Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

The Rhythm Method

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Nov 2008 18:34:34 GMT
The recent discussion bass players got me thinking, what is the best bass and drums combination?

For me it is Chris Squire and Bill Bruford - especially on Yes's Heart of the Sunrise.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2008 15:10:58 GMT
Mad Earwig says:
For me it has to be Paul Wertico and Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group) or Geddy Lee with Neil Peart of Rush, but I am always impressed with the rhythm section in Pearl Jam circa Jack Irons on drums and earlier Tom Petty albums when Stan Lynch was in the band.

Posted on 7 Mar 2009 15:30:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2009 16:56:38 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Musicdirector and Mad Earwig. Agree with you with Squire/Bruford and Pearl Jam. I also would like to add
Bruford/Wetton King Crimson
Reni/Mani The Stone Roses

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2009 15:48:38 GMT
Martin says:
If we're talking rock, then it has to be Squire/Bruford, though Jones/Bonham, Entwistle/Moon and McCartney/Starr push them close.

Fusion-wise I'd go for the Ralphe Armstrong/Steve Smith combination that Jean-Luc Ponty used on his megawork, 'Enigmatic Ocean'. Still leaves me breathless after all these years.

Posted on 7 Mar 2009 16:00:19 GMT
A. Holland says:
That rhythm section in James Brown's JBs took some beating, they were always on the money. They had to be or JB himself would fine them for every bar they were out of time.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2009 18:03:31 GMT
D.M. has got it right! Bruford/Wetton or Bruford with anyone.

Posted on 7 Mar 2009 18:10:09 GMT
D. Reynolds says:
Holger Czukay/ Jaki Liebzeit (then)
Al Cisneros/ Chris Hakius (now)

Posted on 7 Mar 2009 18:47:26 GMT
The guys in Alter Bridge are both inventive players,producing loads of nice tuneful melodic runs while still providing an rocck solid anchor for the frontmen

Posted on 8 Mar 2009 01:08:57 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
Phil Rudd & Cliff Williams of AC/DC - not outstanding individually, but tight as hell together...

Posted on 8 Mar 2009 18:10:41 GMT
Hally Lou says:
Richie Hayward & Kenny Gradney of Little Feat - tight as a duck's ar#e & loose as a goose.

Posted on 8 Mar 2009 18:20:58 GMT
Hally Lou says:
Posted previous comment before I'd mentioned Al Jackson & Duck Dunn or Roger Hawkins & David Hood of Muscle Shoals.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2009 21:09:20 GMT
BOF says:
So right Anne and still laying it down today - if it all goes amok call the duck.
Best bones.
B.O.F.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2009 09:09:08 GMT
A. Holland says:
I'll second those....

Posted on 9 Mar 2009 19:53:14 GMT
Nugent_Dirt says:
James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin. Rocco Prestia and Dave Garibaldi in Tower of Power. Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson in Chic. Paul Jackson and Mike Clark of the Headhunters All tighter than the gnat's proverbial chuff and funkier than f***.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xb00f64d4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  14 Nov 2008
Latest post:  9 Mar 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions