chris cornell great singer or not

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-34 of 34 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2011 21:32:27 BDT
Martin says:
He's good. Who?

Posted on 20 Oct 2011 14:19:27 BDT
Puffany says:
Just under an hour ago, me & the mrs. saw Cornell on his solo acoustic 'Songbook' tour. It was brilliant!! A mix of covers and originals. His voice was excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2011 15:02:23 BDT
Martin says:
Did he do any Chris de Burgh numbers?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2011 15:04:05 BDT
Brass Neck says:
If he did a number on Chris De Burgh .........?

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 21:22:51 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I'm not so sure a lack of range precludes one from being a great singer. It merely means that one can be a great singer only within that range. There are plenty of singers out there, past and present, who have a narrow range but are recognised as great.
Although I like Chris Cornell, and have his solo albums (even Scream), and with Soundgarden, Audioslave and Temple of the Dog, I don't think I would go as far as to say he is a great singer - but not because of his lack of range. I think he has a distinctive voice, and I think (throughout the history of music) that a singer with a distinctive voice is often mistakenly referenced as great. It helps, I'm sure, but it's not enough to be distinctive. I actually love Cornell's voice. I just don't think it's great.
I think there is often an unrecognised discrepancy between liking a singer, and whether or not that singer is/was great. (And the same whenever it comes to any of those "best guitarist" / "best drummer" / etc. threads.) Of the same era and area of Cornell, I think Layne Staley had an awesome voice, but I don't think he was a great singer.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 07:45:15 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I don't know what makes a great singer and I guess it's subjective anyway. Tone,texture and emotion is all that matters to me. I like the voices of Cornell and Staley although I think the last AIC album is the best they've made. I also think the delivery of the message is the most important thing. That's why I'm a big fan of Eddie Vedder and the grand master of vocal delivery Ian Dury.

Posted on 6 Mar 2012 09:15:48 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Well, I guess if tone, texture and emotion is all that matters, then Cornell, Staley and Vedder are all great singers! :D
I love AiC's last album too, and it is quite possibly my favourite of theirs. But I have always thought that AiC was Jerry Cantrell's vehicle more than Layne Staley's, and in a way that "Black Turns to Blue" is so good sort of "proves" my point to me. The best album Layne sang on was not even AiC - it was Mad Season. That album is amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 09:21:29 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Above I agree, a magnificant album!

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 02:23:43 GMT
mister joe says:
Layne Staley.Now theres a singer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  19 Aug 2009
Latest post:  13 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions