Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Pink Fairies & Hawkwind Live

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Oct 2008 15:17:22 GMT
Liffy says:
Back in the early 70's was there a better gig to go to than when the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind toured together?
Great to see someone has found a recording of the Fairies from back then "Finland Freak Out" brings it all flooding back.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 20:44:58 GMT
If they had a fight who would win?
I saw a concert around 1975/6 with surprisingly Dr Feelgood supporting the Hawkwind.....it felt like the end of an era. Disappointingly neither Michael Moorcock, the naked dancer (Sonia?) or the phantasmagorical light show accompanied the Feelgoods...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 22:07:27 GMT
I first saw Hawkwind at the Isle of Wight Festival playing in a canvas tent. It was like a new dimension had been added to the Floyd's sound, Hawkwind gave it that whoomph,whoomph,whoomph....bit like hard trance, but improvised. Went on to see Hawkwind another fifty odd times over the years and am still a fan. Yep, saw 'em with the Fairies too, members often played with either band, a sign of real crazy drug fuelled times and character musicians. The only difference was that Hawkwind survived and are still an excellent live act, with the bonus that most of the output from a fourty year career hasn't gathered dust or become dated.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 22:19:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2008 01:57:07 GMT
hypergod says:
Stacia,KO'73. And was she ever a treat for a 15/16 year old in the front row at Watford Town Hall!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 22:49:16 GMT
Funny you should say that. I was both young and male then, but I think all that acid craziness had an effect on my hormones as I came out as a transsexual many years later, but back to Stacia. Hawkwind did a tour in '73 called an 'Evening of Brain Damage' and they played the Reading Top Rank, Moorcock performed the narrative stuff and the manager of the Rank threatened to stop the gig during Sonic Attack because he thought the band were trying to destroy the place. Stacia was as naked and sexual as ever, throwing herself around all over the stage, plus I was treated to two lipstick lesbians cavorting around on the floor. A most wonderful night and the subject of many fantasies for months to come.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 22:29:43 GMT
FDJ says:
I saw the Pink Fairies at the Red Lion Leytonstone in the70's.It was one of the strangest gigs ihave ever been to.Everyone was either stoned or drunk and the band were both.Halfway through the gig a speaker fell on top of me,but i hardly noticed as i was having such a good time.

Posted on 19 May 2012 17:42:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 19 May 2012 17:43:01 BDT]

Posted on 20 May 2012 12:59:49 BDT
easytiger says:
Saw the Fairies in1975 (I reckon) at Newcastle Mayfair and they were rockin'. They had a guitarist called Martin Stone-where he came from or went to is beyond me but he really lit them up. Saw them again in late 80s in a smallish venue in Hampton Court. IT was the by now very bald Larry Wallis, D Sanderson and Twink line-up. They didn't say much at all and went through 'Kings of Oblivion and not much else.

Posted on 22 May 2012 03:37:15 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
I remember booking the Hawkpinks in the early 70s at Swindon College now in the
throws of demolition.....had so many good times there.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 07:46:27 BDT
Or so you were told, Wharf ;-)

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 13:54:21 BDT
In reply to Liffy...almost anything , I should have thought...except Yes live, of course.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 17:28:17 BDT
Grimmy says:
Martin Stone from Mod band The Action, to Savoy Brown, to Mighty Baby and beyond .. a brilliant guitarist

Heard to best effect on Mighty Baby's A Blanket in my Muesli

http://www.deezer.com/en/music/track/4241851

You'll get 30 seconds then have to sign up ( free) to hear the full track

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 15:08:09 BDT
easytiger says:
Thanks Grimmy. Somebody somewhere always knows.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 15:20:47 BDT
Hi, I was reading your experience at a Hawkwind gig, did the Sonic Attack actually work? I believe it was supposed to make one lose control of their bodily functions/epilepsy etc...I bloody missed it being too young!! I have a few LPs by them and the Pink Fairies/Deviants. Being a huge T.Rex freak, I believe Steve Peregrin Took had a hand in the Fairies...Twink, what a guy!! Rock On, Colin

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 15:22:43 BDT
Hi ya, Did the speaker do any lasting damage? It appears not cos you can still recall the event..Pity I was too young!! Great albums, has to be said...Rock On Colin

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 15:25:54 BDT
Hi Wharf, Typical, all the great venues are almost extinct, Loved to have seen those two bands, but I was too young...The Rainbow in Finsbury Park is now a Jesus Hall, and most of the 2nd hand shops are long gone. Rock On Colin

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 15:28:33 BDT
Got that song on my Glastonbury Fayre album...can you recommend an album by them? I have an Action comp cd, which is excellent...Rock On Colin

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 15:29:02 BDT
easytiger says:
Sonic Attack was done with a 'Strobe Light' which was originally used along side water cannon and tear-gas to control riots. Its use in public was soon banned as one of the major side effects was erm fits in epileptics.

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 16:05:58 BDT
Grimmy says:
Both their albums are a little uneven, but have some magic stuff nonetheless

I'm quite fond of A Jug of Love

but Mighty Baby has the better cover. There is also a live from 1971 CD which I have not heard.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  30 Oct 2008
Latest post:  7 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions