Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

G'day Prog-heads. Share the luv - what do you rate as the best LIVE Prog albums?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 66 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 21:59:05 BDT
Spacepig says:
Tull aren't prog - are they? I never thought of them as that but then what would I know, it's all just music to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:07:15 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Confusing isn't it? I always thought of Tull as Folk Rock with proggy tendencies.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:09:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 22:10:15 BDT
Brass Neck says:
I thought Tull started out proggy but by 78(?) and Busting Out they were a rock band with folk tendencies. Very good album though.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:10:00 BDT
Zoltan says:
So if Magma and Caravan are prog only in the wider sense, what on earth is the narrower sense? Are we only allowed to mention Yes, Genesis and ELP or something?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:12:11 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 May 2012 22:14:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:17:37 BDT
or something is a definite no, no and you have just earned yourself a 3 week suspension from these threads for posting that.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:19:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 22:24:29 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
There is an age old arguement reference what is or isn't prog, some view it as the replacement umbrella term for what was originally 'underground' I don't, for me it was the sub genre who went in for excessive experimentation, Egg, Mid period Gentle Giant etc etc.

It is I suppose for the individual to decide but when Jon Hiseman classes Colosseum as jazz rock, and Ian Anderson fefuses to acknowledge Tull as being prog then for me, they made the music, so their word counts more than some underworked music hack who dreamt up the name in the first place.

Brass: Tull started as a blues/rock band, added jazz then folk and the rest is history.

Saw the Ridge the other week Derek over at the Robin in Bilston ....soup herb.

EDIT: Zoltan, I could work out where I said anything about Magma, just reread my initial post and can see that while I was referring to Caravan, it could also read that I was commenting on the previous post .... I wasn't.

Posted on 24 May 2012 22:22:53 BDT
CHEEZE says:
Exhaustive discussions on What Is Prog, (bottom of this page) & was still none the wiser!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:27:24 BDT
Prog is what you get when i try to mention a certain type of green amphibian using this damn k'brd of mine

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:37:51 BDT
Zoltan says:
Mark, sorry - I completely misread what you were saying in that case. Amazon tells me your post was "In reply to" my post so if you bear that in mind I interpreted what you were saying as something like "I don't really consider them [Magma] to be prog but, if we are going to broaden the definition, I will suggest Caravan."

For what it's worth I like Caravan and consider both them and Magma easily to fall under the prog umbrella.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 22:51:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 22:52:42 BDT
Spacepig says:
Brassy, Tull surely started out as a blues band didn't they? Then they became sort of, well, folky kinda bluesy, then maybe dropped the bluesy bit and became something else which I don't have a name for. Then maybe into the late '70's - early '80's dabbled a little bit with some proggy things before giving it up as a bad joke and slowly sort of morphed into what they are now. But of course the problem is, what are they now? Is it proggy, or maybe a bit proggy/folky with maybe some bluesy bits thrown in among the rock and pastoral stuff? I don't know - but they're good anyway.

Posted on 24 May 2012 23:07:33 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
best prog live album? surely 'Space Ritual' by Hawkwind wins by a country mile,runners up 'Yessongs: Yes' and 'Seconds Out' -Genesis.

Another name to throw in ....Camel ... Pressure Points :Live, a contender,maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 23:10:03 BDT
Spacepig says:
Aha Mr B, but are Hawkwind prog? or psychedelia? or spaced out weird freaky stuff? Even seen them described as hard rock before? or, or, or, or maybe I should go and lie down in a dark room for a while?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 23:29:16 BDT
Mr Blackwell says:
Hello Spacepig

'but are Hawkwind prog? or psychedelia? or spaced out weird freaky stuff' For me Prog has always been a mixture of all of the aforementioned attributes(Iwith a little heavy rock thrown in),so for me Hawkwind would be the ultimate 'Prog' band.

Given the names thrown about so far,its plain to see that 'Prog' is a term hung on bands that dont really conform to any specific genre..

So far we have had Hawkwind/Genesis/Yes/Tull/Wishbone Ash to name a few,i would be surprised if we all agreed that those 5 were all Prog,
Others ,for me, would be Camel/Caravan/Greenslade/Eloy/King Crimson, i'm sure others could name quite a few more

Dream Theatre ? would we throw them in,their 'Live Scenes... live disc is amazing.

Time for my lie down i think.. Night All.

Posted on 25 May 2012 02:31:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2012 02:33:03 BDT
RedAlFire says:
Greenslade's Live (recorded in 1973-75) - released in 2000/1 is pretty good IMO or you can go for their Greenslade 2001 - Live The Full Edition from 2002 if you like. Always had a lot of time for this band since first catching them in Bromley (or maybe Dartford?...it's a bit fuzzy now) in the early 70's then being amazed by them on OGWT. Superb cover art too...;-)

All need to go read the Canterbury scene thread too for some real roots prog....

Posted on 25 May 2012 02:45:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2012 02:46:50 BDT
2old4925 says:
A Live Record (Remastered/Expanded) (2CD)
and
Gong Live etc
or
Live in Sheffield 1974 - [Vinyl Replica]

Posted on 27 May 2012 17:53:09 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
This is one of my favourite live albums Cook Originally released as a single album in 1974 but now a remastered 3CD set

Posted on 27 May 2012 20:24:56 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
I'm not a progster by any stretch of the imagination, but ELP would seem to epitomise prog and their 'Live at Mar Y Sol Festival, Porto Rico, Jan 1972' from From The Beginning ain't too shabby.

Posted on 27 May 2012 23:09:14 BDT
bill g. says:
Renaissance --- Live (1976) Annie Haslam at her very best.

Posted on 27 May 2012 23:36:49 BDT
I'm staying well away from the "What is prog?" debate and nominating Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Ladies And Gentlemen - Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 23:54:17 BDT
A triple album! Hard going, but moments of genius!

Posted on 28 May 2012 01:28:02 BDT
Porcupine Tree - " Warszawa " & " Coma Devine " - Also RPWL - " The RPWL Live Experience "

Posted on 31 May 2012 00:16:00 BDT
Martin says:
I dunno about "the best" but my favourite and most played over the many years is probably 'Seconds Out' by Genesis which is a double live. A lot of prog bands actually don't sound too different on live recordings to what they do in the studio, anyway, since most of the music is tightly arranged and doesn't generally lend itself to significant reworking or improvisation - a notable exception being ELP who never seemed to do the same version twice and have released LOADS of great live albums.

Posted on 31 May 2012 08:30:10 BDT
R. Pini says:
GENTLE GIANT 'Playing the Fool - Live' come to think of it, one of my favorite albums ever, live or studio.

Posted on 31 May 2012 08:31:28 BDT
R. Pini says:
And for my LEAST favorite, Procol Harum 'Live with the Edmonton Orchestra' - terrible waste of good vinyl.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (733 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What artists/bands have you got tickets for and/or who've you seen recently? 1641 9 minutes ago
What Are you Hearing At The Moment - Part IV 1316 48 minutes ago
Music Quotes --- Your favourite quotes from songs, interviews, biographies, reviews etc. 13 21 hours ago
YOU CLEVER B8STARDs:An open letter to people who know erm thingys 1480 3 days ago
The complete bo**ocks, talk tripe, no music allowed thread 4489 6 days ago
R.I.P. Layne Staley --- Died 12 years ago today - April 5th, 2002. 9 13 days ago
What are the best rarely 'aired' Rush Tracks 20 14 days ago
royal mail scam? 43 14 days ago
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain --- found dead 20 years ago today - April 5th, 1994. 47 14 days ago
Pointless HM round 21 28 days ago
Zep album overhaul 64 17 Mar 2014
What Are You Hearing At The Moment - Part III 9999 26 Feb 2014
ARRAY(0xb28a31bc)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  24 May 2012
Latest post:  11 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions