Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Do all Women have rubbish record collections?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 624 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 10:45:30 GMT
BOF © says:
Spider it's just us blokes getting in touch with our feminie sides
hahahahahahahahahahah

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 11:08:59 GMT
We discovered a lot about B.O.F's 'feminine side' on the Lovin' Spoonful thread!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 11:21:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jan 2009 11:34:31 GMT
BOF © says:
Schizoid
Just re-read my posting on the Lovin' Spoonful thread can't find anything remotely feminine on my postings, now one or two others................... or maybe you meant lack of .............

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 11:38:59 GMT
B.O.F. - may I direct your attention to the last 3 or 4 posts on the thread! Laughs.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 15:44:01 GMT
On the whole senses topic, I only meant sight verses sound. I found I stopped actively sitting and watching TV when my eye sight deteriorated. Currently I can see fine with my contacts in, but can only focus on stuff several cms in front of my nose without. Because of it I tend to listen more, rather than watch; or at least I am in that habit. However like that lady you mentioned I'm a writer. Yes you can get dictating software, but I don't like the idea of using that. When I write the words flow through my fingers without conscious thought, and I don't think speaking them would work the same way. Losing either sense is a great fear of mine for that reason; I was just illustrating my reply to Paranoid Hippy's point that she thought men felt more for their record collections. It wasn't meant to be a flip aside. Sorry about that SpiderBoris. And sorry to you Mr NAA, but I do understand to a small degree.

I'm going to go against trend. I have my mp3s organised by genre (my own genres - not what the database thinks) because my new mp3 players let me. I don't organise my cds, and kinda like having to spend ages trawling through hundreds of cds to get the one I want. I find things I'd forgotten about. Admittedly I never actually play my original cds beyond the ripping, as I like the freedom of masses of music in one little box. That's why I don't miss vinyl and fancy artwork, as it really is just the music - or data now I suppose that matters to me. Filing at work, however, is essential. It's also arbitary and horribly constraining. But since it's got to be accessible to all... Well there you go.

^_^

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 17:28:54 GMT
Yes Krytical I fully agree, women do have far, far better things to do than criticise men and with any luck, one of these centuries might even get around to doing them. ( Has the possibilty of pigs flying ever come up on this thread???? Better have a wee check)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 17:39:43 GMT
such a sexist topic its all about taste

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 17:40:24 GMT
Hi there ,
I'm a woman too and I feel that my record collection is more like a male's because I'm obsessed with my collection which is vast. I love all rock biut am a real prog fan, especially neo prog like IQ, Glass Hammer, Magellan, Spocks Beard, Area etc. etc.
I'm ncient and started collecting records in 1960 so have a rather enviable stack of singles, mainly Motown, Stax, Altantic originals from that era when no-one else had heard of them. I got very into Yes and Genesis in the early '70s and generally all rock music. Are most other women like me and N.Waters though? Propably not sadly. My daughter is though, She's in her thirties and was brought up with it so thats probably why

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 17:44:10 GMT
Krytical says:
Peter - let me know if it ever happens!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 17:51:10 GMT
Ah the memories. As a school boy (secondary) I made a major financil out lay to purchase a double album, namely Tales from Topographic Oceans. I can safely say that despite the many intervening decades and some really poor decisions that this probably ranks as the biggest mistake ever. Not even Dubya made an error that bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 20:16:24 GMT
BOF © says:
Naw Schizoid still can't see it I'm writing about drinking, local bars and classical music it's you who doing the phnaw phnaw nudge nudge wink wink with 'bending over' kicking your wallet to the wall, etc I was the one who said never heard Plastic bertrand played in Bruge,

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 21:22:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jan 2009 21:24:54 GMT
B.O.F - Only joking..maybe I've watched too many 'Carry On..' Films!, as I get older I think I'm turning into Sid James!
Mr S.L. Smith - You obviously haven't read the original post or the replies of many women here! It is not 'sexist', try to read before posting such a dismissive comment.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 21:43:35 GMT
J. Nielsen says:
Ahem.... 42 year old female and my record collection is made up of metal, rock and punk. I spent last night at the Kerrang Rentless Energy Drink Tour with my daughter watching MSI and the amazing Black Tide. My favourite christmas presents this year were my Disturbed CDs. My favourite tv channel is kerrang. The only reason I spotted this thread was because I was ordering CDs. Black Tide and MSI's new single. :D

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 02:32:44 GMT
spiderboris says:
Nice one, Mrs Sherwin and Ms Nielsen. There is that prejudice also that 'older folks,' shall we say, know flip all about popular music and therefore aren't 'down wiv da kidz'. This would probably also apply to women more than men going on how 'rock' (again, whatever that is - that idea of what 'rock' actually is has been raised elsewhere) is usually seen as being exclusively the domain of 'the bloke.'

As with everything, it's who you are, and not what the world thinks you might be, that defines your musical bent, the stuff you like to listen to and what catagory you'd prefer to see your favourite band in, be it prog, math-metal, nu-jazz or whatever.

And I think I already claimed the right to be the reincarnation of Sid James, BOF and Schizoid - although maybe too much posting on Amazon has the uniquely deleterious effect of turning us all into inane Carry-On-indebted innuendo-dispensers of the highest order. hyuk, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk...

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 12:23:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jan 2009 14:19:41 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Lets widen this subject a little: DO WOMEN CARE ABOUT HI-FI QUALITY?

OK, if money were no object (lottery win etc.) how important would upgrading to a high-end
quality home stereo system be to most women? Judging from my male friends it would be pretty high up on their wish lists.

One mate of mine, having finally paid off his mortgage, went out and spent £1600 on a new cd player and amplifier and another £450 on reconditioning his electro-magnetic speakers. Another saved up for years so he could buy a new pre-amp by Classe (over a thousand pounds.)

Personally I own a mid range/priced seperates system but do need new speakers owing to the
fact that one of my cats clawed through one of the cones ! The ones I really want cost £1400.
So I am now going to save up and buy a pair for around £400.

As women do you empathise with our lust for quality hi-fi or do you think it is a particularly male perversion !!

Or maybe as a male are you not that bothered about hi-fi. yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 13:02:13 GMT
Lacisna says:
Hi Schizoid. The simple subjective answer to your subjective question, is no. At least in my collection, there are a lot of great and varied artists of all cultures and genres.

And what do you define as rubbish? My taste for post-punk, South American protest songs and Lou Reed was rubbish to some of my female contemporaries, who loved Duran Duran and Celine Dion. It was however a female friend who introduced me to John Foxx - for which I am grateful.

I don't obsess over my collection but I am proud of its variety and that the next addition will be vastly different to the last. And I arrange it alphabetically by artist and get cross if it gets messed up. Ouch, it hurts to admit it.

Personally I haven't met many men who include some opera or classical in their collections. The usual excuse is that it's 'not sexy enough', a total myth if you don't do your homework.

The problem is that in order to have a 'great'/'interesting' record collection you have to be slightly, or vastly left field. Hence the absence of X factor, and Simply Red. Being left field, for a girl, in my experience means not attracting so many boys! There must have been a good reason you went out with those women, right, in spite of their record collections? Come on, if you look a bit harder, you do find women who have different musical tastes. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 13:05:30 GMT
Lacisna says:
You are right Asha, it's beyond belief that some people think women aren't into music as much as men. What planet are they on, I wonder?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 13:16:26 GMT
Krytical says:
ok M.C.
WAY out there with you. I would OBVIOUSLY move! Once that was accomplished I would have to have an immense sound system but would also have to go to the lengths of wiring the whole house out so that there were speakers throughout so I could enjoy the sound quality (and volume) no matter were I was in the house.......... After I'd build a garage the size of the one in Batman and Robin BUT THAT'S another story!

To carry on with the movie thing too though I would have my own cinema room and projector too.............

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 13:47:31 GMT
N. Waters says:
I think you make a good point M.C.. Whatever may be concluded about my musical tastes, I'm afraid that as far as technology is concerned I do conform strongly to the stereotypical (no pun intended!) female image, and am something of a technophobe.
Technology is great as a means to an end (in this case, making the music sound better), but I can't get excited about it for its own sake.
Nicky

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 14:34:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jan 2009 14:45:27 GMT
AMparr says:
same age group as some others here - loved Led Zepp in my teens and love Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park in my 50s...thank goodness for my iPod to carry all the music around - not as heavy as all that vinyl - lol

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 14:52:44 GMT
AMparr & Lacisna - just the response I wanted, sounds like you both have excellent tastes in music! Actually I own loads of classical music although I admit to having a serious aversion to opera!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 16:36:16 GMT
The Who allege they performed opera, so if you own Tommy youcan lay claim to being a true all-rounder.
P.S. I am sending this from Jupiter.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 16:51:29 GMT
Yes Peter! Rock Opera is different! I'm actually going to see the band that released the first ever Rock Opera tonight! The Pretty Things. I'm really looking foward to it. Enjoy Jupiter!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 17:27:46 GMT
The Pretty Things eh. lucky devil. Ocean Colour Scene are about the only group that bother their backside to play here anymore and its about two years since even they put in an appearance. Have a nice time, don't bother about me sitting here green with envy, muttering about the injustices of it all and getting bitter and going on and on and on and................................................

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2009 17:54:53 GMT
Krytical says:
Thought Elvis played on Jupiter? If I've been lied to I'm cancelling the vacation.........
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (743 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  173
Total posts:  624
Initial post:  24 Jan 2009
Latest post:  27 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions