Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

What is Prog?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 329 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Apr 2012 00:49:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 00:53:13 BDT
Poor Mr. Hudson must be wondering what going on here. To enlighten you Mr. Hudson, M.C. does enjoy his bit of fun with us progheads and it is all with mirth. The number of times we have had a mass debate about prog at our PPU's, well that is sometimes unbelievable. Thats just one step before stupor.(lol) But to be honest, M.C. is just all mouth and no trousers with him being a Suferner and no talent or taste as expected of a geriatric punk. But love him to bits with a hint of sympathy, as us PPU's do tend to. Care to join our next meeting, (If Deano gets his act together to fence the place beforehand) Mr.H?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 01:19:11 BDT
yeah! Butt out M.C.!! We all know you're a soul/Blues/ R'n'B man! Bloomin well upsetting us progheads! ;-)
Ashamed you should be! Ashamed!

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 04:44:20 BDT
N. Hudson says:
Not wondering at all, and M.C. has been one of the more constructive posters in this thread. Besides which, Dream Theater are a bunch of weigh anchors anyway, in the sense that their brand of prog really is musical masturbation. I don't say that because I don't like them, because I do - but a lot of prog is musical masturbation. If you're not weigh anchoring your instrument, you're probably not playing prog. (Which is not to say that all weigh anchoring is prog, but probably all prob is weigh anchoring....)

(Can I say masturbation? Probably not....)

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 10:29:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 15:16:52 BDT
It sounds less obvious if you put "mass debation", but we know what you mean!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 10:39:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 10:40:12 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Seems you can, have and did.
and Schiz it's R&B not R'n'B that's everything from Yardbirds to Otis you'll have people thinking I like Usher and Rihanna...............and yes, we know you would!

Oi, Starship .............Geriatric Punk?!! not that fond of Punk and I'll race you to the chippy and back at the next PPU..........cheeky Northern git.

Have a great Easter.
;o)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 13:58:17 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
I'd say "less of the northern" !!!!!!

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 22:46:53 BDT
N. Hudson says:
As I sit here, holding my wee boy as he projectile vomits, listening to Truly's Fast Stories...From Kid Coma, I am compelled to mention the album in this thread. A border-line prog album here, and one which I am sure is more on the other side of the fence - but the prog influences are in your face and undeniable nevertheless. I will not wax lyrical too much, as I am liable to start to replicate my review on the album page too much. Suffice to say that this is one of my most favourite albums ever. It might not be prog, but it has a lot of the hallmarks: Unnecessarily long songs, a bizarre concept, intricate arrangements, strange time signatures, and a mellotron. I described Truly in my review as sounding like the psychedelic rock of the Doors meeting the proggy heaviness of Tool, if that gives any indication of what they sound like. Or, of course, you could listen to the album on Spotify. Some of the tracks are fairly straight-forward rock, but when the band let loose (particularly on the longer tracks), they really hit it. Awesome! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012 11:07:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2012 11:13:25 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
NH. These are the moments that keep me hooked into this forum. I have never heard of this album until now. I've just listened to the clips on Zon and will now have to explore further. Likewise with Tool, I've listened to one album but remember thinking that there was too much of an 'over the top' American feel to their music for my taste. I don't think American bands (those that I've heard) have ever done prog very well. Coheed and Cambria being another who are a bit long winded and cheesey for my taste. Having said that. What do I know? I like Tales From Topographic Oceans!!

Edit: Fast Stories From Kid Coma Just read your excellent review

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 11:59:01 BDT
N. Hudson says:
A pleasure, RM! Of all the bands that received record deals out of the Seattle "grunge" explosion, Truly got one of the rawest deals. I'm not sure how the record company knew what to make of them though, or how to market them. If you do like Truly, then you might want to check out Robert Roth's Someone Somewhere. An enjoyable album, but nowhere near the dizzy heights of "Fast Stories...from Kid Coma". (Thanks for the positive comment for my review also!)

I know what you mean by the "over the top" American feel when it comes to prog, and for the most part I agree - though I am not sure that means that Americans do not do prog very well, but merely in an American fashion (which, without meaning to sound xenophobic, is often rather "over the top"). But where (eg) Dream Theater is "over the top", Tool is full of subtleties - perhaps so subtle, that they are missed by many who are overwhelmed by their heavier approach to prog. I like Dream Theater and Tool, but Tool is by far the more talented of the two bands (proof that technical ability and talent do not necessarily always go hand in hand, as Dream Theater).

Coheed and Cambria are the Yes of America! ;) :D

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012 22:03:11 BDT
Mr Mosquito, check out Psycheletic by a band from Portland, Oregon called Obscured By Clouds. If you dig Levitation I think you'll enjoy this. Also, try Jupiter by Cave-In.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 04:35:06 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 Apr 2012 04:55:55 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 04:38:29 BDT
ha ha..nice one Shadow!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 08:38:14 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for the recommendations Mr RLJ. I've listened to the ObC clips on here. I like what I've heard. They remind me of Porcupine Tree on some tracks and Voivod on others, a very pleasing mixture imo! I'll listen to some 'Cave in' today. They've made a few albums so I'll try some of the others as well. These are both new bands to me.

NH I like the Robert Roth album. On reflection I was wrong to say American bands don't do prog very well. I should have said 'don't do prog to my taste'.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 08:49:15 BDT
N. Hudson says:
One has to presume that Shadow's post was tongue-in-cheek, as prog is a natural abbreviation, whereas (with the possible exception of class) the others are just silly. Since class is already a word in it's own right, that abbreviation does not really work either. But prog is a convenience rather than a cool thing. It's easier to say prog rock or alt rock than progressive rock or alt rock. As the meerkat would say, "Simples!"

And now for something completely different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPvE9JMg5A

(I love this song!)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 09:47:49 BDT
N. Hudson says:
I forgot what I came here to post before, distracted as I was by Shadow's nifty wee post. I meant to say that I like Cave In, and Jupiter is a great album. Lyrical content aside, the best way I can describe it is as if The Holy Bible was recorded by an American Manics. Jupiter and Antenna, which followed, are far less heavy than the albums which came before and after, so be aware of that.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 15:57:04 BDT
Mr. Mosquito, early Cave-In is raging hardcore/metal so be careful. As for Jupiter sounding like a US Manics, Mr. Hudson have we heard the same album?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 22:27:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2012 22:35:33 BDT
N. Hudson says:
I don't know Mr. Jones, have you heard The Holy Bible? Jupiter sounds like that album to me, but more American.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 22:34:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2012 22:35:20 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
NH I think your reply should have been for Mr Jones?
I think if these guys stick together and keep practising they'll make quite a tight unit one day!!
The Machinations of Dementia

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 22:39:29 BDT
N. Hudson says:
Edited suitably. May I just say it has been a looong couple of nights. I would be in bed already, but for wee Toby. I did at least manage to hit reply to the right post, even if I messed up who I was addressing (and despite managing to address in kind, as had I been replying to you I would have called you RM, rather than Mr. Mosquito - and even if I were to call you Mr. Mosquito, it would be Mr Mosquito because I do not use a fullstop normally.)
I will put Blotted Science on my "to listen to" list for tomorrow (early morning probably, around say 4am?). In the meantime, I have been listenting to the Mars Volta, who I guess are probably prog. Are they? I'm too tired to care.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 22:54:05 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
That's ok NH. Hope Toby (nice name) settles soon and you're able to get some sleep. I'd appretiate your thoughts about Blotted Science, when you have an opportunity to listen.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 23:59:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 10:43:50 BDT
Shadowblade says:
Well, I meant no offence to anyone, but that's just what "Prog" is as far as I'm concerned. I love the music, love the people but cannot bear that ludicrous word. I find it ridiculously irritating and absolutely objectionable beyond all endurance. I never heard anyone use it until I discovered Planet Rock and even the guy that does Led Before Bed uses it. It's almost enough for me to switch off. I mean, are we twelve?

But I see my opinion has been censored already. At least Shizoid Mark has a sense of humour.

~

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 08:42:23 BDT
N. Hudson says:
I think most people have a sense of humour. I even assumed you had a sense of humour too, or would not have accused you of making your post tongue-in-cheek! ;)

As a matter of interest then, as the abbreviated label "prog" is so objectionable to you, do you have the same problem with equally abbreviated labels "alt" and "indie" - or, for that matter, the big daddy of them all, "pop"?

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 08:59:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 09:14:05 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
I didn't see your post Shadowblade so I don't know what you are writing about. I've had a couple of posts removed by Zon and not really understood why. I've been into some prog for many years now and therefore I don't have a sense of humour.

EDIT Even the late great Led Zeppelin's name is abbreviated. Plant and Page decided on the name Lead Zeppelin however Peter Grant, their manager, thought their American audience would call them 'Leed' and therefore suggested they use the abbreviation Led.

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 09:25:11 BDT
N. Hudson says:
Shadowblade says:
I'm just buyng some Gentle Giant albums when I saw this.
What is Prog?

"Prog" is a stupid term used instead of Progressive Rock, which is a term that's been around since the early 70s as when I was 11 in 1973 one of my teachers was into Pink Floyd and that's what she called it.

"Prog" is a completely stupid, irritating, "look at me aren't I cool" word used by DJs on radio stations like Planet Rock. You might as well call Heavy Rock "Hea", or Folk Music "Fo" or Classical Music "Cla".

Ooh! Look at me with my Stravinsky album, I really love Cla!

WHAT!?!? Grow up, [Fire Truck] off, get a life.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 09:29:43 BDT
N. Hudson says:
RM, Blotted Science are awesome! :D
Loved them from the first beat of the first track. They are like a souped-up Dream Theater without the cheese and corn. (I like DT, but boy are they cheesey and corny - in that way that only American bands seem able to manage.) Blotted Science make DT seem like Duran Duran - poppy and pappy. (I like Duran Duran too, which is possibly something I should readily admit to.)
Guess what has been added to my wishlist? Thanks RM! :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  329
Initial post:  18 Mar 2012
Latest post:  24 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions