Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Which bands do you think most resemble or even outdo Spinal Tap?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Oct 2008 14:42:08 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Somebody left a copy of an album called Nostradamus by Judas Priest near my desk. As it was there I thought I'd bung it in the D drive of my PC here at work and give it a spin. The track list includes such titles as 'Pestilence and plague' , 'The 4 horsemen' and 'Shadows in the flame' and I though by gum if this isn the Tap for real..aye! With their studded copdieces, leather kecks and doominess are JP and ST one and the same?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 15:24:14 BDT
A. Mee says:
I could never tell if Spinal Tap were a parody of Iron Maiden or if Iron Maiden were a parody of Spinal Tap.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 20:32:15 BDT
Number Six says:
Engaging anorak mode: Apparently the Taps went on tour with Saxon for 'research' purposes, so there's another bunch of cliched metalheads to add to the equation!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 21:06:29 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Nov 2011 14:43:52 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 17:08:52 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
I first came across Saxon on some TV reality show with Harvey Goldsmith, the gist of which is HG trying to get failing businesses and the like back on track. The Saxon episode was particularly amusing with this bunch of 50 something second divsion metal hasbeens playing to a crowd of young folk thinking the surprise gig was going to be The Cure. I do recall the lead 'singer' being a prize c**k.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 17:54:04 BDT
Cartimand says:
Anyone else remember Hawkwind's "Atomhenge" tour? The Tap would have been proud of those stage props!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 21:42:29 BDT
Number Six says:
Harry Shearer as Derek Smalls related how he copied the Saxon bass player's predeliction for playing lots of open strings in order to give it plenty of pumping fist in the air schtick. Having once witnessed the band live in Dunstable (oh, the shame...) I can testify to this particular practice!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2008 09:14:32 BDT
Sera69 says:
Hey! Leave Saxon alone! Living legends, i tell thee... And that HG TV moment is comedy gold!

But yes, their early career was Tap thru and thru.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2008 21:50:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Oct 2008 21:51:20 BDT
W.A.S.P. have a few choice lyrics about "putting barrels in holsters" etc.
Not only that, but Blackie Lawless also shoots fireworks out of his studded codpiece.
Totally 'Tapesque'.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2008 01:51:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Oct 2008 01:53:46 BDT
J ON says:
Errr.....Status Quo/ The Troggs (60's bit)
Led Zep (and Peter Grant as the manager)
The Who
yes,Judas Priest
AC/DC and Def Leppard (basically anybody produced by 'Mutt' Lange,except Shania)
Iron Maiden obviously
err... Ozzy and Sabbath
Deep Purple
and Ugh! 'Kiss' Ugh! Ugh! Horrible rubbish....

In the 'outdo' stakes,Motley Crue,WASP,Guns & Ammo (sorry 'Roses'), Metallica, and every single US Heavy Metal band that followed and totally missed the irony/humour ,and thought that ST was a training video....

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 22:32:06 GMT
Tap draws on a lot of stuff, not one independant band as is so often stated. It also depends where your taste in rock lies and in what decade your musical taste blossomed, it's often from that we relate Tap to our favourites. I first got in to rock when Hawkwind emerged on the scene, real crazy acid stuff that chewed you up and spat you out and I would highly recommend reading the biographies/autobiographies on Hawkwind/Lemmy's account of his time with Hawkwind, these are hilarious memories from a time when the world of rock was like a lunatic asylum, pure Tap.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2008 16:27:56 GMT
I heard that Sabbath had originally planned the Stonehenge thing before Tap did, but since they hadn't performed it until after the Spinal Tap movie came out, it was like embarrassing self-parody!

Tap were definitely supposed to be Derek Smalls as Lemmy, and Nigel Tufnel as Jeff Beck, i'm not sure who David St. Hubbins was meant to be however, apart from a parody of several rock frontmen such as Joe Elliott, Steven Tyler and Eddie Van Halen (although i'm probably wrong as only one of those is British and the Spinal Tap characters are generally caricatures of British musicians).

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2008 23:29:11 GMT
pikeyboy says:
I don't know, nut one of my favourite rock 'n' roll stories involves the Gallagher Bros going to watch The Tap live. I forget the names of the actors who portrayed Nigel Tufnell & co., but they opened the evening in their other finger-in-the-ear folksome guise of A Mighty Wind, throughout which Liam constantly heckled them to "get off, you're sh*t! Bring on Spinal Tap!" Then, when big bro, Noel, had a word with "our kid", to point out that they were the same actors, just playing a different role, Liam just wouldn't have it: "Fook off! Yer lying bastard! When are the fooking Tap coming on?" Apparently, in the end, Noel had to give up...
As for a modern-day Tap, I sometimes feel that Muse tend to veer that way....

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 13:21:25 GMT
S. Driscoll says:
Two moments on live CDs always bring Tap to my mind:
Megadeth - Dave Mustaine (or should that be David Brent) "Youv'e been great, we've been Megadeth".
Thin Lizzy - Phil Lynott to girls in audience "Hands up if you've got any Irish in you. (pause) Do you want a little more Irish in you?"
Derek Smalls a.k.a. Mr Burns, of course. I have to admit when I first found out they were American I was a little taken aback!
See also, The Comic Strip's classic "Bad News Tour" and sequel, for a rather less polished, though still entertaining follow on from Tap.
Good story pikeyboy!

Posted on 13 May 2009 13:46:44 BDT
Hawkwind/Black Sabbath/Jethro Tull/Motorhead/Zappa et al mix them up in a blender and you get Spinal Tap.

Posted on 13 May 2009 14:38:12 BDT
D. Livett says:
S. Driscoll - You are the man! Remembering the bad news comic strip shows, they were funny in that awkward "they really don't have a clue, do they?" style. Just like tap, but with british actors.

Posted on 13 May 2009 20:52:20 BDT
Leftin says:
Metallica. Kill 'em All. Proto 'Tap.

Posted on 15 May 2009 18:58:40 BDT
Charlieost says:
Without a moment of doubt I nominate The Rolling Stones, a parody of a parody of a parody etc. No style and no substance. The Rolling Stones are Spinal Tap.

Posted on 18 May 2009 11:03:27 BDT
That can only be Kajagoogoo, like a new romantic version of Bon Jovi.

Posted on 24 May 2009 23:31:46 BDT
zargb5 says:
After seeing spinal tap, any rock band that ever existed or will exist are an embodiment of them.

Posted on 25 May 2009 16:51:38 BDT
The Stonehenge thing did come from Black Sabbath, If I remember correctly they had a Stonehenge prop built for their Reading Festival slot in 83 which was so large they weren't able to fit it into any of the Indoor Venues on the tour.

Posted on 26 May 2009 12:07:40 BDT
re. Bad News
best bit is when he,s playing a bit of Stairway To Heaven,and says "I could play this when i was 17.Jimmy Page didn't even write it til he was 21"
priceless

Posted on 26 May 2009 17:48:12 BDT
A. Holland says:
Metallica definitely. The rockumentary they did about recording their album was pure 'Tap. It was just as funny.

Posted on 27 May 2009 11:34:13 BDT
Prize goes to Paul Weller and Oasis. Two pretentious prog-researchers from back in the day of Sgt. Pepper and Ogdens Nut Gone Flake.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2009 12:32:54 BDT
Martin says:
The most absurd and totally preposterous so-called rock bands of all time have to be Bon Jovi and Guns'n'Roses, so I would say those two. Truth, as they say, is stranger than fiction.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (745 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  8 Oct 2008
Latest post:  27 May 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions