Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Led Zeppelin made great arrangement of Ukrainian folk song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jan 2014 14:42:40 GMT
Alex says:
I am fan of yearly Zeppelin. Not so long ago I discovered that their "Stairway To Heaven" is actually variation on the traditional Ukrainian lullaby song "Oh, Sleep, My Child (see Youtube video http://youtu.be/f9SyK445Rx8 ) The lullaby was known more then 100 years.

Wikipedia wrote about Led Zeppelin: "their unique style drew from a wide variety of influences, including folk music". It's unbelievable but it is the real fact. Led Zeppelin has multinational roots and one of them is Ukrainian folk music!

You can find "Oh, Sleep, My Child on the album Traditional Songs And Instrumental Dance Music Of The Left-Bank Of Kyiv Region. (track #15)

Full version of the song you can hear online on
http://www.origenmusic.com/ukrainian-folk-music-left-bank.html
What do you think about that?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 15:20:03 GMT
gille liath says:
I think this is spam. You've fitted a different melody to the Stairway chords. Folksongs don't come with chord sequences; whether your melody is traditional, or made up by you based on Stairway, I've no way of knowing. At most, it's an interesting similarity of tune; if so I should think it's most likely coincidence. Any evidence that Zep were exposed to Ukrainian folk music?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 15:41:53 GMT
Alex says:
Be sure the melody is traditional, not made up based on Stairway. The melody was known 100 before J.Page was born. Listen to the original of folk song. It's the same as on Youtube

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 19:09:34 GMT
FDJ says:
If that's the case then it was Randy California of Spirit who stole it first
http://youtu.be/xd8AVbwB_6E

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 20:18:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2014 21:01:42 GMT
gille liath says:
Yes, I've heard it, but I have only your word that it's 100+ years old. More importantly it's not Stairway, although it vaguely fits the chords. Any guitarist knows you can fit dozens of different melodies to a chord sequence.

I repeat, do you have any reason to think Zeppelin have ever heard this? Because I think it's just two simple melodies that happen to be a bit similar. We all know they weren't above borrowing/reworking/ripping off others' music - but I'm not convinced this is an example.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 22:28:35 GMT
You were right in your original deduction, look at his profile.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 23:04:31 GMT
Alex says:
Hi
Thanks for your comment.
First of all I'm almost sure that neither Zeppelin nor Spirit never heard Ukrainian folk song and it is coincidence.
I've just played both songs on keyboard. Right hand- Stairway and left hand - folk Song. Try to do that and you'll see that both melodies are identical. They are two voices of one song and if someone wants to sing Stairway polyphonic he can take folk melody as second a voice without doubt.
If you are interested I will try to upload somewhere what I have played

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 23:10:18 GMT
Lez Lee says:
In what way does this matter to anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 09:06:14 GMT
gille liath says:
Well personally, if it was true it would be interesting. Equally if it's not true, but someone's claiming it is, then that in its own way is interesting too.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 12:17:58 GMT
Alex says:
I've just uploaded what I played on keyboard.
- First line Stairway (solo),
- second line Stairway and folk song simultaneously
- and third line - folk Song solo.
Direct link to mp3: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mp3-music/Lulleby-led+zeppelin.mp3
Do you think it is two different songs? I think it is two voices of one song or, better to say, it is two variations on the same song.
Please take into the consideration that Led zeppelin use much more words i.e syllable in the lyrics. Therefore there are a little more notes in their variation.

Posted on 24 Jan 2014 13:16:54 GMT
They also stole Custard Pie from Delia Smith.........

Posted on 24 Jan 2014 13:26:34 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Sneaky thieves...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 13:27:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2014 13:27:56 GMT
Sad thing is, it got trampled underfoot.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 13:46:56 GMT
Post Soviet says:
by black dog I heard?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 14:01:42 GMT
Which inspired the song Bron-yr-aur stomp, allegedly.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 17:07:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2014 17:08:51 GMT
Post Soviet says:
...which originally was ancient Welsh lullaby.

Posted on 24 Jan 2014 17:30:26 GMT
reaverman says:
Led Zep have done what man bands in the past have done, and borrowed stuff from somebodies music bag. Just like most Rock/Pop bands like the Beatles, Cream, Quo etc. It's nothing new, and it will always happen.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014 21:45:59 GMT
gille liath says:
Not to mention The Rover from Coronation Street, and The Ocean from Ocean Colour Scene.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  23 Jan 2014
Latest post:  24 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions