Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

best 80s heavy rock album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Sep 2008 16:55:07 BDT
i personally feel that appetite for destruction cant be beaten as the defining 80s rock album,metallicas master of puppets comes close though as does hysteria by def leppard any thoughts on this

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 21:49:11 BDT
M. Ryott says:
I like Appetite For Destruction, it was loud and brash enough. And there were a few really good metal records then. But, I think, they all fall short of Love by The Cult. Maybe not the loudest, but It managed to add a psychedelic tone to it's rock base. Love did it for me then, and still does it for me now.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 08:58:33 BDT
Tommy says:
Wasn´t that also called "Poodle Rock" ;-))

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 21:04:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2008 21:04:53 BDT
I think guns and roses fall into the "post-poodle/pre-grunge genre". hehe.
Def Leppard....definitely poodles. (they are on my ipod though...should i be ashamed?)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2008 06:45:08 BDT
Tommy says:
@I´ll get you Butler!"

"...should i be ashamed?) "

At least a little bit ;-))

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008 12:37:53 BDT
Sera69 says:
Yeah... hang your head in shame Butler!! lol!

Guess you have to define 'Heavy Rock' before commenting. Would Metallica not be worthy, or even Slayer? What about Springsteen and Tom Petty? Is Rock just of the poodle variety?

Either way, two of my most played of the 1980's were 'Appetite for Destruction' and Celtic Frosts' 'Into the Pandemonium' With hindsight, tho, i'd say best 80's >>Heavy Rock<< album was Dio's 'Holy Diver'

Pick tha bones outta that, guys! :o)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008 12:57:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2008 12:58:00 BDT
I am going to hang my head in shame just a little bit more and declare Powerslave by Iron Maiden as one of my fave rock albums from the eighties.
I also played 1984 by Van Halen, Moving Pictures by Rush, Pyromania by Def leppard, Escape and Frontiers by Journey extensively at this time.
My credibilty was redeemed by listening to The Clash and The Smiths as well, depending on what side of the fence you sit on.

I hope :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008 14:43:10 BDT
Good calls on Holy Diver and Powerslave. Just the best decade for rock music of every genre - but the decade i grew up in so i would say that. Couldn't name the best but from one end of the decade to t'other
Saxon - Wheels of Steel
Motorhead - no sleep til hammersmith
Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
'Tallica - Kill 'em all
Helloween - Keeper of the 14 keys (both of em!)
Tom Petty - Full moon Fever
King's X - Out of the Silent planet

I'll embarrass meself even more with Dokken - Under lock and Key (still like it!) and Cinderella - Night songs

i've given up! theres just too many....

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2008 21:06:19 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
I would have to go for Metallica's Lightning & Puppets albums as my Favs!
WASP's Headless Children is a very underrated album.
Judas Priest's Defenders Of The Faith, Motorhead's Ace Of Spades, Maiden's Killers/ Number Of The Beast, Marillion's Fugazi, Sabbath's Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules masterpieces are all really good hard rock/metal discs...

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2008 10:31:21 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
At the very least i think a hair shirt's in order. Soz, but IMO the 80s was pretty much the pits for rock esp all that US AOR stuff like Journey, Foreigner and Starship to Hair Metal to shredders like Yngwie Malmsteen. Mind you I have a soft spot for VH's 1984, also Love by The Cult and Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2008 21:07:01 BDT
Mr. W. Urwin says:
I would have to say Appetite for Descruction. Its over 20 years old and still sounds great, ok it wasn't the most original work, I think its obvious they'd been listening to Never Mind The Bollocks.... alot...but it still excites me.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2008 09:27:06 BDT
The 80's was explosion of Heavy Rock /Metal and is remebered by the following albums:ACDC- Back In Black Def Leppard-Pyromania
Judae Priest- Screaming For Vengeance Whitesnake- Come An' Get It Rainbow- Down To Earth

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2008 17:42:26 BDT
I agree with a lot of posts that point out that the 80s were not the best for rock, however the 80/81 did see some great hard rock albums. Motorhead defined the future of hard rock with Ace of Spades, but more importantly No Sleep 'till Hammersmith. AC/DCs Back in Black and Sabbath's Heaven and Hell were remarkable efforts considering where the bands had been. GnRs Appetite was excellent too, and I have a lot of albums I like but in reality only the 2 Motorhead albums can claim to be heavy rock, influential, quality and innovative.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 22:02:21 BDT
Scooby00 says:
A lot of good ones but nothing beats

Faith No More - From out of nowhere

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 10:45:41 BDT
Faith No More were good, altho id prob go wiv 'The Real Thing' rather than 'From Out Of No Where.

Both 'Ride' and 'Puppets' by metallica.
Helloween - Both 'Keeper' albums
Iron Maiden - Powerslave and Number Of The Beast

And cant forget Megadeth - 'Peace Sells'

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 11:54:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Oct 2008 19:59:08 BDT
Good Call on Screaming for Vengeance by Priest, I loved that album.
I also endorse your Wheels of Steel shout. Cheesy, but i played it to death....'specially 747.
Also WASP. Headless Children.....superb, ive got to dig that out and play it again!
I went to see WASP twice live, gotta love a band that dont take themselves too seriously.
You hav'nt lived till you've seen Blackie Lawless shooting fireworks out of his codpiece.

Anybody remember Giuffria? Their 1st album was another eighties classic.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 15:54:44 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Have to agree on WASP - saw them in 1989 at Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stoke On Trent
Fantastic gig, and some great albums - Headless Children , yes, but also Crimson Idol, and Last Command for it's state of the art production!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2008 00:25:09 BDT
gaterguts says:
FNM - Angel Dust
Iron Maiden - Killers
Van Halen - VH2
Whitesnake - Slide It In
Tesla - Great Radio Controversy
Gun - Swagger
Megadeth - Peace Sells ...
Scorpions - Blackout
The Cult - Sonic Temple
Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos
Saxon - Crusader
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
.....I could go on all night!!!! It was all good back then....even the crap stuff was good....as long as it was loud and had distorted guitars and you could bang your head along to the beat. God...I miss my hair!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2008 10:51:56 BDT
When I think of eighties 'heavy' rock I think of,Celtic Frost,Bathory,Napalm Death,Carcass,Bolt Thrower,Killing Joke,The Cult,Nirvana,Soundgarden and Mudhoney,oh and Ratt!

Posted on 23 Feb 2011 08:18:03 GMT
Post Soviet says:
80s heavy rock;
1.Beginning - British Steel, second close Number Of The Beast
2.Midperiod - Metallica with Lightning and Puppets
3.End - ....don't know....

Motorhead and AC/DC - wouldn't list them as typical 80s HM bands.

Posted on 26 Feb 2011 10:51:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Feb 2011 10:54:38 GMT
This is a tough one as a lot of the bands mentioned above I would classify as metal and not heavy rock.

I would say the best heavy rock album of the 80's would easily be appetite for destruction however it would be a close run thing with runners up being def leppards hysteria, motley crues dr feelgood and AC/DC's back in black.

Now, best 80's metal album, that's an even tougher choice. I would have to give it to number of the beast by iron maiden however very close runners up would be reign in blood by slayer, master of puppets or ride the lightning by metallica, peace sells by megadeth, heaven and hell by black sabbath, screaming for vengeance by judas priest, wheels of steel by saxon, images and words by dream theater, keeper of the seven keys I or II by helloween, operation mindcrime by queensryche and balls to the Wall by Accept.

Way to many classic albums from the 80's and I know I've missed tons off but the list would be ridiculously long lol.

Posted on 26 Feb 2011 11:06:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Feb 2011 11:07:57 GMT
the meister says:
Why not try Rock City Angels 80s classic young mans blues

Posted on 26 Feb 2011 21:12:12 GMT
Lesley says:
Check out Anvil's Metal On Metal. Then watch the dvd of Anvil! The Story Of Anvil. Awesome.

Posted on 27 Feb 2011 06:52:30 GMT
Tikka says:
GnR's Appetite for Destruction

Posted on 28 Feb 2011 00:29:48 GMT
Mr Blackwell says:
in no particular order:

heaven and hell: black sabbath
back in black: ac/dc
ride the lightning:metallica
moving pictures:rush
ready and willin:whitesnake
whats next?:frank marino/mahogany rush
somewhere in time:iron maiden
eliminater:zz top
escape:journey
women and children first:van halen

everyone a belter as they say!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (752 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  22 Sep 2008
Latest post:  22 Apr 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions