial post:  16 Sep 2011
Latest post:  6 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions