Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

The 70s or 80s

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jan 2012 22:21:44 GMT
J Fenner says:
Simple question really but which decade was the best for rock / hard rock and metal in your opinion?

To help 70s we had the start of those genreses to a degree, Puple, Zepplin, Priest (arguably at their best), Rainbow etc

80s Maiden, Metallica and the whole thrash movement, hair metal, grindcore starting out and various other sub genres.

Born in 1980 I love the 70s bands and those whose output went beyond that decade, but love the variation the 80s brought as well.

Which is your best?

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 23:01:51 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Personally the 70's by a country mile. Rock was still fresh and the new ideas were finding their way to the fore. The legacies from the 60's rock explosion still remained - many getting even better. 80's rock had something going for it but there was an awful lot of teeth, hair and leather pants to contend with. Bit too fake glam for me.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 23:02:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2012 23:15:38 GMT
LM says:
80's for me. Metallica and guns n roses some of my faves.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 23:13:49 GMT
Elastic Rock says:
Without question the 70's. Musically the decade had everything. As AL pointed out, it all got a bit Hair Metal in the 80's. Just look what happened to the once mighty Whitesnake!.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 23:33:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2012 10:58:52 GMT
The 70's saw the most significant changes in the music scene that popular(all genres) music has ever been through. Firstly the jazzers got into rock and brought all of the musical sophistication of that genre right into rock - Mahivishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, Return To Forever, Jeff Beck(moving from heavy blues based rock right into and through jazz rock fusion)

The rockers got into music theory and invented, or more accurately developed the beginnings of the genre in the late 60's, prog rock, taking rock well beyond the heavy blues based 12 bar bizzness of yore - King Crimson(although to call this idiosyncraic group prog is not really a fair thing to do), Yes, Colisseum II and others

Technology allowed folk to produce music of previously unheard of complexity to be created via the use of multi tracking(proper and not the mixdown and bounce methods as favoured by Joe Meek and George Martin), the stomp boxes invented for the guitar players(the wah wah, delay pedals, fuzz boxes, the Maestro Brass Master-an old fav of mine for the bass), the lighting rigs allowing bands to put on better stage shows - which in turn inspired different ways of writing songs to suit the larger venues, the increase in PA capability to deliver quality sound all the way around a venue - thereby avoiding a Shea Stadium Beatles screamalong situation etc........................

The lack of the internet, mobile phones, telephones in general, very limited tv all meant that folk had more time and less distractions to deal with whilst woodshedding to hone their musical chops to a high level. Did more folk have an instrument or two lying around their house as that was a key source of entertainment during and following the war? I don't know. But I certainly seem to remember more folk having a piano in their house somewhere, even if it was well out of tune. Certainly the changes between the 40's and the start of the 70's were nowhere near as great as those in the last 20 years.

The drug culture also played a big part of the change in music over the 70's. The tail end of the 60's saw LSD and other pharmas amking greater inroads into general use. What was once the "pleasure" of the welathy or connected became that of the working person. This no doubt inspired a lot of the noodling and improvising that took place, in turn leading to new sounds and styles in the music being created.

Then along came punk, to blow away a few cobwebs and generally peeve folk into either capitulating or fighting back. Certainly those that rode it out produced some great music.

All of this upheaval and incredible creativity laid down the foundations. The music that came along in the 80's, whilst being great in many aspects, was built on what the 70's had laid down. Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden etc........are all developments of styles of music that were already in place.

The genre of music that underwent the biggest period of innovation in the 80's, although to an extent not the greatest period of creativity, was dance music and the use of synthesisers in general.

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 00:48:09 GMT
The 70's rock music, hard rock, metal, killer albums these were the classics:
Black Sabbath: Paranoid, Jethro Tull Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Led Zeppelin 1V,
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of the Moon, WYWH,The Wall, Rainbow, Scorpions, Aerosmith, UFO,
they were great times

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 08:13:10 GMT
Wharf Rat says:
...and well written smitty,full of passion and conviction,not
much I can add to that,seen many artists,bands performing
from pub venues to halls to festivals....and I can vouch that
the late 60s/70s was special,in a spectacular way.Full of musical innovation,creativity and performance.PA sytems
dramatically improved,thanks to somebody I won't name but had an influence via GD...no more of those Wems! and such like......a rollercoaster knock-on for the years ahead...Fly systems was also introduced by the same band and copied
world wide......the music industry owes so much to........
........The Grateful Dead.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 11:00:00 GMT
It all comes back to The Grateful Dead, eh, Wharf ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 17:17:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2012 17:17:41 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Don't encourage him smitty....;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 17:20:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2012 17:21:30 GMT
Just as well I did not mention Bear.................................and his recording tricks/production methods/PA designs/pharma influences etc............................

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 17:31:20 GMT
RedAlFire says:
No,no....I can't take it anymore....!

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 19:53:00 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
Definitely the 1970s, if only for the classic Alice Cooper (and the AC Band) albums.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 20:11:14 GMT
Wharf Rat says:
Anybody that I should know.......... ;-)

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 23:26:22 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Jan 2012 23:28:33 GMT]

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 23:26:23 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Jan 2012 23:29:02 GMT]

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 23:26:28 GMT
bill g. says:
The seventies for these great albums "Hawkwind" "In Search Of Space" "Space Ritual" "Doremi Fasol Latido" "Hall Of The Mountain Grill"

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 23:26:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Jan 2012 23:26:58 GMT]

Posted on 18 Jan 2012 23:27:44 GMT
I got it first time 'round, Bill, thanks ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 23:28:09 GMT
Probably not, Wharf. He was a ..............................

Posted on 13 Feb 2012 23:03:58 GMT
Heavy rock, glam and punk. The 70s, no contest.

Posted on 13 Feb 2012 23:09:21 GMT
Martin says:
It's not even a contest -the 80s were sh-ite, weren't they.

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 18:44:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2012 18:48:26 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
70s for me. All my top 30 albums are from the 60s, 70s and 90s. Having said that there was a little bit of decent pop around in the 80s. Namely New Order, XTC and Echo And The Bunnymen and my favourite Stones album was released in 1981 Tattoo You

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2012 18:46:25 GMT
Brass Neck says:
.... although it consisted of tracks laid down in the 70s and given a polish!

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 22:27:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2012 22:29:29 GMT
The 70's for me, that's when the template was laid down and have I evere, ever mentioned anywhere it was when THE rock album of all time was laid dow, namely Deep Purple In Rock.
There is also just something about the guitar and organ sound/tone that immedietly let you know it's a 70's recording. Well unless of course you are listening to the Allman's who still manage to produce that sound to this day.

I don't rember the 80's which means i must have been there

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 22:46:35 GMT
70s says:
I just dont get the " punk blew away the cobwebs " stuff. Virtuoso bands from the 70s just ran out of steam, made poor records and generally got old in the 80s. Punk? Just garage rock and as fake as Cowell now. I like my music to come from someone who can play, not puke and spit. 80s, way too much lurex and pout and thrust, uuughh. 69 to 77 best years all that followed was retreads or taking the pee
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (745 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Upcoming releases and other bulletins 162 1 hour ago
Opeth 89 9 hours ago
What Are you Hearing At The Moment - Part IV 4957 10 hours ago
Music Quotes --- Your favourite quotes from songs, interviews, biographies, reviews etc. 52 10 hours ago
The complete bo**ocks, talk tripe, no music allowed thread 4775 12 hours ago
What artists/bands have you got tickets for and/or who've you seen recently? 2110 21 hours ago
Edinburgh 'Out to Lunch' 1213 3 days ago
You Tube videos --- and other gems from the www. 37 3 days ago
Tip Top Telly (Not Necessarily Music-Related) 134 7 days ago
Prog Magazine Vote 2014 - Top 100 albums - do you agree? 41 15 days ago
Record/CD/Music shops round Soho.......remembered. 19 15 days ago
New album by North Atlantic Oscillation 2 21 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  17 Jan 2012
Latest post:  19 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions