Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Nine Inch Nails - Trent Reznor one of the best artists this century has seen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-55 of 55 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2009 17:28:34 GMT
Leftin says:
Tasteless and stoopid? I've done them both. I got drunk and tried to climb the walls of a Magistrates Court (doh!). Got drunk and used a bike with no lights or brakes, and almost ended up in the river (double-doh!!). Caused a flood at school. Ruined a new relationship by letting her know too much. Yes, I've been a prize ass quite a few times. But I draw the line at recording in a house where a pregnant woman was murdered by a bunch of lowlife cowards.

I admire your polite response, by the way, and hope this response is polite too. But I do feel strongly about this sort of thing, which to me negates all the good stuff about rock'n'roll.

PS Did I mention his cookie-cutter vocals?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2009 20:07:35 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
I agree Leftin - It's exploiting a horrific crime for shock value purposes. Then again how often are symbols like the Iron Cross used in Rock, with all the connotations that brings.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2009 21:56:46 GMT
Tommy says:
Leftin

to make things clear, I dont agree with this kind of advertisment, and thats what it is, bad advertisment. But that doesnt make Reznor a stupid Person.

Someone in his inner circle should have said at that time something to him about bad taste. But I suppose he had a lot of ar*elickers around him at the give time. So this s*it happend.

Anyway thats just my explanation

Posted on 14 Mar 2009 01:04:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2009 01:25:03 GMT
spiderboris says:
Well he was also known around this period - and I think especially during his time spent producing Mariliyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar album - for indulging in all manner of sordid goings-on involving drugs, groupies and the like. I haven't read the Manson autobiography but apparently there's some lurid tale about them covering a naked blind girl in meat... I think it gets worse after that.

Reznor has said that he realised he was falling into the tragic cliche of being a messed-up rich junkie playboy superstar, and decided to sever his ties from that sort of lifestyle. He also went through many years of the typical drink-drugs-depression cycle but seemingly got out of it in one piece. We might then ask, if he weren't such an obviously screwed-up individual, would he have gone on to produce the spectacularly angst-ridden music he has done so far?

And as some people have noted thus far, Reznor is by no stretch a conventially capable singer. Its precisely because Reznor isn't a hugely talented vocalist that his endlessly snarling rage and fury rings true, and perhaps this lack of obvious singing ability led him into either screaming or whispering every other line, something which has gone on to have a marked influence on a good number on bands and artists, especially in the metal / goth spectrum.

It's very similar to the way you'll hear echoes of someone like Kurt Cobain in so many places - another non-singer who found it easier to screech and howl out his agonies rather than just try to sound like any other ordinary singer. Some of the more interesting vocalists for me are the ones who understand their limitations, and find intriguing ways to transcend them.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2009 02:55:58 GMT
I think the reason people prefer Fragile is due to an emotional thing. Downward Spiral is very raw, very to the bone you could say. The life that brings on a slit wrist, whereas fragile was a study of that, a look at the causes of it rather than the actual events.

It takes different people to like different music and give Reznor his due, he reached a wide audience with both albums.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  19 Sep 2008
Latest post:  14 Mar 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions