Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2011 15:46:06 BDT
nocheese says:
Once a looker-upper...

Amazing site, Lez, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2011 16:37:05 BDT
china cat says:
Thanks Lez; fair took me back. Amazing how you get around the internut. The way things are going here I can scarcely navigate my way round Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2011 22:46:01 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Many thanks Lez. Fond memories of debauched afternoons and evenings in Cockburn St, the Royal-Mile and the High St, back in my drinking days, after buying the obligatory couple of LPs on a Saturday. I'd forgotten all about Greyfriar's Market.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 01:01:02 BDT
china cat says:
Did the Royal Mile become the High St as the evening progressed, JB?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 01:56:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2011 09:03:31 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
More than likely CC, more than likely. We referred to the top of the Mile, towards the castle, as the High St. Or are you referring to an evening at her Majesty's pleasure? Never happened as far as I can recall.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 06:09:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2011 06:11:35 BDT
Carradale says:
Cheers Lez. Was going to mention Greyfriar's Market too. I was a student in Edinburgh but later sixties and first half of seventies spent in Dundee. There was a Bruce's there too and the Caird Hall took a lot of the bigger bands. Saw Led Zep twice there.

Dundee nostalgia available here
http://retrodundee.blogspot.com/2010/06/bruces-records-of-week-1977.html

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 12:28:29 BDT
china cat says:
No, JB, just one's own pleasure. Just a late night play on 'high' though I must confess, even though I'm aware it became Canongate somewhere and even Lawnmarket above, High St and RM were a bit synonymous to me. Hardly been to the toun at all since everywhere became Tram St. It would be good if you could make it to some meet or other.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 12:39:18 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Silly me CC - has been known. I hope to pop in on 16 June as the Cafe Royal's only a few minutes from where I work. But I have a Wedding to attend in Glesgae on Friday the 17th, so I'll have to see how things go, work-wise, nearer the time.

Posted on 22 May 2011 12:42:02 BDT
Lez Lee says:
This is your librarian speaking.
The Royal Mile comprises Lawnmarket (at the castle) High Street (after George IV Bridge) and Canongate down to Holyrood Palace.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 12:44:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2011 12:44:44 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Yes, ma'am!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 18:49:38 BDT
nocheese says:
Thanks for the Dundee link, C, particularly since it relates to a band I didn't know back in the day, but have come to know and love since.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 19:49:41 BDT
Carradale says:
Thing with Jazz and Fopp is JB that things come and go. Sometimes things are a bit thin but then nothing is the full whack and when the bargains come they are good ones.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 19:58:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2011 19:59:19 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Sure Carradale, I appreciate that, same with other genres. But I think you'll agree that Fobb isn't a patch on what it used to be when it was an independent and doesn't have the same selection. Or maybe I'm just remembering it too fondly, being the original 30 quid at the weekend customer.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 20:33:42 BDT
Carradale says:
I just think of it as being patchy.

Posted on 22 May 2011 22:11:31 BDT
Lez Lee says:
It's amazing HMV have kept them going at all, never mind having bargains.

Posted on 23 May 2011 07:54:17 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
The profit must be there Lez, or Fopp would be dropped like a hot tattie. That Billie Holiday best-of has arrived by the way. I know very little about jazz, but this is terrific stuff and, as you say, it's the real deal - what a bargain.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2011 20:38:04 BDT
china cat says:
possibly just juggling the hot tattie, JB. It doesn't look too promising for music/book shops largely down to folk like us going for online traders.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2011 21:12:31 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Sadly, no it doesn't CC.

Posted on 24 May 2011 21:48:35 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Speaking of which, is there still a Spud-u-Like in Edinburgh? I always meant to report them to Advertising Standards as it was a lie. And the plastic knives broke.

Posted on 25 May 2011 00:11:48 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
No idea if there are any Spud-you-Clearly-Don't-Like shops any more. Think there's still a baked potato shop at the top of Cockburn Street, across from the Scotsman "Lounge", though.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2011 05:52:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2011 05:58:49 BDT
Carradale says:
There's one on Waverley Bridge apparently but they must mean the Princes Mall and at The Gyle.Was there not also one called something like Mr Chucketty-Leaves? (or even Leafs!)
Garlic butter with Mussels in Marie Rose sauce. Seemed the very dab after "a few" pints in Bennets.....
Now there's another great Edinburgh pub. Used to have barmen still in starched white aprons, a brass tap for water on the bar and bowls of still-shelled hard-boiled eggs in a bowl in a wee glass case on the counter. Huge range of malts,good beers and a tiny snug. And through the back the lounge is The Green Room for The King's Theatre which could be interesting.

Soup and sandwiches there on a Saturday was a real student treat.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2011 07:30:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2011 08:11:27 BDT
I remember when I went to college at the start of the 80's in Belfast that Belfast after 7 o'clock at night was like London in the film 28 Days Later, ie empty and everything closed. The only place a well fuelled chap could get sustenance was a Spud-u-Like down near Shaftsbury. It was a life saver. So lets not knock them!! The spud filled with mushroom soup and cheese was my favourite.

Outside the Errigal on the Ormeau Road at 1 in the morning was the place to see the Zombies ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2011 08:00:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2011 08:00:28 BDT
Carradale says:
"Edinburgh-based firm brings tattie joy to Belfast"

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2011 08:10:42 BDT
Was that the lady on the till, Carra?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2011 08:23:22 BDT
Carradale says:
Well we spruced her up a bit for the trip.

"Let Joy be unconfined" someone said so we sent her over the water for a wee break.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  1242
Initial post:  17 May 2011
Latest post:  10 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions