Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Do all Women have rubbish record collections?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 624 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2009 21:55:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2009 22:36:29 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
My day job involves me working with men who have committed really nasty offences against women. Some of the theory around my work focuses on an idea that men and women view the world differently. So how does this idea fit with our reasons for liking particular bands/artist? Why do you (women posters) like Fripp, King Crimson, Mogwai, etc etc and are these reasons fundamentally different from why we (male posters ) like the same bands/ artists? Does this theory/idea hold or is it flawed?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2009 22:30:08 GMT
I'd say it's both yes and no having briefly covered stuff like that at uni. The level of hormones you are exposed to whilst in the womb apparently has an effect on whether the brain developes with a 'male' or 'female' bias, hence the men are supposed to be better at reading maps, and women better at languages thing. But of course this is all a gross simplification / generalization. Is it worth bearing in mind? Depends upon how deep you want the discussion to get...

^_^

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 00:10:01 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I suppose those who contribute determine the depth of discussion. I just wondered for example, as a male Pearl Jam fan, whether or not female Pearl Jam fans like them for the same reasons as me and if they don't like them for the same reasons is it anything to do with gender?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 01:26:58 GMT
N. Waters says:
That's a really difficult question D.M. I like Pearl Jam too, but would find it hard to describe why, without telling you more about Pearl Jam than about the way in which women respond to their music. I mean, people say, 'I like them because they.....', not, 'I like them because I.....'

And if we did find a way of analysing and comparing reactions, we still would not know if differences were connected to gender or not.

It is a fascinating subject!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 09:43:29 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
For me, what's so fascinating about this thread is the fact that, with woman contributing the regular posters have been more open about themselves revealing facts about their personal lives, gender, spouses, appearances, vocations etc. We have touched on these subjects before but does seem more spontaneous here. Does interacting with woman/men bring out different sides of our characters, do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 10:44:18 GMT
Krytical says:
I find music enhances my attention rather than diminishing it. I find it easier to focus with music in the background. I think I have so much going through my mind day to day that the music quietens it. Is that just me?
I suppose I found the gig strange because I am more into rock and metal and therefore am used to a band being on stage and performing and interacting. It's as much music as a stage show in some respects. Mogwai was too relaxed for that and more electronics involved. They were more like people making music for you to hear but not draw any attention to themselves in doing so. It was strange in a sense that everyone there was in their own world and it was a distinctly solitary experience but odd in that it was a tent full of people having a solitary experience. Some were staring, some were crying. I found it perplexing in that it's not my kind of music so I didn't know what to expect or feel. I found myself torn between wanting to sleep/cry/jump off a cliff so all in all (and the distinct lack of cliffs in Reading!!) I ended up sat on the floor leaning against a tent pole. I have no idea how long I was in there as time seemed to stand still and I was just fascinated with watching the other people. As I said, strange evening.
I'll try and answer why I like live music. It's not the collective experience. As a general rule I'm not keen on people as a whole. I'm not thrilled by crowds but they are an unfortunate by-product of a gig. I get lost in the music and the performance. I guess I just love to see it and hear it. When I was talking about music that I can feel. I meant that there is some music that strikes a chord in my body that I can almost feel. I don't think this is a gender thing, I honestly think that if a piece of music really means something to you, if the lyrics or the melody give you something to relate to etc then it does this. It's music that matters. I'm not saying all the music I like does this - there are lots of bands that I just like what they come out with, maybe it makes me smile. I went to see the Blood Hound Gang, they make me smile and I enjoyed the show they put on - I'm definitely not saying I relate immensely to The Ballad Of Chasey Lane!!
The bass vibration can be a good thing too sometimes though for me. I like it when it can be loud enough to where it's like the music is dictating when I can breath because it's literally pulling my chest in and out. Don't think that bit would sell it to you though! To be fair though that only tends to happen at metal gigs. There is a line of conversation involving sitting on bass amps but we won't go down that road!
I'm not sure I've done a very good job in explaining why I like live music here! The other point I will add is the spontaneity of it. On an album you know how the song goes and every time you play it that is how it will always sound. Live things change, the artists have a chance to play around. Admittedly this can be disastrous but can also be enjoyable or amusing. I remember a foo Fighters gig when half way though a song they turned it into that scary pop song by Las Ketchup. Very funny. Or other times when other singers have been there and ended up dueting etc. Very much good fun.
I think someone mentioned Seether earlier, have to say, sorry I missed Seether and Staind, THAT sounded like it would've been a good one. I saw Staind about 8 years ago and really enjoyed it.
Anyway, think I've rambled for MORE than enough for one post!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 13:06:14 GMT
Bluto says:
Interesting what we expect of a live event - I couldn't handle the idea of someone crying at a gig - I don't think I'm emotionally repressed, it's just that I need the solace of listening to music to trigger that kind of emotion e.g. certain tracks on the Reed/Cale album - Songs For Drella , never fail to make me blub, but I don't think this would happen live. Also, do you think the crowd was feeding off their own collective emotion, rather than the music ?

What I do want to see at a gig, is the performer(s) enjoying themselves - I just get a real buzz from seeing a band simply relaxing, and enjoying playing. And putting on a show if possible - I want to be `entertained' - some good old-fashioned showmanship. I've no time for prima-donnas, those with contempt for their audience, or those who ignore the fact there is an audience in the first place.

Getting on as I am, the internet influence has pretty much passed me by, but I was fascinated by some of the `at home' stuff the Libertines did. Screening what were effectively band rehearsals was a great way to show another facet of the band.

NAA

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 13:15:43 GMT
I went out with a woman who had an AWESOME record collection. It was eclectic, iinteresting and downright fab! There are women out there who care about music and they're more prevalent than you think, you just have to look around a bit harder.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 13:17:20 GMT
I hope you married her Mr O'Doherty! I have found more women with great musical taste..on this thread!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 15:49:59 GMT
I'm still thinking about this topic and using my own family & friends as an example, yes it appears music means more to the males. My son suffers from depression and he says music saved his life and although all my family listen to music, it's the boys who have a huge breadth of musical knowledge.
It's been mentioned before but most men I know have a slightly anal, alphabetical display of their CD's, however I have my films in alphabetical order and listed in a spreadsheet by director and that's totally anal, I know! I don't really know enough about music to carry on discussing this, but if anyone knows of a similar topic for movies I'd be really interested. It was good "talking" to you, all the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 17:02:29 GMT
Thanks Krytical, that was a very good explanation.

I think the 'not drawing attention to themselves' part of the act is part of what appeals about those sort of laser / electronica gigs. I've been to 3 gigs in 20 years, and every time I realise I don't know where to look. I can't get lost in the experience because it was the wrong type of music. I like the idea of the combined solitary / collective experience all at once. Your gig sounded more fun than the ones I've been to, for all I enjoyed them at the time. As for it sounding fresh and the chance for different interpretation I'm afraid the autistic side of my nature means that I take more comfort in the familiarity of knowing where a conventional song will take me. But that's why I love Psychedelic and Soundscapes, because they take me out of myself. Psych to a strange trippy Dali / Boosh / Douglas Adams type place without the need for drugs. And Soundscapes even more so. They are a way to describe the landscape musically. Some let me fly, others sink beneath the ice etc and really just be still and lost in beauty. It's a very individual and humbling experience. I think that's why I don't want to see a guitar based band again, unless it's a psych / prog band where doing 20 minute improv is a possibility. Wow, but I have changed a lot since I was first becoming musically aware... It takes me a long time to change my mind, but when I do it happens quickly. More set in my ways then ever, yet more open musically. One day it would be nice to do things the easy way...

Oh I play the guitar (well I did when I listened to music I could actually play - can't take a soundscape to my teacher and say write that out for me...) I had a bass lesson once and took a step down 'that' road... I couldn't concentrate, I was laughing too much. I understand the breath thing, although it makes me feel quite queasy.

Mr NAA I can't say whether the bands were enjoying themselves. The front man of The Wonderstuff was so foul mouthed, the memory is much better than being there. The frontman of James was slightly out of key a lot of the time, which put me right off. Although I enjoyed it, it took me a good few years to get back into them after that. The Doves were so slick I have no idea what they were thinking, although one of them forgot he was meant to be singing... The comics seem to enjoy themselves more. The Mighty Boosh were loving it.

Paranoid Hippy, I can only speak for myself but music means everything to me. Yes I love reading just as much, but if it came down to it, and it's very close but I'd choose hearing over sight. I'd have to make do with audio books, but to never be able to hear my most favourite music again... I'd rather die.

^_^

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 17:10:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2009 23:44:43 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Paranoid (if your still around) and if she has gone off to look for a 'film forum' could somebody else tell me about the joys of collecting dvd's, I don't get it.

Over the years I have returned to the cinema to watch certain films again, this usually happens because the film has been re-released in a new format: Apocalypse Now re-dux edition comes to mind, which I saw on the massive screen at an imax cinema. So, same film different experience. I don't feel that once I've watched most films, got the story/twist, appreciated the scenery and eye-candy that I would gain much from repeated viewing, I will concede that occasionally a film comes along that I feel is complex enough to warrant a second viewing to see if I get more (clues) out of it, Memento comes to mind, or the filming is so lush that I want to wallow in the scenery but generally once the drama has played out I see no reason to return knowing who's going to do what and to whom. Maybe i'm missing out. What do you film buffs/dvd collectors get out of watching the same film over and over again or is it the collecting of them that's important.

On the matter of putting cd's in alphabetical order or at least some system, if you don't surely there's gaps in the music when friends come round and you have to drunkenly go looking through tons of cd's just to find the tune that needs playing next. Putting a system in place that allows you to quickly find something no matter how mashed/sober you are has got to be a good thing, no ?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 17:31:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2009 17:33:20 GMT
Krytical says:
A system of order for music is a good plan. I have mine in alphabetical order of band name. You're right, when you are absolutely hammered you don't want to spend an hour looking for one CD!
As for films, I'm not too bothered about format as long as I have it. It's not "I must have" it's more a case of owning things I like to see. I gave up on normal TV 2 years ago. I don't have an arial or a licence anymore. I just have the TV with a DVD player and VCR hooked up to it. I watch what I have. I suppose it depends what kind of person you are but I like movies. It doesn't matter to me if I know exactly what's going to happen because I've seen it 7 times. If it's something that makes me laugh or gives that "warm and fuzzy" feeling when you need it then it's all good. I adore horror movies, that's the exception but as a general rule I like to watch happy and funny films. I find life can get depressing enough at times without having to watch miserable films too!
^ ^
v

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 17:48:42 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Krytical, fair point. I wonder what others have to say on those two subjects.
I agree life can be depressing at times but I find these threads can sometimes be a good antidote, don't you?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 17:59:48 GMT
Krytical says:
Absolutely! Lucky I get to use Amazon as part of my work!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 18:04:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2009 18:04:32 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Blimey Krytical that is lucky, or a bit of a touch as they say round here !!
I'm off now, nice chatting, bye.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 18:26:01 GMT
Not sure if I can explain very well to M.C. Williams, but surely you could say the same about music, unless it's a complex piece, why listen to it again when there are so many new pieces to listen to? I too have watched Memento twice, but have seen other films in my collection 6/7 times. The pleasure in watching a good film doesn't diminish with repeated watching, for me anyway. I can watch a film again with different friends, I love discussing them afterwards and finding out different points of view. I also see little things I may have missed on the first showing and like listening to music, sometimes nothing else will work to lift my mood or distract me from the trials of life unless I watch a favourite film. I live 100 miles away from the nearest cinema, we have long dark winters here in the north of Scotland and I can only think of one thing better than watching a movie and it's not listening to music!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 22:50:48 GMT
Bit of an impossible question this one. It could just be me leading an extremely sheltered life, but I don't actually know all women much less spent time with their record collections.
As for admiring women for their music, well they don't come much better than Janis Joplin and that's just for starters. There are hundreds of great women artistes out there

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 06:32:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jan 2009 06:41:37 GMT
spiderboris says:
Coming back to Pearl Jam again, they're the absolute favourite band of all time of a female friend of mine. Although she did I believe only become interested in them because she thought Eddie Vedder was 'a total hottie.'

Which he still is, apparently... I didn't even have the foggiest idea what he looked like until much later on - mind you, I virtually never used to see any music videos, back in ye olde days when all you had was TOTP and The Chart Show on a Saturday morning...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 08:34:12 GMT
Bluto says:
Hi MC

As I've got older I've found the accessibility of listening to music has reduced - I've really eclectic interests in music, so if I want to listen to something, it's got to be from my own cd's/MP3's (not from the radio etc.), which, other than the car, doesn't leave a lot of time/opportunity to just sit, listen, and reflect.

I can't say whether my large film collection is a replacement for the music, or whether over time I've just become more interested in the visual rather than the aural. But what I do do, is treat my film collection in exactly the same way i.e. some films, I'll watch fully thru - others I'll just 'sample' - picking out particular scenes. But the pleasure is still the same - just taken in by a different sense.

I think those of us who `file' DVD's/CD's are too defensive about - it's always seen as classically anal, but I do it for a simple reason: I want to be able to find stuff asap - I've near enough 200 CD's, and double that for DVD's (after all, you wouldn't go into HMV and root around in a huge pile on the floor !), & I think everyone would agree that when you `miss the moment', especially with music, because you can't find it, it's a real (disproportionate !) downer.

Also, intrigued by Psych. Goth's comment re sound over sight - which of the 5 senses would we give up if we had to ? For me, to lose my sight would be the worst - I suffer from glaucoma, so this is a real possibility - I remember when I was diagnosed, there were a few of us in the same room with different consultants, and the woman behind me was told she would lose her sight - her voice just trailed off as she said `but I'm an artist'. I felt so sad for her (& the way she was told) & scared sh*tless for myself.

Anyway, on a less grim note, I do also file the kitchen cupboard & bathroom cabinet, so perhaps it is all anal.

Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 08:50:43 GMT
BOF says:
Neil
No contest if I had to lose a sense it would have to be touch or speech need my eyes, need my ears, couldn't lose my taste (how else could I be a beer taster), don't want to lose any, but touch or speech it would have to be.
I'm diabetic so my eyesight could be a problem like you say dreading that and I'm already losing some sensitivity in my feet.
Best bones
B.O.F.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 09:09:08 GMT
Bluto says:
BOF
Speech - I think I could hopefully articulate in another way, but 'touch' was my close second. I too am diabetic - we're told choice is a good thing these days, but diabetese offers a lovely range of effects I could well do without ! Stil,l I have been told that I'll likely become 'important' as well (at least that's what I think the GP said)
No, not to be able to see beauty, or to hold someone. Gotta be the 2 worst for me.

Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 09:42:45 GMT
BOF says:
Yeh I've heard about the 'important' bit, I'm not yet, but what will be will be, luckily the old libido slows down the older you get anyway. As they say once a King always a King once a Knight enough.
Best bones
B.O.F.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 10:34:04 GMT
spiderboris says:
Going by the amount of rubbish horror movies I've watched recently, I honestly wouldn't be all that bothered if I lost my eyesight, which has already been damaged by too much time spent staring at computer screens... Although word has that as of this very minute everyone who is alive today will live forever and probably transcend all ailments and illnesses. So that at least is a heartening thought.

Mind you women live longer. Which gives them more time to criticize the men for dying in the first place.

Hang on... is that the topic I see, drifting off into distant space?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2009 10:44:30 GMT
Krytical says:
Yes Spiderboris, wave the topic goodbye and HELLO controversy of labelling women as a race that have nothing better to do than criticize men.............. Hang on, stereo types come from a presented trend. Oh well, if the shoe fits?!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (739 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  173
Total posts:  624
Initial post:  24 Jan 2009
Latest post:  27 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions