Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

The complete bo**ocks, talk tripe, no music allowed thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2101-2125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 20:19:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jun 2012 20:20:00 BDT
Derek W. says:
Not really, just that we're both old enough to know how to spell groat. For allI know they may have been legal tender in Lez Lee's younger days:-)

Posted on 19 Jun 2012 22:05:38 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Cheeky bugger ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 22:22:09 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Yeah, it was farthings not groats eh Lez?!

Posted on 19 Jun 2012 22:34:51 BDT
Lez Lee says:
At the risk of being boring (?) - I still have some farthings, 'ship' ha'pennies, silver threepenny bits, rupees and some annas which were perfect for the lekky meter.
Coming up next, my British Commemoratives stamp collection.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 22:38:24 BDT
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;-)

Posted on 19 Jun 2012 22:39:08 BDT
Lez Lee says:
;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 22:39:23 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Ay lass, remember when tha could go to t'pictures, sink five pints, gerra fish'n'chip supper and t'tram 'ome an' still 'ave change from a farthing? Ay lad, you tell that to t'kids o' today and they won't believe thee.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 22:40:50 BDT
I cant say anything, I have a bag full of coins/notes with a story behind each one of them.

Posted on 19 Jun 2012 22:42:40 BDT
There used to be a phone box near Letterbreen in Fermanagh that accepted the ring pulls of a Coke can for phone calls(true).

I suppose that is why there was always a queue of fat folk wanting to use it(humourous supposition).

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 00:08:18 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
When parking meters were first installed in Britain, it was quickly discovered that those newfangled ringpull things worked as well as money. Probably explains why within a year of their first appearance they were altered with a window to see the last "coin" deposited!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 13:03:05 BDT
lucyglitters says:
wasn't he wonderful? i backed excelebration to come 2nd, frankel 1st . . . must confess though, didn't win enough to retire on!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 13:38:32 BDT
Val H. says:
That's a champion if ever I saw one. Did it easy. Not even blowing.

Of course all of Australia will be riding on Black Caviar's back come Saturday. You have no idea of the public devotion to this horse. The ABC has sent its top sports commentators over. The race will be shown live on the big screen in Federation Square after midnight on what promises to be one of the coldest nights of the year. The daily papers have a countdown - "3 days to go!"

I did like a letter in today's Melbourne Age:

"IN THE Great Depression, Australians turned to a batsman and a horse. Where's the batsman?"

Go Nelly!!

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 15:56:08 BDT
Val H. says:
And another Aussie horse has upset the Queen's runner in The Prince of Wales Stakes. We're sure to be kicked out of the Commonwealth now.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 16:10:57 BDT
lucyglitters says:
hi valerie, if you're talking about so you think, the glitters money was on him - i'm going to ascot on saturday and very much looking forward to seeing nelly in action - it will be an honour and a privilege, comparable only with being there when kauto star won his 5th king george on boxing day

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 05:42:19 BDT
Val H. says:
LG - hope the sun shines and that you have a lovely day. Have you got a little polka dot number to wear?

http://www.blackcaviar.net.au/news/groupies-saddle-caviars-big-day-ascot

and maybe you'd like to travel in style

http://belesprit09.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/black-cabiar-owners-in-london/

Win or lose, hope it's a great day for race-goers. Enjoy!!! And bring home lots of moolah for the Glitters family fortune.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2012 13:00:29 BDT
lucyglitters says:
sadly laura ashley was the best i could aspire to!

http://www.lauraashley.com/invt/md818

i see it's on sale now! so looking forward to it - we've got rain now though :(

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 14:08:07 BDT
Val H. says:
Very pretty and sure to conform to Ascot's dress code. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a rain-free Saturday for you.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2012 14:17:43 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Won't help Val, we've got rain pretty much until the middle of next week. Heavy going!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2012 15:54:36 BDT
Val H. says:
Snap! It's been bucketing down here all day and cold with it - currently 9.7. The highest temp forecast for the next seven days is 14 degrees. Roll on summer!

And heavy going won't do Black Caviar any favours either.

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 00:48:21 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
It's been great watching the Oz news teams interviewing and being interviewed by the British racing tv presenters on BBC, Racing UK and ATR. An Aussie sports presenter at Ascot today said there are around 8,000 Australians attending Ascot on Saturday, and more who've come over here to find they couldn't get tickets. I'm hoping Nelly will emulate Frankel's run on Tuesday. He's been upped to 141 in the ratings after his demolition of the field, and as she was rated only 4 behind him we should expect her rating to reach new heights too.

After a bad day's betting on Tuesday at Ascot (including losing the placepot on the third race), Wednesday was better with the winner of the first (20/1 SP, I use Betfair so got 26) covering the rest of the day, but placepot went with 4th race. Today, 4 winners for a change, thanks to my friend Matt (of Geegeez blog)'s tips. He got three and I managed another he missed, but more importantly my 48 x 10p (£4.80) placepot came up with the spectacular sum of £903.48 for the six surviving threads.

Who's a happy bunny?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 06:13:49 BDT
Val H. says:
Wow!!! and where are you investing that tidy sum? More music? classic movies? a bit to your local hostelry?

Well done!!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 12:06:46 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Jun 2012 14:44:55 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 12:19:18 BDT
Val H. says:
Good shot, old chap!

Hewitt is an embarrassment to Australia with his on-court carry-on. Bleughhh!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 12:22:08 BDT
Martin says:
And sadly it seems that cap was grafted on to his head (the wrong way round) when he was about 16, and comes across as rather naff in 2012 at the age of 30!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 12:51:10 BDT
lucyglitters says:
that's a huge win by my standards! got princess highway yesterday and fast or free, with gale force ten e/w in the first

tomorrow is going to be:

A generally dry day with some bright or sunny spells, however a few isolated showers are possible. Remaining cool. Becoming cloudier later ahead of further rain.

nelly is reported to be in "tip-top condition" but already there are 17 non-runners declared for today
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  82
Total posts:  5154
Initial post:  16 Sep 2011
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions