Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Subscribe and Save Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Best Live Albums (Not Bootlegs)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 170 posts in this discussion
Posted on 8 Mar 2012 21:48:06 GMT
J Fenner says:
I think everything I would mention has been, but didn't notice Allman Brothers Live at Fillimore and Rainbow Live in Munich.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 21:36:15 GMT
Hi Smitty, I think it's a curate's egg - see my review: Some Girls - Live In Texas '78 (DVD + CD) [2011]. May be different equipment but I thought the mix was better on the CD.

I liked the stripped-down presentation but, while Jagger is in very fine voice except right at the start, and the rest of the band are good to excellent for the most part, Keith plays some really uninspired lead guitar at times - amply illustrated on the two Chuck Berry covers though these aren't the only ones - and it drags the whole band down at times. Then they get to the new stuff and become a different band - one could only wish that they played the whole album, it's so good.

As you're clearly a big fan of Some Girls I'd say buy it - the versions here mostly leave the album versions standing, though I can't tell you how they compare with the boot you mention. Check how good Jagger's vocals are on e.g. Shattered and Beast Of Burden.

ff

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 16:57:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2012 16:58:28 GMT
Yes, Jagger the "chameleon" master of ceremonies.

What did you think of the 78 live set? I have yet to hear the Some Girls live cd, but have the Handsome Girls 4 cd boot, the first cd of which is an absolute stoater, full of brio and energy, possibly the best Woody era tour.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 15:57:22 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Ha! Probably didn't check your link.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 15:21:26 GMT
I mentioned Live Wasn't that recorded there???

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 13:51:01 GMT
When the Brussels download became available I did find a site somewhere (sorry, can't remember, but it wasn't hard to find) which gave a detailed analysis comparing it to Bedspring Symphony bootleg. There were two sets at Brussels and the download takes from both. Plus, on the version of the bootleg I've encountered, as well as some of the Brussels tracks being from a different show, about a third of the tracks were from Wembley, including a superior Gimme Shelter. Apparently 6 tracks on Brussels Affair have never been bootlegged before.

Here's hoping re Leeds Lungs, I fear it'll be a while before they put out another 70s one but I expect they'll get there eventually. I did buy the 1981 show and while polished and slick throughout it's not the same band - stadium rock for sure. Jagger's appalling southern accent (they're in Virginia) grates. Has its moments but I won't be listening to it much. I suspect next up will be something even later, hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

ff

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 11:16:17 GMT
Those last 2 Stones songs will appear on the legit version of Leeds Lungs, which is a dead cert release if this Stones Archive venture keeps on rolling.

I was really impressed with that new legit release of Brussels, it does, amazingly, blow the boots, which were fantastic, into the weeds.

Point of information. My first ever boot was this Brussels gig, on a TDK SA C90 cassette, which I got in 1981.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 11:15:45 GMT
Smitty - you're most welcome.
N. Hudson - I saw that Velvets reunion, they played well and John Cale sang well. But Lou Reed's vocals made it largely unbearable. Unlike in their earlier days they didn't vary from night to night and the live album, which I've heard but thankfully didn't spend money on, was to all intents and purposes identical to what I saw. The only real high point was a fine version of All Tomorrow's Parties.

ff

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 10:50:54 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Smitty, just got this new legit Brussels Affair(from russ. site, which makes it super-duper legit I guess '0)), yeah, it's fantastic, loved four songs in a row from Goat's Head....., Star Star in good quality at last.
If only there was Love In Vein and Dead Flowers....
...but you can't always get what you want.

Any mentioned Status Quo 1976 gig in Glasgow, Slade Alive?
Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won?

Posted on 8 Mar 2012 08:28:28 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I love this one. Small venue and an unusual (almost) track list Stripped

NH I'm not a Roxy fan but I did see them on the 'Siren' tour. It's one of the best live shows I've seen. 'For Your Pleasure' has been with me since it was released and it gets played often. A great album.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 07:55:59 GMT
Thanks, Frankie. Great to get this info, much appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 07:53:49 GMT
Splendid!! Many thanks, Derek :-)

Posted on 8 Mar 2012 07:44:09 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Perhaps strangely, I prefer Roxy's "Live" to "Viva!". I think it is an incredible album, and one of the albums in my list at the beginning of this thread. Roxy were an incredible band, and are massively under-rated in terms of individual talent (eg Paul Thompson gained only a couple of mentions in the greatest drummer thread elsewhere in this forum). Live is a great selection of songs, played with style and finesse. I prefer some of the versions on this album to their studio counterparts. Roxy's later materal (say, post-Siren?) is even rendered bearable, sandwiched amongst the great renditions from their earlier glory days.

I think sometimes that reunion live recordings can be the best. In terms of official Black Sabbath live releases, Reunion far outshines any other. I never liked Live Evil - and that's not because I prefer Ozzy to Dio. (I'd go along with that cliche that Ozzy's Speak of the Devil rocked the socks of Live Evil.)

(It's not always the case, though, as the Velvet's reunion provided a decent enough live album, but nothing on the aforementioned 1969 - particularly Volume 1.)

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 23:41:59 GMT
The Stranglers Live X-Cert is a truly ferocious document of the band at their best. Roxy Music, Viva! Roxy Music which shows what a fine rock band Roxy were. AC/DC If You Want Blood, Judas Priest Unleashed In The East, and more recently Masters Of Reality Flak'n' Flight.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 23:18:35 GMT
Hi Smitty - that Velvets album wasn't recorded for release and carries a little hiss - but, importantly, not distortion so it's not remotely a chore to listen to, sound-wise, unless you're REALLY picky. It's ripe for a remastering though. It contains definitive versions of several songs from their third album and Loaded, and several that don't appear anywhere else or were first heard in inferior versions on Looby Lou's first solo album. They were one of the best live bands on the planet in 1969.

ff

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 23:13:55 GMT
M. Coleman says:
I always loved - Live Evil - despite the internal wranglings of the final mixes .
I also prefered " Rainbow - Live in Germany " to " Onstage " simply for the live Stargazer and keyboard intro .
Marillion - Live The Thieving Magpie
Rush - A Show Of Hands ,
Deep Purple - Live In Japan ,
Dokken - Beast From The East

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 23:12:21 GMT
Derek W. says:
Smitty - I can do you the JD

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 22:54:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 22:56:14 GMT
I totally agree with you about the Stones, Frankie. That Brussels gig is a stunner in this new legit form. Never heard it better.

Must check out that Velvet Underground stuff, not to mention JD.

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 22:36:34 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I have to agree that almost any live JD album provides more listening pleasure than their studio work - and that's saying something, because (regardless of what the boys think of the studio recordings) JD sound great on Unknown Pleasures and Closer. I think it's great the recent remasters of the albums come with the bonus live discs.

Also have to agree with Velvet Underground, who were also awesome on a good night - and thankfully some of those good nights were recorded, albeit not always brilliantly. It is odd that the 1969 album was released on two cds, but Volume 1 is definitely the better of two.

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 22:27:29 GMT
I'll put in a strong vote for the 1969: Velvet Underground Live: Volume 1 and 1969: Velvet Underground Live: Volume 2, especially the first volume (for some reason the former double LP was issued as two separate CDs). Great live feel, even though it's from a mixture of several gigs (bizarrely you hear Lou Reed say "good night" at the end of what was Side 1 of the double LP) and two venues - all within a few weeks though and the sound is extremely consistent throughout. The Velvets were, to put it mildly, not a band that simply reproduced their records live, set lists, arrangements and even lyrics changing from night to night. The version of What Goes On on Vol.1, with its relentless rhythm guitar and swirling organ, is one of my all time favourite live performances by anyone.

Some more:
Bob Dylan - Live 1966: The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert [The Bootleg Series Vol.4] (Manchester Free Trade Hall 1966) and Bootleg Series Vol. 5 are both excellent. The former is the famous "Judas" gig formerly believed to be at the Royal Albert Hall but also includes the acoustic first set, the latter is a mixture from the whole tour but way better than the disappointing Hard Rain from 1976. Both fabulous.

The Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair (October 1973) Only available on download from their website (stonesarchive.com) but you can buy the flac and burn it to a CD. Much of this has been bootlegged in the past but never remotely in this quality - it sounds stunning. From probably their last really great tour, with Mick Taylor on scorching form, this is the first legal Stones live recording I've encountered that rivals the mighty Ya-Ya's - about 2/3 of it is absolutely in the zone, especially Midnight Rambler and All Down The Line. Ignore all the (mostly) crappy latterday albums, live and studio, they were huge because they could do this. Sometimes.

Joy Division - Les Bains Douches 18 December 1979 Sadly only the first 9 tracks are from the Paris venue that provides the album title - the remaining 7 are from 2 gigs in Holland the following month. But they're also rans - it's the Bains Douches tracks that are worth having and reveal JD as one of the most powerful rock bands of all time. The version of Shadowplay in particular is immensely heavy. By all accounts the band hated what Martin Hannett did to these songs in the studio, personally I love the production of Unknown Pleasures but it's great to hear what they really sounded like on a good night, fine recording too. Shame it seems to be out of print now - and that we don't have the entire gig.

ff

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 21:14:04 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Tikka, I am not totally averse to them - merely stating a preference. As it happens, one of my all-time favourites is all that I don't usually like in a live album: single disc, mishmash of different nights and venues (tours even!) - but dammit, it is one fine album!

Live is an awesome album, if only for two tracks: Cortez the Killer, and Broken Chairs - each at around 20 minutes. Freaking brilliant!

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 21:06:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 21:07:39 GMT
Irish Tour '74 is an incredible live album that I only heard for the first time on Monday. Rory is really playing at an incredible level of intensity on this, as are the rest of the band. It is such a good album that I feel the need to open the windows to let the sweat from the crowd out. Amazing. Essential Rory album.

Got this today and reckon it is by far Robert Palmers best live album. At The BBC

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 19:15:51 GMT
Some more for your consideration:

Lotus - Santana: the best live Carlos album by a mile, virtually all instrumentals with some incendiary playing.
Live At The Fillmore - 1968 - the young Santana playing with the passion that only the young possess. (recorded before their studio debut)
Coma Divine: Recorded Live in Rome & Warszawa: 2 great albums by Porcupine Tree from Italy & Poland
Five Live Yardbirds - the album that introduced a 17 year old Clapton to the world when his playing was ferocious.
The Turning Point - John Mayall - the album that showed a drummer was not an essential ingredient to an exciting band. A groundbreaking album and I was fortunate to catch this line-up live.

For the Jazzers:
Miles Davis might not have been the world's best ever horn player but he was one of the most brilliant band leaders the world has seen, and that's where his genius lay (and that is a word I use with real caution):
Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 & The Cellar Door Sessions 1970. The first was (and maybe still) considered one of the "holy grails" of jazz by the Penguin Guide, a view I don't quite hold, but it is an amazing set and five years later the music at the Cellar Door is light years removed from the Nickel. Both magnificent runs in their own way.

I know he has already had a mention, but Keith Jarret is someone very special for me with so many truly amazing live performances. At The Blue Note - The Complete Recordings is a major set by his trio and Sun Bear Concerts covers his solo Japanese tour in 76 which fully illustrates the creative process in action.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 18:23:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 18:24:24 GMT
Tikka says:
NH, I agree that some live elpees of any length can be a mishmash of different nights and venues (tours even!), but I standby (generally) liking shorter, more focussed albums. Having said that, I do enjoy the 5 CDs of The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack and several of the doubles(or longer) on Tommo's lists.

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 02:24:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 02:27:31 GMT
And there's even more...

Live
Live At The N.E.C
Extraterrestrial Live
Tripping The Live Fantastic
Nobody`s Perfect
Real To Reel/Brief Encounter
On Stage
http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Wide-Live-Us-Scorpions/dp/B000001EUT/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1331087156&sr=1-1
Highway Song - Live
Double Trouble Live
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (782 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are you Hearing At The Moment - Part V 2487 1 hour ago
Edinburgh 'Out to Lunch' 1550 1 hour ago
Live Allmans 4 2 hours ago
What artists/bands have you got tickets for and/or who've you seen recently? 2739 3 hours ago
Upcoming releases and other bulletins 621 18 hours ago
The complete bo**ocks, talk tripe, no music allowed thread 5347 19 hours ago
YOU CLEVER B8STARDs:An open letter to people who know erm thingys 1530 4 days ago
Tip Top Telly (Not Necessarily Music-Related) 333 5 days ago
Jimmy Bain dies... 7 14 days ago
What do you have on order? What are you thinking about buying? And what didn't you buy because you just realized that it was a piece of crap? 55 17 days ago
You Tube videos --- and other gems from the www. 66 22 days ago
Dale Griffin RIP 13 22 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  4 Mar 2012
Latest post:  31 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions