Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

YOU CLEVER B8STARDs:An open letter to people who know erm thingys

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1051-1075 of 1481 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 Jun 2012 00:33:08 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
Yes, it's that time of the century again. British astronomers have revelled in the sight of a rare celestial event.

"This only happens once every 105 years," said Brian Sheen from the Roseland Observatory in Cornwall. "If you look hard at the sky, you may have seen a golden disc travelling through a clear blue background; it really was quite breathtaking. It is quite astonishing to see this phenomenon in our skies so soon after a bank holiday weekend."

A few surfers on the Trepasty Beach claimed to have seen it for literally several seconds before heavy clouds moved in and everything went dark again. However, local tin miner Kenny Kernow shrugged off their claims, saying, "Whaddo ay know? Em be emmit druggies em bee. No zun zeen bout ere fer undrid n five yerrrs."

Rumours - Damage

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 17:33:47 BDT
easytiger says:
In 1977 when the world was going punk mad, a band named after a small Lancastrian fishing port and whisky mixed with ginger (the Peter Green link) re-emerged with an album called 'Rumours'. This was a totally different sound to their previous no1 hit with its obvious fishing connections. The album sold millions, probably bought by many who hoped the yum-yum diminutive singer would be hiding in the record sleeve. The single 'dreams' was very apt.

Butterfly of love-Val Doonican

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 23:45:07 BDT
Greysuit says:
I suspect that Val Doonican's 'Butterfly of love' is actually "VAL DOONICAN Elusive Butterfly" so - I'll move forwrd on that assumption.

"Elusive Butterfly" is a popular song by Bob Lind released in 1966 which reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was also recorded and released in 1966 in the UK by the Irish singer Val Doonican. The Doonican and Lind versions both charted in the UK and both (first Doonican's version, then Lind's) peaked at #5 in the UK charts in March/April 1966; it is possible the Lind version might have proved a bigger UK hit, had the rival Doonican version not been recorded and released. In Australia Lind's "Elusive Butterfly" spent three weeks at #2.

So - from Bob Lind - it's fairly easy to move forwards - via Elusive Butterfly: the Complete 1966 Jack Nitzsche Sessions to:

Buffalo Springfield's "Expecting To Fly".

☺ ♫ ☺ ♫ ☺

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 23:58:52 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Buffalo is a ghost town in Alberta, Canada. It is located on Highway 555, between Empress and Duchess, south of the Red Deer River, at an elevation of 720 metres (2,360 ft).
Unsurprisingly, Statistics Canada has not recently published a population for Buffalo.

Ghost Town - The Specials

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 11:17:28 BDT
There is a Ghost Town in Alberta, Canada called Buffalo. It is located on Highway 555, between Empress and Duchess, south of the Red Deer River, at an elevation of 720 metres (2,360 ft).
Unsurprisingly, Statistics Canada has not recently published a population for Buffalo.

But every Sat night there is a show in the town Hall.

Spirit Dance - Clarence Clemons

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2012 12:33:51 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Jun 2012 13:04:47 BDT]

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 08:39:47 BDT
easytiger says:
Voodoo Music
Slaves had sundays off in old New Orleans and spent them messing about with traditions transported across the sea from Congo. It involved calling up the spirits in turn etc.
For each spirit that appears, or is called, a new rhythm is mixed into the experience. The people form circles with leaders who call out chants, then the chorus responds. The ceremony is improvised with no particular order or conclusion. The event also serves as a political forum in which the participants can vent their grievances and criticisms of anyone and everyone; so long it as it is done with satire. These four characteristics, jazz historians have pointed out are the four original bases of jazz; polyrhythmic sounds, lead and response dialogs, improvisation and humor.

The most famous, and perhaps most popular, of the dances was the sexually implicit Calinda dance. Known for its sexual gestures, men and women patting and striking their thighs together to the rhythms of the music, hip gyrations, pelvic thrust and pirouettes done only to separate and come back together, it typically received both public censure and private infatuation. The dances would lock arms and spin around and then with the same lasciviousness they slapped each other's thighs and kissed. In some instances a man and a woman would stand in the center of a circle of dancers, bucking, jumping and pantomiming intercourse. And what is an African for sex? Jazz
Roger Mila-Pepe Kalle

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 08:48:40 BDT
nocheese says:
(If anyone is wondering what dreadful filth has been deleted by Amazon, it was my response to 'Spirit Dance' - a direct quote from 'Tam O' Shanter' by Robert Burns, describing the witches dancing in the kirk. I despair.)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 12:59:01 BDT
But that is filth, nc.

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 13:31:40 BDT
nocheese says:
:)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 13:37:18 BDT
See, you are smirking. I knew it, that stuff is filth.

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 13:47:22 BDT
nocheese says:
I was really puzzled, so I've just read the poem again (not a hardship), and think I've found the offending word - I've anglicised it here, although unfortunately it means that the couplet no longer rhymes.

"A thief, new-cutted frae a rope,
Wi' his last gasp his gab did gape; "

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 14:04:55 BDT
RedAlFire says:
Och that Burns......disgusting!!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 14:47:39 BDT
Gope is an offensive term to many over here, nc. Did you not know that?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 16:09:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2012 16:11:23 BDT
nocheese says:
What do you take me for, a clever b8stard or something?

According to the Urban Dictionary

1. A slang word for turnip in south-west England. ( "Stick those gopes in the stew")

2. An item of clothing worn about the wrist. ("I'll just loosen my gope a little.")

Also apparently: "The act of trying to "Get Some" in a desperate fashion."

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 17:03:09 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Like on - Hard?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 18:11:39 BDT
We will have less of the description for objects lacking in flexibility, or indeed possessing a scratch resistant outer coating, please, Cheeze.

Posted on 30 Jun 2012 15:27:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 00:27:34 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Hmmmmmmmm........

PTFE is a fluorocarbon solid, as it is a high-molecular-weight compound consisting wholly of carbon and fluorine. PTFE is hydrophobic: neither water nor water-containing substances wet PTFE, as fluorocarbons demonstrate mitigated London dispersion forces due to the high electronegativity of fluorine. PTFE has one of the lowest coefficients of friction against any solid.

PTFE is used as a non-stick coating for pans and other cookware. It is very non-reactive, partly because of the strength of carbon-fluorine bonds, and so it is often used in containers and pipework for reactive and corrosive chemicals. Where used as a lubricant, PTFE reduces friction, wear, and energy consumption of machinery.

Edit: Slip Slidin' Away - Paul Simon

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2012 15:33:33 BDT
RedAlFire says:
Aka polytetrafluoroethylene, but known the world round as 'Plastic Tape For Everything'!!

Posted on 1 Jul 2012 10:31:26 BDT
easytiger says:
Yeh but it ain't sticky is it? Not much cop for sticking yer pinky and Perky posters up is it?

Roger Mila-Pepe Kalle.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2012 21:20:52 BDT
nocheese says:
I'm so ignorant, I had no idea which was the singer, and which the song, so I confess I resorted to Wiki, and I'm so glad I did. This guy's band had a dancing dwarf! (BTW, et, you seem to have misspelt Milla)

"In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Kalle fused elements of the fast paced version of soukous produced in Paris studios. His 1990 album, Roger Milla, a tribute to the exploits of the great Camerounian footballer, is a classic example of this arrangement.

In 1992 the band faced its first major calamity when Emoro, the band's dancing dwarf, died while on tour in Botswana. Despite this setback, Pepe Kalle's popularity continued to soar in the nineties as he released albums like Gigantafrique, Larger than life and Cocktail. He also collaborated with other legends like Lutumba Simaro and Nyoka Longo."

Short People - Randy Newman.

Posted on 1 Jul 2012 21:28:57 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Jul 2012 21:29:08 BDT]

Posted on 1 Jul 2012 22:45:06 BDT
RedAlFire says:
Ahh Roger Milla - the footballing sensation from Cameroon who was aged anywhere between 32 and 50!! Seemingly his passport did not have such information on it and the subject was a matter for conjecture throughout the World Cup tournament.

Still nc's Short People - Randy Newman

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 19:19:13 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
The following is a list of names of the Seven Dwarfs from multiple versions of the Snow White story. There are many adaptations to the story of Snow White; including animation, film, books, plays, etc. This is a listing of the Seven Dwarfs names. The original Snow White story, written by the Brothers Grimm, did not feature names to any of the dwarfs. Snow White from 1991 features only 6 dwarfs and Snow White & the Huntsman 8 dwarfs.

Out of a strong and powerful need to break away from my OCD, they are in no order whatsoever...

Blick, Whichtel, Bashful, Huckepack, Biddy, Grouchy, Blossom, Friday, Gorm, Butcher, Beith, Flick, Doc, Naseweis, Diddy, Klutzy, Critterina, Monday, Knirps, Chuckles, Coll, Glick, Dopey, Packe, Fiddy, Lazy, Marina, Saturday, Niffel, Grimm, Duir, Plick, Grumpy, Pick, Giddy, Sloopy, Moonbeam, Sunday, Quarx, Grub, Gort, Quee, Happy, Puck, Iddy, Smiley, Muddy, Thursday, Querx, Half Pint, Muir, Snick, Sleepy, Purzelbaum, Kiddy, Tubby, Sunburn, Tuesday, Schrat, Napoleon, Nion, Whick, Sneezy, Rumpelbold, Liddy, Thunderella, Wednesday, Wolf, Quert & Gus

The Laughing Gnome - David Bowie

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 12:46:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jul 2012 12:49:31 BDT
easytiger says:
PC hits africa!Talking of gnomes and little people, I work in a pygmy area except you aren't allowed to call them that anymore, or 'Babonga' as the Bantus call them for that matter. They are the original indigenous people of the Congo area before the Bantu migrations of 500 years ago and are now known as 'Autochtone' which is french for 'native', which probably what the english will be known as in 50 years time the way things are going.
However the peculiar thing is they are the same height as the Bantu;nothing petite about them at all. Interbreeding is illegal and as the Bantu detest them and treat them like dirt, illicit affairs are unlikely so the pygmy hasn't been bred out of them. They have slightly different complexions and features but that is all. A geneticist has come up with the fact that they closely related to the proper little people in nearby Cameroun and should be classified not as 'Pygmy' but as 'Pygmoid' cos they're tall pygmies. Now that's an oxymoron for you.
Giants-Quintessence
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  1481
Initial post:  1 Aug 2011
Latest post:  19 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions