Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Dec 2013 22:18:56 GMT
AJ says:
Any fans? Been checking them out and quite impressed - bit like a metal version of Meatloaf

Posted on 11 Dec 2013 23:00:43 GMT
I only ever bought Hall of the Mountain King, absolute classic, title track and The Price you Pay (best riff ever) are the standout tracks on an album full of giants. Everything before and after never quite lived up to that album but they still made some good stuff. Saw them live in the late 80,s and the singer was even better live than in the studio reaching those high notes no problem.
I think their brilliant guitarist was killed in the early 90,s and nothing was the same after that.

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 00:03:22 GMT
T. Franklin says:
A band I'd like to give a listen to, but not found the time yet
Your reply to T. Franklin's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 07:09:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2013 07:15:05 GMT
Adam...hello buddy......I'm a huge fan of this band and have every single album ever brought out. Along with Dream Theater, they were one of the pivotal bands' who had a defining hand in sculpting what we know as today's progressive metal. The main driving force behind the Savatage sound is founding member Jon Oliva, who kept the band going for a staggering 24 years before calling it a day in 2002. There are two eras with Savatage....the first is when Jon Oliva was the vocalist and the second is with Zak Stevens. Personally, I like both vocalists for what they have achieved in their own right, but Stevens to me has more of a diverse range that I like in a vocalist. Just check his version of the song Sirens to see what I'm talking about. I believe they hit their creative peak when Stevens was their vocalist and the 4 album tenure (check some of their concept albums out with him - The wake of Magellan and Dead winter Dead) he had with Savatage increased their profile considerably. I saw them in 2001 on the Poets and Madmen tour and they left an indelible impression on me, but seeing Hall of the Mountain King played live was just the icing on the cake. This song is what Smoke on the Water is to Deep Purple.

As mentioned, Savatage have disbanded and the various band member's have moved on - here are a few recommendations from my side. Most of Oliva's time nowadays is taken up with the juggernaught of a touring band called Trans Siberian Orchestra, who are very different from Savatage's sound with more of a classical edge. Doctor Butcher was also another band of Oliva's that was a side project when things were quiet with Savatage. They brought out two albums, which were okay but certainly not his best creation by a long shot. After the demise of Savatage he formed Jon Oliva's Pain, who musically were less progressive and more power metal in their approach. This year, he brought out a solo album under the moniker of Oliva - sound wise this sounded like a load of unused material left over from those early Savatage days. Zak Stevens moved on and formed Circle II Circle and I have been a huge follower of his career since he departed Savatage. He too has dabbled in other projects like his another band called Machines of Grace (love this band name!) who I can highly recommend, albeit with a slight rock feel to the proceedings. Drummer Jeff Plate is now drumming for Metal Church and Guitarist Chis Cafferey (I think he replaced original guitarist Criss Olivia after his tragic death) is playing with T.S.O. as well as doing his solo stuff under his own name, with a few memorable albums under his belt. Enjoy!

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 18:28:55 GMT
AJ says:
Thanks for the info, transcendence
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (784 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  11 Dec 2013
Latest post:  22 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions