Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 117 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 May 2012 18:47:31 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Thanks for Hawkwind-Onward Spacey.
Not a band i'm familiar with,apart from a few obvious tunes/trips.

I think i'll wait till i'm out of my head to play it. ;-)

Posted on 15 May 2012 00:26:30 BDT
Puffany says:
Hey Hawkheads Utd, wanna keep the thread alive?

Rate their live albums please (1-5*)

i only have 2:
Space Ritual (naturally!!) - 5*
The 1999 Party 4*

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 01:21:59 BDT
Live '79 gets a grudging 3.5. They were very good when I saw them on that tour but taking into account the time constraints of the original single LP I thought Brainstorm and Masters of the Universe could have been replaced by something a little less predictable (although I was perversely impressed with the studio-derived plug-pulling on Silver Machine to end the album). They claw back one star for opening with Steve Swindells' excellent Shot Down in the Night and for including a pre-Levitation airing of Motorway City.

Posted on 15 May 2012 04:29:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 04:31:12 BDT
2old4925 says:
imho buy: Leave No Star Unturned : Cambridge Jan 1972 on cd. Lovely packaging too!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 12:33:35 BDT
Great idea, Puffany! I would be keen to know what the experienced Hawkwind fans recommend.

Posted on 15 May 2012 13:41:26 BDT
2old4925 says:
I recommend reading starfarers definitive guide to hawkwind live, particularly the link at the bottom of the page to all those dodgy hawk bootlegs: http://www.starfarer.net/hwalbums.html

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 17:01:27 BDT
Spacepig says:
Uhm, do you want my input or should I just wait until everyone else has finished and pick up the scraps?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 19:24:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 19:28:41 BDT
No, just dive right on in, Spacepig. I know you know yer schtuff.

Just listening to this gem Parallel Universe

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 19:38:10 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Goodbye Smitty.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 19:40:50 BDT
It has been an unalloyed pleasure, Psot Sov ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 19:48:24 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Yeah...yeah... it all starts with 'Parallel Universe' then next 'Psot Sov'...
Familiar symptoms.
'0)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 21:54:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 22:12:29 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
Hello there, Hawkwind Live an interesting journey:

Space Ritual 5*
Love In Space 5*
Reading 1986 5* (friday rock show release)
Live '79 4*
Business Trip Live 4*
The 1999 Space Party 4*
Live Reading 1992 4*
Live Chronicles 3.5*
Cantebury 2001 3.5*
Palace Springs Live 3.5*
Welcome To The Future(live compilation) 3.5*
Calafornian Brainstorm 3*
Out of The Shadows 2.5*
Live From Minniapolis '89 2.5*
Knight In Space 2*

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 22:08:05 BDT
Srroy, Psot Vositicket ~:@}

Posted on 15 May 2012 22:30:34 BDT
Puffany says:
.....some nice replies guys. That is some list Mr. B.

Posted on 15 May 2012 22:36:16 BDT
Interesting how the score steadily diminishes with the progression of the years.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 22:42:37 BDT
china cat says:
distance lends enchantment to the view?

Posted on 15 May 2012 22:56:40 BDT
2old4925 says:
I've been going to Hawkwind gigs since the 70's and they have diminished decade by decade - bring back Nik, Dave!

Posted on 15 May 2012 22:59:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 May 2012 08:26:09 BDT
Spacepig says:
Some nice mentions up to now, if I could just throw a few more suggestions into the mix, totally omitting any that have already been mentioned:

Acid Daze, Finsbury Park, 23/08/07: basically a fan recording, sound is a bit wobbly at times, but we get some fantastic versions of a few tracks from the Black Sword LP, released a couple of years earlier, along withthe traditional crowd pleasers. For an outdoor gig, quite a spacey one - 3.5/5

Atomhenge 1976 - Hey, it's got Calvert on it, how can it possibly fail? The sound maybe let's us down a little on a few tracks, that is more than compensated for by the outstanding track selection. As is expected, Calvert era tracks dominate, in particular from Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music 4/5

BBC Radio 1 in Concert: From a 1972 BBC session, 6 tracks only, but every one a stonker. Totally overshadowed by Space Ritual (and quite rightly so) but nevertheless, a wonderful addition to the collection. 4/5

In Your Area: a rather unusual one from the short lived Ron Tree fronted line up. A very strange track selection, one for the collecters methinks. 3/5

Live at Glastonbury Fest 1990: recorded in a field, and it sounds like it. So if you like your Hawkwind accompanied by the sounds of dogs barking and kids playing up, well this is the one for you. Coming off ther back of the Space Bandits LP, Bridgette Wishart has the main vocal duties, but this one doesn't do her any favours. Probably best avoided. 1.5/5

Live in Nottingham; Great sound, this one was recorded for TV and screened as part of the Bedrock series way back yonder. The DVD is well wortyh grabbing for the visuals, but the soundtrack works just as well. Harvey Bainbridge is on stunning form, possibly the best I have heard from him. 4.5/5

maybe do some more tomorrow.

Posted on 15 May 2012 23:12:05 BDT
Spacepig says:
Forgot to mention: One of the hardest to find live CDs is Spaced Out in London. You won't find it on the 'zon,and when it pops up on eBay it goes for silly money. But, I just happened to pick it up at their gig, got my copy fully signed (offers?).

Even better, because of the kind porker that I am, because it is so hard to find, I uploaded it to youtube a few weeks back. I had to do it as individual tracks because I haven't worked out how to upload a CD as one clip, but if you go to the link below then search the rest of my videos you will find them all:

http://youtu.be/xolh3gWFN4k

Posted on 21 May 2012 00:08:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 06:53:32 BDT
Spacepig says:
Anyone want a few more? OK, here goes:

Collectors Series Vol.2: Live 1982: Choose Your Masques: I might come back to Vol 1 later because although Live 79 has been mentioned, that is a greatly expanded but quite different version to the original release. But, right at the moment I have this one playing so.... Anyone who seen the 1982 tour will remember it - if not the music, then without a doubt the stage show. 30 years on, whenever I am asked the best concert I have ever seen, this one springs immediately to mind. It was, quite simply, spellbinding. Yes I had had lots of really nice goodies beforehand, but even though - WOW!! On this double CD we get the best of 2 nights at the Hammersmith Odeon. As to be expected, the material is based around the Choose Your Masques LP, but as ever, the old chestnuts get thrown in. Nik Turner does his best to take over on the sax on a few numbers. Which would be good if he could actually play the darned thing at that stage of his career, unfortunately, he couldn't. The sound is not fantastic, although by no means is it bad. To me this matters not a jot, it is a fantastic souvenir of an incredible tour and brings back some wonderful memories. Very highly recommended: 4.5/5

Yule Ritual: Live at the Astoria Well this one is, uhm, how do you explain this? A bit, er, spaced out for want of a better phrase. Recorded in 2000, at the time I think Hawkwind couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to be, so they just became everything all at the same time. Which of course is a recipe for disaster, but this is Hawkwind we are talking here, that makes a difference. So, with a plethora of guest appearances, we get maybe near enough every style of music they ever played, heavy space rock, blanga, trance, electronica, weird spacey widdly synthesizer stuff, alien voices coming through the airwaves (it's really Michael Moorcock but don't tell anyone), even a bit of ragga thrown in courtesy of Capt Rizz. Strange CD, very strange, but, amazingly enough, it works, it works very well indeed. For a live gig, the sound quality is excellent. It's not The Space Ritual, so it's not perfect, but it is very, very good. 4.5/5

This Is Hawkwind... Do Not Panic This was done on the 1980 tour, which means that we have Ginger Baker bashing away. And, well, you can tell it's him. But Baker was never Hawkwind, that's Dave's baby, and he runs the show here as ever. This one rocks, probably a lot rockier and less spaced than any of their live CDs. A good track selection, Levitation was the tour, but doesn't make up the bulk of the tracks, they are well spread. You also get two tracks which came as a bonus 12" with the original LP, recorded at Stonehenge in 1984. These are most definitely Nik Turner tracks and are very, well, different. I like them when I am in the right mood, but they don't stand up to the 1980 stuff. 4/5

I don't know if anyone is actually interested in these wafflings, if you say I am talking garbage just tell me and I'll stop now. I know I get carried away where Hawkwind are concerned but well, we all have our little manias don't we?

If no one objects, I will do more later.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 01:07:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 03:36:38 BDT
Puffany says:
All good info Spacepig - certainly not bored with it.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 09:39:03 BDT
No, keep it up, Spacepig!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 15:59:09 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
Cheers,
thats answered a few questions/reservations i've had about each of those discs,thanks again.

Posted on 29 May 2012 10:48:19 BDT
Spacepig says:
Well, after seeing Hawkwind last night, all I can say is WOW!!!! Bring them on again - oh wait a minute, that's been done, off to Dublin to see them again tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bu-e8wxPto

http://youtu.be/n51n2KF5gXU

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 08:31:19 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
I think that Spacepig's first post was very accurate....been a Hawkwind fan for 30 years and would rate:
Warrior as my fave, Doremi and In Search Of Space excellent, Sonic Attack and Masques and Levitation excellent.

For anyone new to Hawkwind, I'd recommend buying 'Master of The Universe' compilation (with the amazing cover) which I notice is on amazon at a crazy 2.89.

I'd probably avoid any material after 1996 as the energy had gone and too many lineup changes lost it for me.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  1 Mar 2012
Latest post:  25 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions