Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

ROCK/METAL CROSSOVER WITH CLASSICAL...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Nov 2008 19:26:13 GMT
AJ says:
In the wake of bands such as Therion and Trans Siberian Orchestra, and albums like Metallica's S&M, which bands out there would fans consider best suited to an orchestral experiment ala Metallica??
I'd have to go for Iron Maiden esp. The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner!!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2008 18:16:36 GMT
FDJ says:
Dream Theater would sound awesome in front of an orchestra.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2008 19:40:40 GMT
AJ says:
Did you know that they have done something like that? I think it's a Live CD and DVD called Score - I believe that it's very good!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2008 01:05:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2008 01:15:04 GMT
A bit off the topic, but if classically tinged progressive metal is your thing, then check out an American band that goes under the moniker of SUSPYRE. They have seamlessly fused classical and metal music with such precision that their music is breathtakingly enthralling. Check out my review on this website.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2008 10:46:17 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! listening to Deep Purple's dire effort with the Royal Phil, Metallica with the Frisco Symphomy orch and anything involving or influenced by Malmsteen and you should know this aint a good idea. Sorry..this touched a raw nerve with me. I go into spasms at the mere notion of rock and classical fusion.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2008 13:40:02 GMT
AJ says:
Thanks I will - I've always felt that Classical & Rock despite their apparent differences, have a lot of common ground in the dynamics of the music.
Metallica's S&M was amazing despite some dodgy song choices and the criminal omissions of the likes of Orion. Is Malmsteen really that bad - I haven't heard him?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 00:56:00 GMT
zargb5 says:
Rock+metal+classical=pretentious vacuous bollocks

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2008 12:27:11 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Malmsteen is a prize tw@t mainly because he has such a monstrously huge ego and tells everyone he's the best player on the planet. If you like the idea of Paganini played on the electric guitar then he's your man. I suggest that a more pleasant way of using your ears is to puncture your eardrums with tetanus infected rusty skewers

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2008 17:26:40 GMT
Incidentally...one of my favourite past times then :P

I think some music would go well....something like power metal would just be backed up by a classical influence; some such as Dream Theatre (as suggested) or perhpas even Nightwish (whom im not a huge fan of). The problem comes when bands try to do it to gain something which they dont need, and ruin there music in the process

Personally, i enjoy Malsteems music, but i will agree that he is a egotistic to the highest order

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2008 19:39:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Nov 2008 22:29:12 GMT
Erin says:
I do not think Metallicas S&M was any good at all. The music was obviously not written to include an orchestra and it just sounds like an add on. The 2 don't merge in anyway at all. Just sounds like two different pieces of music being played at the same time. Terrible.
However, having said that I LOVE orchestral metal. Music that is initially written with the orch. included. Within Temptation-Mother Earth is an amazing album that is the best of this genre. Nightwish and Epica are also super at writing this type of music. Epica is heavier than the other two; The Divine Conspiracy being a top notch album. The orchestra adds such a dramatic quality and I especially love the sound of strings. Anyone into metal should give these bands a listen.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2008 23:01:51 GMT
AJ says:
Hi Erin, I would really recommend you the following Therion albums; Secret Of The Runes, Lemuria/Sirius B, Theli & Gothic Kabbalah. They use full orchestras & choirs and have a really HUGE sound. Also despite your dissapointment at S&M (which I loved) , I would also suggest The Scorched Earth Orchestra Plays Metallica's Master Of Puppets. And if you don't mind Black Metal, then Dimmu Borgir's Death Cult Armageddon has a full symphony orchestra and a very epic sound - Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2008 18:28:09 GMT
Erin says:
Thanks Adam. I shall check out your recommendations. I was thinking of trying Therion anyway so you've made my decision easier. I'm not sure about black metal yet. I've only listened to a little. Do My Dying Bride come in that genre? And Draconian?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2008 20:54:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Dec 2008 20:55:51 GMT
AJ says:
I dont really know Draconian or My Dying Bride but I believe MDB have some very good violin. You won't go too far wrong with Therion, very intense and very emotional. Check out the cover of Summernight City on YouTube....

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 20:31:08 GMT
Erin says:
Adam, Try Draconian. I think they're good. Not too 'death metal'. Quite perky in places (for that type of music). I've got some Therion. Off to listen now.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2008 12:59:35 GMT
Adam....I am a huge Therion fan and their music is sublime as they evoke so many different emotions within their music. Certainly, a good starting point for someone to get into their vibe would have to be the post death metal days, as prior to this they were still trying to carve their identity at the time. They have definitely come a full circle since those days.
My Dying Bride tip their hat more towards doom/death metal, but are great listen and have a very melancholy vibe to the proceedings, although the use of the violin is done rather sparingly compared to other bands. Word of caution here; do not listen to them if the anti-depressant tablets have run out, as they can be one morbid ride!
I see no one on this forum has mentioned Finnish orchestral/instrumental metallers, Apocalyptica. These jovial, fun loving Finn's are great and their music has such a happy upbeat sound to it. Great music to play if the cranky old in-laws are visiting, or just for a great party vibe as they seamlessly crossover from classical to metal with utter perfection - something for everyone here. A recommendation, check out the album `Reflections', which has its subtle, but alluring moments.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2008 14:00:50 GMT
FDJ says:
Cheers Adam i'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2008 18:56:16 GMT
Erin says:
I love Apocalyptica. I've only just discovered them. They are certainly different. Makes a nice change from the usual set of instruments. I play the flute so I'm always interested to hear a traaditionally classical instrument used in a different way.
I agree with the comment about MDB and anti-depressants!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  13 Nov 2008
Latest post:  3 Dec 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions