Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Who's the hardest in music?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 140 posts in this discussion
Posted on 21 Sep 2012 08:14:50 BDT
easytiger says:
Hank Marvin. Despite his looks he was the hardest kid on Stanhope St.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 08:43:43 BDT
Post Soviet says:
I wouldn't mess with anyone so far mentioned on this thread.
I could only mess with Beyonce and Cheryl Cole.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 08:54:28 BDT
together?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 10:19:27 BDT
Post Soviet says:
I wish...

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 12:19:20 BDT
Lead Belly was a classic old-timey hard case. From his wikipedia article, you get the impression that everyone who so much as looked at him funny ended up dead, seriously injured, or in prison

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 13:24:09 BDT
Varg Vikernes once guitarist with black metal group Mayhem has got to top the "hard" man list by some way having murdered his bandmate and burned down 4 churches in Norway. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison but was released on parole in 2009 having served 16.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 13:35:21 BDT
as a big black metal fan in the late 80s and early 90s i followed the norwegian black metal scene avidly - including vargs and ihsahns antics. varg stabbed euronymous in the back as the latter tried to run down some stairs. not sure that that qualifies as "hard" as stabbing is really a very cowardly way to despatch of someone.
i haven't looked through the whole of this list but have fifty cent or ice t etc been mentioned? some of those guys are/were pretty reknowned for their fighting abilities. i'd rather fight varg hand to hand than fifty cent - from whom i would run as fast as i could...

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 15:46:28 BDT
Leftin says:
The late Cozy Powell was pretty tough. He was the only member of Rainbow whom Blackmore wouldn't mess around, although Dio's talent was large enough to get some respect.

Phil Mogg is surprisingly hard, despite the pretty boy image of earlier years. He was a semi-pro boxer, so that gave him an advantage.

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 16:49:21 BDT
easytiger says:
That lieutenant Pigeon feller thought he was hard and was always kicking off. Thats why he had to wear a big hat and a long plastic nose on TOTP-to hide the mess he was in after a scrap in the dressing room with Pickettywitch. Apparently that bloke out of Smokie sorted them both out.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 17:07:26 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Iggy Pop's early days self-flaggellation tendencies with peanut butter and broken glass must qualify him. Still looks a tough nut (or one of Gunther von Hagens plastination subjects) in those insurance ads.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 17:31:20 BDT
Gordon Dent says:
ET - I think the Bilbo Baggins lads (http://www.spencemusic.co.uk/bilbomusic/index.html) got involved in that scrap, too. Legend says it was the bloodiest scene since Badfinger took on Christie.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 17:36:54 BDT
easytiger says:
Aye, good job they got the wrong Christie- Big Tone would've booted them all the way to Amarillo on his todd.

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 17:52:01 BDT
Leftin says:
I never, ever, at all, one bit, for a nanosecond, etc., thought I'd see Christie mentioned on these boards. Iron Horse is a great song!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 18:02:57 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Sep 2012 18:09:47 BDT]

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 19:35:10 BDT
The late, great Ronnie Van Zant wasn't a man to be messed with....

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 20:26:29 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Indeed RVZ was a fierce disciplinarian and would speak with his fists if members of the band stepped out of line or phoned in a performance. That said he couldn't be with them 24/7 hence That Smell.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 20:51:51 BDT
Leftin says:
And I always thought That Smell was a marijuana song!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 20:54:42 BDT
Brass Neck says:
'.... the smell of death around you'

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 04:24:18 BDT
Almost none of the original Lynyrds were to be messed with! They were good old southern Boys and most of them came from pretty poor backgrounds, they were brought up as fighting boys, broken families, abuse and violence in the home etc. I guess that's where their down to earth no nonsence music comes from.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 04:37:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2012 04:43:26 BDT
Brass, I think I mentioned the Stooges earlier in this thread when it started a couple of years ago..Iggy was certainly a f up! BUT in the early days the Asheton brothers were basically the hardest guys from Ann Arbour Michigan (and possibly the whole State!) which allowed Iggy to basically do as he wanted, he knew they would wade in as soon as there was any trouble. The Ashetons had a fiersome reputation which gave Iggy the freedom to bait local biker gangs..the Ashetons were more than happy to wade in and 'chain whip' anyone who threatend the band or Iggy. In fact nobody would ever take them on...I read a story about fellow Detroit band MC5..they had some really radical 'lefty' fans who demanded Iggy and co. join in the 'revolution' etc..the Ashetons basically told them to f off and when it turned nasty the MC5 'yippie' contingent ( apparenty there was 30/40 or so of them) attempted to 'kidnap' Iggy, Ron and Scott just said ''you have five seconds to unhand him'' and they all just backed off ...quick!

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 13:23:13 BDT
How about Hubert Sumlin? In later years he had a very gentle and modest manner when talking about his career but the sleevenotes to one of my Howlin' Wolf albums mention that he often tangled with Wolf, even going as far as smacking him with the butt of his pistol as his fists made no impression on a man twice his size. Pretty brave attitude seeing Wolf was a volatile man of immense build with presumably the strength to match. Sumlin nevertheless remained Wolf's guitarist for many years.

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 16:17:56 BDT
Leftin says:
Seeing the contributions from SM and S.C.H. makes me pose the question, who's the hardest man in Prog? I think there are some toughies even in that rather gentlemanly genre.

R. Fripp once went to the aid of a bandmate (pre-GGF) who was being attacked by a Poole chav (are we allowed to use that word?), and received some facial injuries. No one else was brave enough to help, and Fripp is quite a small gent.

Bill Bruford punched Chris Squire, who is NOT a small gent! Amazingly, he kept his Yes job...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 16:47:40 BDT
Hmmm...maybe Carl Palmer - isn't he something of a fitness fanatic and no slouch at karate?

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 17:45:32 BDT
Sparky says:
The gospel according to Ronnie: 'I have many a story about Chuck, especially when I lived in New York.
'I used to play with him quite a lot, and he'd always have to have the money up front in his guitar case and he'd leap straight from the stage with the guitar case full of money, throw it offstage and into the cab.
'Once Keith was there in the audience and Chuck came off stage and Keith ran up behind him, tapped him on the shoulder, at which Chuck turned round and went whack and smashed Keith in the eye, gave him a big black eye.
.................. possibly where the inspiration for Paint It Black came from ?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 18:13:50 BDT
Leftin says:
S.C.: Very good point. He looks quite fit, like Simon Kirke. Most drummers are probably quite robust, shall we say...

Sparky: Chuck Berry? I can't see the guy without thinking of that offence he committed - the one relating to the camera in his restaurant's ladies' room. He was apparently into watching women "on the job"...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  140
Initial post:  26 Sep 2010
Latest post:  22 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions