Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Elbow - is The Seldom Seen Kid really better than Cast Of Thousands?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Sep 2008 22:16:47 BDT
M. Ryott says:
I don't think so. I meen I know they're different records, but emotionally, musically, Cast Of Thousands was on a different level. Is it because a popular song gets you a popular album, gets you popular with the press and masses...guess so, but I think Elbow have been, and can be better than this.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 01:10:35 BDT
M. Sinclair says:
I love this album, its stunning, personally i think better than cast of thousands.
This blew me away from the first listen.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 06:06:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2008 06:11:52 BDT
spiderboris says:
I've been a fan since I first bought the Any Day Now ep on a whim, not having a clue who the band were. Personally I don't think Elbow are capapble of producing a bad song let alone a bad album, although I rather wish they'd keep with the more psychedelic, out-there folk-jazz they often go for on their b-sides, or the heavier sound of the first album. The Seldom-Seen Kid does sound like their most mainstream work to date and although its not at all bad, I'm slightly paranoid that they might be in danger of going down the U2 route of writing endless big, meaningful ballads in the hope that they will chart.

The Mercury Music prize is an odd thing, since the 12 nominees are usually great albums and getting nominated gets them much well-deserved publicity, but who wins overall seems like a bit of a lottery to me since they any of them could easily win it, unless you go on the conspiracy that they give it to a rock/indie act one year and an 'urban' one the next. I'm sure the judges are flipping coins and drawing straws right up to the last minute...

And since I haven't answered the question yet, no. Although I still think few so called serious rock or indie bands of today will ever get anywhere near to being as good as Elbow are. It's terriffic that the album's now seems to be the top seller on Amazon. And I've been singing On A Day Like This to myself for weeks now. Greatest chorus of the year!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2008 16:26:15 GMT
S.R.J says:
No it isn't better,it's just different. I for one would find it tedious if one of my favourite bands were to continually mine a formula. However,every album of theirs has a truly anthemic,live,audience participation track,to the die hard fans you will know the tracks I mean. But yes,as someone above highlighted,the last album has more than a nod to 'the mainstream' (in parts). Having said all that I love 'em, the inverted snob in me was slightly dissapointed they won the Mercury,it didn't do Gomez any favours,who I would argue live in the same tent as Elbow. But it will be hard for any band to better 'Newborn'-even Elbow I suspect.
ta ta

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 21:02:44 GMT
Number Six says:
O.K., standing in Philistines Corner here I couldn't give a toss. They are overrated, full stop. Guy Garvey does have a great voice, but sound wise, despite my best efforts to get them I simply don't. It's all very worthy stuff, and various attempts have been made to 'help' me appreciate them (notably the above mentioned Newborn) but it still all sounds non descript to me, and I simply can't understand what all the fuss is about, Mercury award or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2008 14:48:26 GMT
personally think seldom seen kid is their best, beautiful from start to finish.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2008 22:47:27 GMT
I agree with Zombie Wolf about Garvey's voice, and I've dabbled with Elbow a bit in the past, but ultimately only like a couple of their tracks (Great Expectations, Grace Under Pressure). I found Seldom Seen Kid incredibly boring and couldn't believe the hype.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2008 23:41:57 GMT
spiderboris says:
Come on, they're secret lovers of prog. It's the law round these parts so we must love them...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  21 Sep 2008
Latest post:  21 Nov 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions