Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

YOU CLEVER B8STARDs:An open letter to people who know erm thingys

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1076-1100 of 1481 posts in this discussion
Posted on 8 Jul 2012 00:55:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2012 00:56:37 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
Little Big Man or Charging Bear was an Oglala Lakota, a fearless and respected warrior who fought under, and was rivals with, Crazy Horse ("His-Horse-Is-Spirited"). He opposed the treaty and the commission that wanted to take the Black Hills from the Sioux. He fought at the Battle of Little Big Horn. He is suspected of involvement in Crazy Horse's murder at Fort Robinson in Nebraska. Later he cooperated with the white man.

Meh, don't they all...

Nature Boy - Bobby Darin

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2012 17:19:07 BDT
Sabretooth Tigers were very goofy - and because braces hadnt been invented they used to get teased mercilessly and died of shame. True story,

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 01:01:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2012 01:02:20 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
I like your post Mr.GJA, but you appear to have mistaken this thread for the Complete Bollocks one, where I'm sure others as well as myself will enjoy your whimsical delusions.

This thread follows a set of rules whereby, inspired by the music track concluding the previous post, one can witter on knowledgeably about something to do with its subject prior to posting a toon of one's own.

Having said that, many of the followers of this and the Bollocks thread often confuse the two, particularly as we are all members of the ex-Zon AA Group and I have to pour another now...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 07:20:58 BDT
nocheese says:
The nation's favourite Nature Boy makes mincemeat of Creationism:

'When Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of the Loa Loa parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, a worm that's going to make him blind. And I ask them, 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy'.

God's Love - Bad Religion

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2012 00:20:10 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
I started to write something from a "Clever Bastards" perspective but just wiped it as I find religion absolutely abhorrent, and it would be false to try to acknowledge it with even a basic witticism of any kind. Life is life - get on with it.

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 10:59:59 BDT
easytiger says:
Agreed Mondo but for continuation's sake I'll just say 'didn't know there were any good ones'. There! done!

Quark, strangeness and charm-Hawkwind

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 16:35:45 BDT
Gordon Dent says:
Murray Gell-Mann, who postulated the existence of quarks in 1964, took the name from James Joyce's "Finnegan's Wake":

"Three quarks for Muster Mark!
Sure he has not got much of a bark
And sure any he has it's all beside the mark."

In his 1995 book, "The Quark & The Jaguar", Gell-Mann recounted this origin of the term to make clear that the correct pronunciation is "quark" (to rhyme with Mark), rather than "quork".

Jaguar And Thunderbird - Chuck Berry

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 17:04:57 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
The Thunderbird's name comes from the common belief that the beating of its enormous wings causes thunder and stirs the wind. The Lakota name for the Thunderbird is Wakį́yą, from wakhą, meaning "sacred", and kįyą, meaning "winged". The Kwakwaka'wakw have many names for the Thunderbird and the Nuu-chah-nulth (Nootka) called him Kw-Uhnx-Wa. The Ojibwa word for a thunderbird that is closely associated with thunder is animikii, while large thunderous birds are known as binesi.

Boomshakalaka - Mujrim - http://youtu.be/TKRnHGvDnNA

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 22:50:55 BDT
Greysuit says:
Ruby Romaine is a fictional character portrayed by actress, comedienne Tracey Ullman on her show Tracey Takes On.... The character became so infamous, that HBO commissioned a pilot for the character which resulted in the one-off Tracey Ullman in the Trailer Tales. Ruby is a self-professed "star maker".

Ruby resides in East Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. Her address is, 264 1/2 Fernando Venezuela Boulevard, (formally Appleby), Hollywood, California, 90036. She dubs her neighborhood, Boomshakalaka Town. The majority of Ruby's neighbors are Hispanic. "It used to be a real elegant neighborhood, but now all the children have earrings and you can smell the rice and beans in the air."

"Ghosts of Princes in Towers" by The Rich Kids.

☺ ♫ ☺ ♫ ☺

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 14:59:53 BDT
easytiger says:
According to wackopedia the princes in the tower, who until recently were thought of as the first recorded victims of hate crime as they were the gay offspring of an arab concubine that Richard The Lionheart brought back from the crusades, are now known to be the forerunners of today's royal lifestyle. Their 'imprisonment' in the tower was in fact a smokescreen for the structural steel penthouse designed by Lakshmi de Mittal, a Norman steel magnate, where the 'boys' got up to their mischief and debauchery away from the public eye and the Neeoows of le Worlde. Then they disappeared. Evidence of this preraphaelite bordel has been proven by the recent discovery of rusty steel rivets buried underneath the stairs down that lead to Madame Tussards and Mark Toney's.

We are family-Sister Sledge

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 21:55:24 BDT
Greysuit says:
Nice follow on easytiger. I'll give it some thought and come back soon (unless I'm beaten to it etc.)

☺ ☺ ☺

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 01:02:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jul 2012 01:03:42 BDT
nocheese says:
Well, Grey, it's been a week , so:

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen 'Citizen Kane' - 'Rosebud' was his sledge.

Rosebud - The Jezabels

Posted on 24 Jul 2012 01:32:50 BDT
Lez Lee says:
The Common Jezebel is a butterfly found mainly in India. It's highly toxic to birds and other creatures and so can afford to be highly coloured. They look very like a Tiffany lamp.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 01:45:12 BDT
nocheese says:
'Breakfast at Tiffany's ', with it's enchanting /annoying heroine Holly Golightly, was a story by Truman Capote, who also wrote the (not remotely similar) book 'In Cold Blood'.

In Cold Blood - Johnny Thunders

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 15:03:10 BDT
easytiger says:
To quash the current conspiracy theory, Johnny Thunders is not the father of Viz hero Johnny Fartpants. Roger Mellie told me that the other night. His real father, from whom he gained his famous mutant skills, flew away one morning after a night on Guinness and a phal take-away.

Hole in the sky-Black Sabbath

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 15:11:43 BDT
Gordon Dent says:
ET - You wouldn't be related to Aldridge Prior, would you?

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 15:16:37 BDT
easytiger says:
Si.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 09:15:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Aug 2012 09:16:39 BDT
nocheese says:
Rather than banging on about the ozone layer, let's just go with Spike Milligan:

There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in
But there ever so small
That's why the rain is thin.

I Can't Stand the Rain - Ann Peebles

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 15:18:02 BDT
easytiger says:
The first time I went on holiday with a girl it started off the way I kind of suspected it would. We made our way in the pissing rain to Newcastle airport where the flight was delayed due to low cloud cover. Eventually we took off and after breaking through the cloud cover my CB turned to me and said,"just our luck-as soon as we leave the toon the sun starts shining!"

Take the weather with you-Crowded House

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2012 01:32:18 BDT
nocheese says:
My grateful thanks, et; I've just discovered that Jimmy Buffett has done an album of the same name, which as well as the title song , includes covers of some of my favourite songs, including 'Cinco de Mayo in Memphis'by Guy Clark and Chuck Mead (of BR549 who have never recovered from losing Donnie Heron to Bob Dylan's band, but that's another story), 'Elvis Presley Blues' by Gillian Welsh and Dave Rawlings, and 'The Wheel Inside the Wheel' by Mary Gauthier. I realise that this is probably a big yawn to those of you who are not Americana buffs, but I'm off to order my copy.

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 23:58:41 BDT
Greysuit says:
TMA ("tristeza y muerte de agave") is a blight that has reduced the production of the agave grown to produce tequila (as used in Margaritas). This has resulted in lower production and higher prices throughout the early 21st century, and due to the long maturation of the plant, will likely continue to affect prices for years to come.

DvoŠk - String Quartet No 12; Bagatelles; Terzetto by PraŠk Qt, Jaroslav Tma and AntonŪn DvorŠk.

☺ ☺ ☺

Posted on 12 Aug 2012 00:31:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Aug 2012 00:31:34 BDT
Lez Lee says:
String quartets came into being pretty much by accident. Haydn (aged only 18) was working for Baron von FŁrnberg who asked him to compose something for 4 young musicians - 2 violinists, a violist and a cellist. The resulting piece was so well-received he realised he was on to a good thing and ended up writing 68. Morton Feldman wrote a string quartet which lasts 6 hours though the audience (and presumably the musicians) are allowed a break.

Paul Kantner et al - Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun

Posted on 12 Aug 2012 02:08:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Aug 2012 02:08:44 BDT
Val H. says:
The American children's book "The Phantom Tolbooth" celebrated its 50th anniversary last year. Norton Juster was an architect who wrote for relaxation from arduous planning projects. The Ford Foundation gave him a grant to create a book for children about how people experience cities. In 1959, to avoid writing this book, he began working on a short story - one that took on a life of its own. So there he was, pacing his second-floor apartment in Brooklyn Heights, unsure that the manuscript he was working on - his first - would ever be published, much less become a classic of children's literature. His roommate was his first reader, who also voluntarily sketched some pictures to go with Juster's story. The roommate was Jules Feiffer. The manuscript was The Phantom Tollbooth. Today there are nearly 4 million copies of The Phantom Tollbooth in print, and the book has been translated into twenty languages.

Classic - Adrian Gurvitz

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2012 14:57:43 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
During the station's test transmissions between July and September 1992, Classic FM broadcast a continuous soundtrack of birds singing and other countryside sounds. The "birdsong" test transmissions became a famous landmark of British radio and attracted many newspaper articles and comment prior to the station's launch, including one live comment during BBC Radio 4's Test Match Special when commentator Brian Johnston referred to listening to the birdsong, much to the fury of BBC management who were fearful of Classic FM's impending launch. Me, I don't like cricket...

Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc

Posted on 13 Aug 2012 17:06:47 BDT
easytiger says:
In 1950 Edgar T Westbury designed a 10cc twin cylinder 4-stroke engine which he called Seagull. Apparently engines of this size are popular with the model boat and aircraft fraternity. Would imagine the boats or planes they power would be a bit small for a round trip to Jamaica.

I'm going to Barbados-Typically Tropical
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa9df5378)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  1481
Initial post:  1 Aug 2011
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions