Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Blur remasters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Oct 2011 21:14:49 BDT
IndieFan says:
Who here wants a good set of remastered 2CD+DVD sets of the 7 Blur albums. I'd love some and there is so much material to put on.

Posted on 20 Oct 2011 21:17:38 BDT
IndieFan says:
E.g. Caramel this song is amazing and there is a special ambient version of it still not realsed.
Suede have done it. Radiohead have had it done for them without their permission. And now it's time for Blur i recon.

Posted on 21 Oct 2011 00:03:54 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
I'm not a Blur fan however 13 is indeed a decent album. On a slightly different note I bought this for 1p + pp from Zoverstocks. The Good, The Bad & The Queen the sound quality is absolutely aweful. I also bought this a few years ago and still enjoy it Love Travels At Illegal Speeds

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2011 08:31:05 BDT
The Good The Bad and The Queen is so utterly tedious..........................................................lyrically subzero, music fine until Damon drones his singing..........

Posted on 21 Oct 2011 13:59:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2011 16:54:15 BDT
Great shout IndieFan. The '13' and 'Think Tank' albums were panned by many of the band's followers, who clearly seemed to think that they should just stick to the formula that spawned Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife. However, in my book both were absolute gems. Would love to hear the 'special ambient' version of Caramel, not least because I am intrigued as to how it could be any more ambiently inclined than the '13' version.

As for The Good The Bad & The Queen, I think it mainly served as a vehicle for Damon to have a good old rant about the monarchy. Having said that, I still think it had its moments, with Simenon's basslines a particular highlight throughout.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2011 16:52:17 BDT
TheFoe says:
Agree with you about 'Think Tank' Liquid, the single 'Out Of Time' was Blur at their very best. Can't comment on '13' as I haven't heard it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2011 10:04:11 BDT
T. Franklin says:
Agreed. I'd also add "Blur" to the list. Three superb and very different albums.

Posted on 22 Oct 2011 11:47:25 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Any Coxon fans? His output has been poor imo but I love this Love Travels At Illegal Speeds

Posted on 22 Oct 2011 16:43:26 BDT
IndieFan says:
It seems Love Travels has been mentioned twice. A great record definitely, but my favourite Graham Coxon may be the brilliant but underrated The Golden D This album 'The Golden D' and '13' show what the man was doing - and Music Is My Radar Music Is My Radar [CD1] [CD 1]
Leisure is also a great album. Modern Life is Rubbish, 13 and Think Tank are absoulutely BRILLIANT! Parklife is also brilliant (but slightly annoys me when it gets ranked above MLIR, 13 and TT - but that doesn't stop it). The self-titled Blur is also brilliant and experimental Blur had fully arrived. Forget Song 2 may we say, the good but massively overrated track from that very album. 'Essex Dogs' and 'Beetlebum' from that do it for me.
My Blur song favs are roughly these: 'Popscene', 'Advert', 'Music is My Radar', 'Trimm Trabb', 'Me White Noise', 'Intermission', 'Caramel', 'Battle', 'Crazy Beat' (even though everyone seems to hate it), 'Beetlebum', 'For Tomorrow', 'Sunday Sunday', 'Lot 105' etc. etc. the list goes on but definitely 'This is a Low'.
As for the remastering, perhaps only say albums 1-4 (leisure-the great escape) need remastering, the mastering on 'Blur', '13' and 'Think Tank' is brilliant.

Posted on 22 Oct 2011 17:13:48 BDT
Toffeeman says:
Would Blur benefit from added focus that remastering would bring?

Posted on 23 Oct 2011 21:25:12 BDT
IndieFan says:
Leisure would

Posted on 27 Oct 2011 17:36:37 BDT
IndieFan says:
I've actually listen to Love Travels at Illegal Speeds recently and i forgot how great Standing on My Own Again is.

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 23:36:31 GMT
Do the majority of Blur albums need a remasret. Most of them were released after they'd got a bit of a handle on digital recordong and had a good job done in the first place.
Have 3 of their albums but Don't think I'm that fussed about obtaining 2CD versions even if they have the material to put out

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2011 21:00:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Nov 2011 21:00:58 GMT
Brass Neck says:
There's every possibility the remasters will be loudness wars balls-ups like Nirvana's Nevermind which has a dreadfully compressed sound and loads of clipping distortion which makes it incredibly fartiguing (sic, but I like it!) to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 08:50:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Nov 2011 08:51:09 GMT
Carradale says:
Should this not be on the oxymoron thread, Toffee?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 14:16:41 GMT
Toffeeman says:
Possibly. Was it going then?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 14:50:42 GMT
Carradale says:
Ah! Good point , my man.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 14:51:45 GMT
Toffeeman says:
But it is nice that someone has now spotted the comment....Blur...focus...etc

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 14:53:28 GMT
Carradale says:
Credit where it's due, T.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 16:21:22 GMT
Saw the comment Toffee, thought you were aking them to go Dutch on cost of buying.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011 16:49:41 GMT
Toffeeman says:
This might be a little difficult to spell but my response was something like....hmph

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2011 09:17:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2011 09:17:46 GMT
Lyttleton? Bogart, perhaps??

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 08:52:14 GMT
Carradale says:
Repton?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 12:22:37 GMT
Toffeeman says:
I understood Smitty's but didn't have the capability to cope with Carra's
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xab43bf30)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  20 Oct 2011
Latest post:  7 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions