Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

If Love Was Like Guitars - Favourite Solos

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Oct 2008 00:55:52 BDT
Number Six says:
Enough with the riffs already, how about some favourite guitar solos?! Anything from lyrical acoustic to the fiercest shredding known to man. A few to be going on with-

Andy Powell on Throw Down The Sword. Exquisite and emotive playing of the highest order, he even manages a duet with himself. Still blows me away every time

Joe Satriani's Surfing With The Alien, basically the whole track. What can I say except he raised the bar to a sickening degree for most axemen. I knew players who almost quit after hearing this!

Jimmy Page on Since I Been Lovin' You. An absolutely blistering blues rock solo, I don't think he ever played a better lead in his life.

Jimi Hendrix, Come On Let The Good Times Roll. No effects, simply him and his strat and you can hear how much he's enjoying himself. Not technically his best perhaps, but I love it 'cos he just lets rip, a sheer delight to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2008 20:18:52 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Without being too specific, Kirk Hammett is really back on form on Death Magnetic -
especially Day That Never Comes, My Apocalypse, Judas Kiss and Unforgiven 3
(a MONSTER of a solo!!)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 10:49:59 BDT
C. Philip says:
my favourite guitar solo is the one from Michael Jackson - Beat It, cor! the fact that i love that solo so much also makes me hate fall out boy's cover of it as the solo in that is arse!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 17:28:54 BDT
Ben Faulkner says:
it has to be David Gilmours epic solo at the end of Comfortably Numb, hands down the best song on The Wall, hands down the best solo ever, and its fades out, which makes you think the solo just goes on forever........million out of a million

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2008 21:10:28 BDT
J. Quinn says:
Mask Of Sanity by Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom.
nobody's probably heard of him but he's an insane guitar player

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 15:59:10 BDT
I think we need to make a distinction between guitar instrumentals like Surfing WTA and solos. While I like well thought out instrumentals I find most solos very, very predictable and lacking in any melody. That said some great solos are
Green grass and high tides by The Outlaws. 100 x times better than the similar-ish Freebird
Boogie no more by Molly Hatchet - there are several solos here incl some top slide work
Big bad moon by Satriani - ditto
Sheep by PF - more like a riff-solo fusion by Gilmour. Top stuff though.
Station to station - Earl Slick on this Bowie toon
Baker Street - the Gerry Rafferty classic but dunno who played the smokin solo
Reeling in the years -the Steely Dan tune but solo played by a sessioner

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 18:11:49 BDT
Sera69 says:
There's a bluesy, punk band out there called The Starlite Desperation, the title track of whose debut album 'Go Kill Mice' is 8 minutes worth of groove that erupts in a spitting fireball frenzy worthy of Freebird...

Awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 19:22:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Oct 2008 22:37:08 BDT
Number Six says:
Feel the same, Nugent Dirt. I enjoy solos that contribute to a piece of music and don't go much on the shred for the sake of it or gratuitous formulaic plank w**king, which is where I think a lot of modern metal falls short.
I remember Clapton once saying something to the effect that the guitar was his way of singing, and for me a great solo really has that quality of an individual player really giving voice to their emotional state.

As for solos and whole tracks, distinction accepted, consider SWTA withdrawn to be replaced by Rory Gallagher's turn on Crest Of A Wave, some luvly slide playing (Nice call on Green Grass n High Tides! I think the Reelin' In The Years solo was Skunk Baxter, who was a member at the time but didn't last long.)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 02:34:44 BDT
The Baron says:
Spot on about the soloing. Two of my faves are in the same song-"If You Want Blood,You`ve Got It",by AC/DC. Where Mr.A Young really rips it up in his own funky chicken way. Superb.

Others include Michael Schenker on UFO`s "Only You Can Rock Me"[and pretty much all of that album,Obsession]. Oh,and Rush`s Alex Lifeson on "Lessons" from 2112.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 09:38:25 BDT
IMO a lot of metal bands and shredders have created this agenda that fast = good and fastest = bestest and to hell with taste, finesse, feel and appropriateness. Kids pick up on this and for them speed and technique is the be all and end all. Take Vai, Malmsteen, Iron Maiden and a whole slew of other fretw***ers who dont sell many albums. Sure they've got all the chops but has any one of them created a memorable solo? BTW I checked out the Reeling in the Years solo and it was some bloke called Elliott Randall.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 10:50:11 BDT
Jimmi Page - Stairway to heaven solo, its a classic.
Kirk Hammetts solos on master of puppets and some of his new stuf on death magnetic is very good.
Wat about 'Freebird' good solo

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 12:00:47 BDT
My vote would go to...
Eddie Hazel (Funakadelic) - Maggot Brain

Not a solo in the strict sense but lovely non the less

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 13:50:25 BDT
G. McAdam says:
Hugh Burns (top UK session player at the time) was responsible for Baker St - it's still one of my all-time faves even now.

GM

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 17:30:26 BDT
Number Six says:
Damn, corrected AGAIN! (I'll have to get another copy of Can't Buy A Thrill) Nice call on Maggot Brain, ilikemusic, forgotten all about that one.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 12:09:29 BDT
J. Hextall says:
These rock solos are all great - to my mind, one of the best solos in the whole of popular music is on Goodbye to Love by the Carpenters. Check it out if you can bear to!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 14:32:03 BDT
Sparky says:
Totally agree with J.Hextall on Goodbye to Love by the Carpenters; used to play it a lot till my tape gave up the ghost.
Also, Oasis - Don't look back in Anger , gonna learn that one one day.
Also, Keef on Sympathy for the Devil; short, sweet and to the point; really enhances the song which was pretty damn good anyway !!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 16:16:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2008 16:17:07 BDT
I love Dave Gilmours solo in 'Another Brick in the Wall'
also Eddie Van Halens solo in Michael Jacksons Beat it.
I remember listening to a Jimmy Page interview once, he went through a phase where he did not listen to any new music and had never heard of Eddie Van Halen, until he heard Beat It on the radio. He copped an earful of the solo and said to himself, "sh*t! I can't do that."

One of my eternal faves is the solo in "No one at the bridge" on Caress of Steel by Rush. That and pretty much anything else by Alex Lifeson.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 16:35:27 BDT
Ease. Public image limited. Compact disc 1987 track 7

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 18:31:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2008 18:43:10 BDT
El Grande says:
Dave Gilmour: Comfortably Numb (Pulse)
Joe Bonamassa: ripping up the fretboard at the start of New Day Yesterday (not the one off the new live album)
Mark Tremonti/Myles Kennedy: Blackbird (Blackbird)
Jimmy Page: No Quarter (Live)
Brian Robertson: Still In Love With You (Live and Dangerous)
Eddie Van Halen: Eruption ( Van Halen [Ok, so strictly speaking it`s an instrumental])
Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin` (Live)
Angus Young: Bad Boy Boogie (If You Want Blood). The best one note solo you`ll ever hear.
John Squire: I Am the Resurrection (Stone Roses). This is stunning.
Richie Sambora: Wanted (Dead Or Alive) (Slippery When Wet). Man, those pinched harmonics do me every time.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 19:21:04 BDT
Paul McNamee says:
There's a solo around 9;30 on Dream Theater's "The Ministry of Lost Souls" from Systematic Chaos that puts all other DT solos to shame, it's that badass. Like someone above said, fast does not equal good. There needs to be some sort of structure, writing even, to guitar soloing. Which is why the solos on Death Magnetic are rubbish.

It's also a shame that the rest of that Dream Theater song sucks too. All that guff to sift through before the good stuff. The same is true of a lot of their work.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 20:21:02 BDT
Try Blackmail by 10cc.... simply stunning. Great lyrics to the song as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2008 07:07:32 BDT
Eddie Van Halen on Michael Jacksons Beat It
Dave Gilmour on Comfortably Numb
Lennon & Harrison on Abbey Road The End
Stevie Ray Vaughan on David Bowies Criminal World
Angus Yound AC/DC Highway to Hell
and Thousands of others that have made the hairs on the back of my neck stand and my fingers to bleed while trying to work out how they did it!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2008 09:49:20 BDT
Xander B says:
Wonder why no-one ever mentions Tom Verlaine on Television's 'Marquee Moon'? Has to be one of the greatest solos of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2008 10:28:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Oct 2008 11:52:01 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
I find that the best solo's are produced at mid tempo pace where they can be manipulated to create high and low spots for effect, my best examples would be..
Andy Powell - Throw down the sword
Dave Gilmour - Comfortably numb and Sorrow
Martin Barre - Aqualung (live Bursting out)
Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown) - Louisiana blues (live Blue matter)

Don't forget a solo is only as good as the backing musicians allow it to be, they can make or break it.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2008 18:58:42 BDT
K. O'Leary says:
Suprised there's only a small showing for Van Halen's "Eruption", as from what I remember that track caused every spotty teenager to get a guitar.

There are some excellent choices already mentioned, but a few left out are;

Steve Hackett - Firth of Fifth (best on "Seconds Out")
Alex Lifeson - YYZ
Steve Howe - Awaken (1st solo)
Michael Schenker - Cry for the nations
Brian May - Brighton Rock
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (739 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  74
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  4 Oct 2008
Latest post:  8 Mar 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions