Any good one's out there?
Here's 5 x Metal ones;
Lemmy: Stay Clean
Jason Newsted: Crash Course In Brain Surgery
Steve Harris: Number Of The Beast
Rob Trujillo's at the start of For Whom The Bell Tolls LIVE
Cliff Burton: Orion
Your reply to Adam Jackson's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 20:18:26 BDT
Andy frazer's solo on 'mr big' from the 1971 'free live' album takes some beating.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 20:33:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2008 20:34:15 BDT
Starfighter says:
"The Fish" by Chris Squire, from "Fragile" by Yes. This is the multitracked, shorter version; there's also a live, longer version on "Yessongs" and it's still in their live set to this day.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 21:07:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2008 21:07:43 BDT
SMc says:
I would only part agree with Paul Macdonald. Yes, the solo by Andy Frazer on "Mr. Big" (from 1970's studio album "Fire And Water) is THE best bass solo, but the live version is not a patch on the studio version.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 23:37:14 BDT
Number Six says:
Raging obscurity no:8726c:
Scritti Politti - Rock-A-Boy-Blue, played by a chap called Mgotse, corking double bass playing

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2008 11:18:49 BDT
N. petrovic says:
Rancid's matt freeman on maxwell murders takeome beating.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2008 19:53:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Oct 2008 19:57:28 GMT
hypergod says:
Jack Bruce on 'Apostrophe' by Zappa. There's also a truly lovely bass AND guitar solo on Kevin Ayers' 'Whatevershebringswesing', both played by Mike Oldfield.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 14:31:54 GMT
I don't normally like 'em, but Andy Fraser's bass solo on 'Mr. Big' is pretty awesome, as others have said. I would also choose Lemmy on Hawkwind's 'Time We Left (This World Today)' from 'Doremi Fasol Latido' and Motorhead's 'Keep Us On The Road' from the debut L.P. Joe Bouchard of B.O.C. offers a pretty nifty short solo on 'The Red & The Black' from 1973's 'Tyranny & Mutation' album. If you want to stretch the point you could say John Entwistle solo'd a helluva lot (and brilliantly) on 'Live At Leeds' but always within the parameters of the songs.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 21:52:57 GMT
Ben Faulkner says:
only one man for the job, John Entwistle of The Who

his live bass is everything you could ever want from a bass player, he got bass player of the millenium for a reason........

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 21:58:50 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
Have to say I cant stand The Who but I saw a YouTube video of John Entwistle soloing, I think at the Albert Hall - SERIOUSLY good! Also on Youtube I saw the Rancid solo that is held up so high - again really, really good!
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) - has he ever done a full on LIVE solo??

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2008 11:41:41 GMT
Van Dal says:
Bert Ruiter on Answers Questions Questions Answers from Focus 3

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2008 10:57:37 GMT
Mac says:
My favourite solo has always been Gerry McEvoy on Bullfrog Blues. Bass player for the incomparable Rory Gallagher.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2008 19:16:26 GMT
Got to be Entwhistle...a Bass Guitarist not a Bass player...his solo on Amazing Journey on Live at Leeds ...what a Man.........
Another Bass Guitarist Jah Wobble for his playing on Invaders of the Heart is breathtaking.......

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2008 19:51:58 GMT
Martin says:
Not another boring bass thing - haven't we already exhausted all of this in the 'Best Bass Player' thread?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2008 08:10:19 GMT
i love the intro to Drive by Incubus on their live DVD, Alive at Red Rocks. Have a look on youtube, don't think it'll win any awards.. but its still good.

Posted on 27 Feb 2009 22:56:48 GMT
zargb5 says:
Please list some bass players who are actually proficient in the instrument eg- Jaco Pastorius, Gary Willis, Jeff Berlin, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, John Patitucci, Steve Swallow etc etc etc

Posted on 27 Feb 2009 23:02:05 GMT
BOF says:
What about Rob Wasserman?
Best bones.
B.O.F.

Posted on 27 Feb 2009 23:12:42 GMT
D. Reynolds says:
Joey DeMaio of Manowar! He plays the William Tell Overture on Bass, completely straight faced. Also his solo Black Arrows, introduced by the proclamation "Let each note I now play be a black arrow of death sent straight to the heart of all those who play false metal....aaaaaarrrrgghhhh" followed by a flurry of four stringed nonsensical activity. A comic delight that keeps on giving.

On a more serious note, any of Lemmy's get the DR vote.

Posted on 27 Feb 2009 23:24:11 GMT
Danny tHOMSON from Pentangle for just about everthing he ever [played

Posted on 28 Feb 2009 00:56:49 GMT
Stu Hamm, the best bass solo I've ever seen!!!

Posted on 18 Mar 2009 10:24:55 GMT
Andy Funnell says:
If this doesn't revive this thread ,nothing will. Best bass solo I've ever seen is by a girl(no, I don't mean a woman.) Check out Tal Wilkenfeld playing with Jeff Beck at 2007 crossroads festival.WOW!

Posted on 18 Mar 2009 10:24:57 GMT
Andy Funnell says:
If this doesn't revive this thread ,nothing will. Best bass solo I've ever seen is by a girl(no, I don't mean a woman.) Check out Tal Wilkenfeld playing with Jeff Beck at 2007 crossroads festival.WOW!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2009 11:02:13 GMT
bass solos, not solo's and ones, not one's! The apostrophe is posessive as in Rob Trujillo's

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2009 11:04:58 GMT
Now we're talking... but have a listen to Arild Andersen on Hyperborean.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (739 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  18 Oct 2008
Latest post:  18 Mar 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions