Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

chris cornell great singer or not

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-34 of 34 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2011 21:32:27 BDT
Martin says:
He's good. Who?

Posted on 20 Oct 2011 14:19:27 BDT
Puffany says:
Just under an hour ago, me & the mrs. saw Cornell on his solo acoustic 'Songbook' tour. It was brilliant!! A mix of covers and originals. His voice was excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2011 15:02:23 BDT
Martin says:
Did he do any Chris de Burgh numbers?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2011 15:04:05 BDT
Brass Neck says:
If he did a number on Chris De Burgh .........?

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 21:22:51 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I'm not so sure a lack of range precludes one from being a great singer. It merely means that one can be a great singer only within that range. There are plenty of singers out there, past and present, who have a narrow range but are recognised as great.
Although I like Chris Cornell, and have his solo albums (even Scream), and with Soundgarden, Audioslave and Temple of the Dog, I don't think I would go as far as to say he is a great singer - but not because of his lack of range. I think he has a distinctive voice, and I think (throughout the history of music) that a singer with a distinctive voice is often mistakenly referenced as great. It helps, I'm sure, but it's not enough to be distinctive. I actually love Cornell's voice. I just don't think it's great.
I think there is often an unrecognised discrepancy between liking a singer, and whether or not that singer is/was great. (And the same whenever it comes to any of those "best guitarist" / "best drummer" / etc. threads.) Of the same era and area of Cornell, I think Layne Staley had an awesome voice, but I don't think he was a great singer.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 07:45:15 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I don't know what makes a great singer and I guess it's subjective anyway. Tone,texture and emotion is all that matters to me. I like the voices of Cornell and Staley although I think the last AIC album is the best they've made. I also think the delivery of the message is the most important thing. That's why I'm a big fan of Eddie Vedder and the grand master of vocal delivery Ian Dury.

Posted on 6 Mar 2012 09:15:48 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Well, I guess if tone, texture and emotion is all that matters, then Cornell, Staley and Vedder are all great singers! :D
I love AiC's last album too, and it is quite possibly my favourite of theirs. But I have always thought that AiC was Jerry Cantrell's vehicle more than Layne Staley's, and in a way that "Black Turns to Blue" is so good sort of "proves" my point to me. The best album Layne sang on was not even AiC - it was Mad Season. That album is amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 09:21:29 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Above I agree, a magnificant album!

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 02:23:43 GMT
mister joe says:
Layne Staley.Now theres a singer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  19 Aug 2009
Latest post:  13 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions