Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Rubbish rock/pop films

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-96 of 96 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2012 16:58:16 GMT
Carradale says:
Take your point , Nuge..

This is hard to watch.

The Connection
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054763/

The album of the music is perhaps less disturbing and depressing
The Connection

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 09:29:42 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Agreed Martin, Memo From Turner is a fantastic bit of melodramatic rock, had The Stones released the song it would be up there right at the top of the list.
I'm reminded of the old football adage "If Pele had done that we would still be talking about it".

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 15:08:24 GMT
Martin says:
Cheers, MC. Actually, there is a Stones version on the 'Metamorphosis' album, but it's nowhere near as good as Mick's Ry Cooder-assisted solo one IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 16:57:18 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Didn't realise that Martin, just had a listen............yuk, all the menace and sinister posturing has been removed, It sounds like a two-bar quick time version, you know, the sort of thing some bands do live when they 'medley' their old hits.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 23:03:28 GMT
Martin says:
Exactly.

Posted on 17 Feb 2012 03:18:52 GMT
So, we've moved onto music films we like, eh? Well now, here's a few belters. Slade In Flame has got to be one of the best, a really gritty peace of work, more like an episode of The Sweeney than Help!, with a great soundtrack to boot. As non-actors, Slade thamselves do ok and the film's main fault is the complete lack of period detail-it's set in the 60s, but is so obviously the 70s. Telstar, the story of Joe Meek has got to be about the best recently released music biopic, and both The Runaways and Sex And Drugs And Rock'n'Roll are also excellent-Kristen Stewart IS Joan Jett and Andy Serkis IS (an admittedly somewhat whitewashed) Ian Dury. Doc. wise I loved Oil City Confidential and Dig! with the insane Anton Newcombe of The Brian Jonestown Massacre being,well, insane. Great music as well.

Posted on 18 Feb 2012 17:41:49 GMT
Mondo Ray says:
'Ere, this un ain't bin mentioned yet. http://youtu.be/0k5yOSD0tG8

Lovely bit o' racism wiv song an' darnce included, innit?

Posted on 18 Feb 2012 19:21:45 GMT
Lez Lee says:
Couldn't bear to watch it, Mondo. Quite extraordinary

Posted on 18 Feb 2012 21:21:25 GMT
nocheese says:
Blimey. Even a token Scottish drunk in a kilt.

Posted on 19 Feb 2012 04:28:21 GMT
Val H. says:
One of the blokes in the band reminded me of Harry Fowler (The Army Game) so I googled him and saw he died in January this year aged 85. Don't know if this was Harry or not (he would have been 36 in 1963 so maybe too old) but I was happy to remember him and all the laughs he gave.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2012 09:24:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2012 09:28:08 GMT
nocheese says:
I also thought the wee one was Harry Fowler, Val. He's not listed in the cast, however.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2012 10:47:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2012 10:48:28 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
Mondo - remember that clip from my childhood. Back in them days the working classes and our 'colonial cousins' knew their place - unbelievable! Even primary schools used xenophobic and racist material to 'educate' the kiddywinkles back then - remember being issued with a book about a certain little black boy.

Posted on 19 Feb 2012 15:57:04 GMT
Mondo Ray says:
The weird thing is, I was looking for a clip from (the now appropriately named) What A Crazy World, which I recalled with a fairly warm glow of nostalgia having seen both Joe Brown and Marty Wilde live (and booked the former when I was Ents officer at RAF Marham). Imagine my disbelief when this was the first clip I found! What's worse is how at ease they clearly are with their beliefs, and what an awful snapshot of how we lived and thought back then. :-(

Posted on 19 Feb 2012 16:10:33 GMT
CHEEZE says:
Yes, thank god people people saw the error of their ways,& don't scrounge off the system anymore! ;-)
Your reply to CHEEZE's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 19 Feb 2012 16:27:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2012 16:33:12 GMT
nocheese says:
How about The Duke Wore Jeans [DVD] with Tommy Steele ? I remember liking it at the time, but I doubt if it has aged well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTOo_-wu78

Hardly Rock n' Roll!

Posted on 20 Feb 2012 05:07:27 GMT
Val H. says:
And I remember queuing for Billy Fury in "Play It Cool" in 1962.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A06eeIHKcbA

He was also in "I Gotta Horse". Billy Fury, horses and dogs - what's not to love?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymbEFDhp-M

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 19:42:30 GMT
I don't think Tommy is that bad, I just accept it for what it is: A seventies curio of riotous excess. Actually I spend most of it laughing out loud!

Anything with Cliff Richard in it is pretty nauseating!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 23:16:20 GMT
Martin says:
You don't like Cliff then? What about Take Me High?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 23:17:54 GMT
Great cure for constipation!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 23:19:22 GMT
Martin says:
Two a Penny?

Posted on 26 Feb 2012 14:31:48 GMT
Mondo Ray says:
The Classic Scene in this month's (er, that'd be April!) Empire Magazine is from Almost Famous. It's the one where Stillwater (the band) and their entourage (manager, Russell's GF and William the underage journo) are aboard their private jet and they're in fear for their lives as they're battered by turbulance. Many bad things are said before the drummer, Ed, utters his only line in the film. No spoilers here. You either know it or you don't. But it's a classic scene alright!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  13 Feb 2012
Latest post:  26 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions