Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

What is Prog?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-300 of 329 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 May 2012 14:13:06 BDT
2old4925 says:
Must thank you profusely Schizoid for alerting me to the fact that Quicksilver MS have issued a 4 disc anthology. Just purchased it new on ebay for under 20 quid. It proves that even proggers have good taste now and again!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 17:13:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 17:15:52 BDT
Thumbs up in that case ;-)

Wouldn't call myself a progger actually...plenty of punk and garage in my collection...Crimson of course my faves, but would argue that they were well beyond 'Progressive Rock' after 1973. Certainly their 80's stuff bore little relation to 'In the Court..' but whatever!

Posted on 29 May 2012 19:59:28 BDT
2old4925 says:
No-one likes being called a 'progger'!!!! I guess I just don't like bands who don't hold a groove. Constant key/chord/instrument changes drive me absolutely bonkers. The only band I have ever walked out on is one that did this to distraction. They are called 'Mostly Autumn' but have been renamed by me 'mostly awful'! Cheers again for QMS.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 20:40:16 BDT
Well you gotta love John Cippolina!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 21:22:20 BDT
S.R.J says:
Camel, particularly early stuff, is not, by any sretch of the imagination, space bl**dy rock.
S.R.J

Posted on 29 May 2012 22:10:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 22:11:33 BDT
2old4925 says:
I know SRJ, but I do love 'em, so they got added to my very arbitary 'like' list! I certainly don't class them as prog though - just a very melodic rock band. I think Gong could be classed as psychedelic jazz and, of course, German music has it's very own genre: krautrock!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 08:07:29 BDT
What were those outtakes/jam sessions I sent you like, Schiz? I have never gone through them, amazingly.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 08:10:23 BDT
Well as you can imagine..I guess a lot of outtakes are called that for a reason! But amongst the dross there are loads of excellent passages of music and guitar! Actually even his poor stuff is better than most people's good stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 08:14:00 BDT
Thanks, Schiz. That is enough to make me dig them out and give them a spin. Have a good day there, sir!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 16:53:06 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
That about sums it up for me too 2old. Many musos, jazzers and classical nuts like to diss most popular music for sticking to a groove. They think all this chopping and changing time signatures and keys and using obscure chords is clever but tend to forget something called 'a tune'. Have also heard Mostly Autumn. Poncey dreck to be sure...IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 17:23:57 BDT
2old4925 says:
We're obviously on the same page over this Nuge!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:05:26 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Sure thing 2old. The only exception is for me is King Crimson of the Discipline era and that's mostly because they sound more like Talking Heads' on Fear of Music /Remain In Light.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:35:08 BDT
Signs of recovery there, Nuge ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 11:05:54 BDT
I shall allow you to remain on here in that case! ;-)

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 23:15:32 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Fire Make Thunder One that Porcupine Tree fans may be interested in. One of this years best albums (so far) imo

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 13:18:15 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Guess I had better add that one to my wishlist, now that I think I may be becoming a PT fan. I admit it, I caved. My first PT purchase is The Sky Moves Sideways, and it's rather marvelous. Given that throughout this discussion, PT have been liked and recommended by several posters, but have been denied the tag prog, I have to wonder why. Also, I have to wonder why the comparisons by a couple of posters to Coldplay and Radiohead. This album sounds more like a pink camel named Floyd, than any headcold radioplay! And before someone then decides to say that if it sounds like 70s prog, then it hasn't progressed, and therefore isn't prog - the influences are there, but most certainly presented in a modern twist. At times I am also reminded a little of Suns of the Tundra, who are a modern prog band closer to the Tool persuasion than any lumbering 70s beast. I knew I shouldn't have bought into the PT back catalogue, now my wish list has just grown longer. Grrrrrr......

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 11:03:26 GMT
brogdonius says:
Progressive and prog became two different things as the terms mutated. Much the same as R'n'B means something completely to what I remember as R'n'B. Progressive was wide-ranging and to do with pushing boundaries, whereas prog has come to mean something much narrower in an almost derisory context (not in all cases though). Ultimately I like a lot of progressive music, and I like a lot of prog, and I tend not to listen much to the ones I don't like. What else matters and WGAS anyway?

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 11:14:49 GMT
Arthur says:
Is this prog? ...it is now ...released Jan 2013
http://youtu.be/c3cL2bVMA1k
Lifesigns
be interested to know your thoughts....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 11:40:24 GMT
brogdonius says:
Everything said about it seems designed to put it in the Prog pigeon-hole, and I would guess the sound they're aiming for would be the "Prog" sound - swirling keyboards, melodic guitar and (probably) surreal lyrics. Can't really say till it's out, but my bet is they'll be happy to have it so labelled as they're targetting excatly that market. Question is - is it any good? No scrap that, it might be good, but will I like it?

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 11:43:50 GMT
brogdonius says:
What about this as an example: I reckon you could put forward an argument that Muse can be defined as progressive, but I think it much less likely that you would call them prog. Does this prove anything...........the hell it does.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 17:23:19 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Yes it makes sense to me. I've always believed that prog and progressive are different

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 22:26:44 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I would have called Muse prog, but hey - there you go! ;)

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 00:20:05 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
NH. You may well be correct however I'm content to live in my fantasy world where prog means more than just the music. The world of Afghan coats, joss sticks, power cuts, the 3 day week, British Leyland, Wimpy bars, Melody Maker, 28% inflation, 30% basic rate of income tax, warm Newcastle Brown ale, English ex public school musicians with beards and long hair. I don't know enough about Muse to give fair comment. I really liked their first album but didn't like the next 2 so I've lost contact with their music. Their first two albums were not prog imo. The best debates stem from disagreement though. I'm happy to always be wrong as long as the banter is respectful.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 03:23:00 GMT
mancheeros says:
Apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said. But the term 'prog' was never used when I was listening to this kind of music back in the 70s. It was always the more respectful 'progressive rock' or just 'progressive'. I only became aware of the word prog in the late 80s/90s by which time progressive rock had become so hated by most music lovers that it was the genre that dare not speak its name. Prog was a kind of apologetic abbreviation, a cautious kind of re-branding of this hated genre that had virtually gone underground or at least to the margins of the music industry. Nowadays with the internet I think the word prog is used more affectionately because like-minded people can get together without fear of ridicule, and we can celebrate our shared enjoyment of so much stimulating and varied music that was trying to expand the nature of rock music. I think if you're looking for an album to define prog then King Crimson's 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' would be a good place to start. It's often called the first true prog album and I would agree with that.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 03:48:36 GMT
Shadowblade says:
I agree with the chronology, but "prog" is a stupid, derisable term used by hipsters on Planet Rock etc.

Or should I say "Pla Ro"?

~
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  329
Initial post:  18 Mar 2012
Latest post:  24 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions