Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Is British Music Dying?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 55 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 14:47:36 BDT
Deano says:
I agree with alot of your points but and British music as a whole isnt in the doldrums.

I am, as somebody said before an "indie boy with a guitar" and from my perspective things are very dire.

There is not one indie rock/pop/guitar band that I can truly say Im a fan of. I feel like its 1992 and everything has died after the "madchester" boom.....there really is nothing of interest. Unsigned bands.....well there is tons of them and some of them are quite good too, sadly they cannot get deals as the music industry has managed to totally pidgeon hole the indie/alternative brand and make COLDPLAY!!!! (these guys really stick in my gut) their fave band who then in turn spearhead the indie stereotype percieved by these ponytailed A & R men, and if you dont fit into their interpretation of "indie" then forget a deal......................sorry have I started ranting????....Im sorry then, but you get my point...........Check out the group STATEDANCER who are unsigned but have just released their 1st album on "itunes".......you never know you might like it....xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 16:27:16 BDT
No. There is a lot of life in british music. Unfortunately there is a lot of rubbish served up and remorselessly plugged by the likes of channel 4.why does that bloke from Muse make that wheezy noise? I dont care if you `as got your `ands on da steerin` wheel and is makin` eyes at my missus-while washin da dishes. I don`t wanna be da golden boy like you. What are the Kaiser Chiefs for? the Arctic Monkeys second album was crap. there you go, someone finally said what everyone has been thinking. Portishead ,Interpol and the mighty Exploited stand out for me, are they british? My mate Angel Omega(what a toss name)is good.I don`t know the names of any dodgy bands from liverpool with a following of 25 groupies and a manager who is going to turn them into `the next beatles`.unfortunately it`s this sort of rubbish that gets waived about.Cube were a prime example-turned up to the gig in a limo,walked in through the front door, played 20 minutes of knobtoss then sauntered back out the front door into waiting limo without looking at anyone? lucky i didn`t travel far for that one.i hope the album did really bad.there is some good stuff out there although most of it is American.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 18:32:14 BDT
pikeyboy says:
Shack and The Coral maintain the linkage to great Scouse music of the past. However, in my view, Britain today can boast the greatest male and female singer-songwriters for decades: I refer, of course, to Richard Hawley and Amy Winehouse. There will always be dross around (Kooks, Feeling, Coldplay, blah-di-blah), as there was in every decade, the trouble today is that good music is kept out of the mainstream on the whole, but nobody cared for Nick Drake when he was around, so in a very real sense he'll always be around for successive generations to rediscover, and he among many others remains one of the reasons why British music will always be appreciated around the globe.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 20:28:04 BDT
Number Six says:
Right on, Amplified Man. As a nation we remain both a hotbed of new musical ideas and innovations, and we're also one of the most open-minded audiences on the planet.
Guys who are playing it on the big scale seem to be the best example of British music for me at the mo'.Try the likes of Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, Pure Reason Revolution, Pineapple Thief, Engineers, Blackfield, not everyone's cuppa by any means but at the very least they're playing with real genuine human FEELING! (I can't accept Muse in the aforementioned exalted company, for me their bombastic histrionics are simply boring.)

Indie should now be acknowledged as an abbrev of Indistinguishable, they all seem to be graduates of the Look-at-Me business school of music. Talk about dumbing down! As Nugent Dirt so eloquently expressed it, cruddy second rate pap peddlars such as Oasis (why did we have to get stuck with them instead of The Stone Roses, for ****s sake!?!?!?!) and IMHO Blur and all the rest of the loathsome Britpop upstarts have an awful lot to answer for!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 21:49:08 BDT
I think you've all given good arguments for and against my initial post. And having read all of them the over-riding theme seems to be that if you look under the mainstream you will still find plenty of music to enjoy from these beautiful isles. My argument was never really against this point of view as I listen to many British bands (inc. Shack, M.I.A, My Latest Novel, SFA etc) who I certainly would not include in the mainstream.

However, in the age of YouTube and MySpace (and Nirvana having seeminley killed it off) I understand that the days of the superstar are over. I for one, am sad at this turn of events. Past generations could look at people like Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles and feel assured that these people will have a place in history, we only have the likes of Coldplay and Oasis. And you may argue that they don't offer a true representation of this generation, but that won't stop them being the only artist remembered in the future days of TOTP2 and the like.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this and I should just enjoy what I listen to, but does'nt anyone else feel the same as me?. Does'nt anyone else miss the days of TOTP, when artist like David Bowie and The Smiths gave seminal performances?.

P.S. I just saw Coldplay on Later.... last night. Was that the dullist performance on British Television history?.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 13:26:17 BDT
G. Cooper says:
British music isnt dying, but it seems like it is damn well trying to be.
Indy boys with guitars were mentioned, I think that genre is more destructive than its getting credit for, Im sure we all agree that the kooks can go away and there cant be too many repectable coldplay fans left, but whatabout the the ting tings, the view, the 'insert any word heres', as mentioned in the original post the quality rarely rises above mediocre.
I think the boundry pushing mentality we once prided ourselves on has become a sad excuse for originality when band x add another keyboard to their second album, consistently, the most exiting new bands are just...'like soandso but....' Its dull and more than a little backwards.

Someone mentioned Scottish music, I'm tempted to agree about the need to push a little harder, but then I hear Glasvegas again and want to cry...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 18:04:32 BDT
Cartimand says:
Adam wrote: "there are no 'new' British hard rock/metal bands that impress me"

Dare I suggest you try "Distance to Fault"? Their debut album is out very soon now and their sound is quite reminiscent of Maiden with perhaps just a hint of Motorhead and Slipknot. There's life in the metal genre yet!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 19:25:51 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
This topic has thrown up many responses that I can relate to as on leaving school back in 68' we had the same questions to ask (its nothing new).
Being an old fart I only get to hear the mainstream music of today and based on that its easy to understand why the question was asked, however in all probability the likes of U2, Coldplay etc are no worse than we had to put up with i.e bubblegum music, Tom Jones, Pickettywich and the bloody Archies, you must of heard of 'sugar sugar'.
Fortunately we also had what was known as the 'underground' circuit which spawned a whole host of bands playing anything from blues to rock or folk to jazz for example, plus any combination of these as a fusion. I gather there is a similar scenario at present, if so that is where you are likely to find the music that will stand the test of time, the new non mainstream music may be different to that of my youth, but the principles may well be the same.
In reading through the responses not one of the bands suggested as being worth a listen have been brought to my attention before, but then again how many of todays music fans would have heard of Audience, Beggars Opera or Steamhammer.
Unfortunately its a fact of life that music that has to be listened to will not be accepted into the mainstream as all the radio wants is material that can be used as background music, while the record companies are after a quick kill, if you can hum the tune after one listen and sing the chorus on the second they're happy.
If indeed there is a new underground scene on the go take my advice, make the most of it as in general your local clubs don't pay well, and regardless of how committed the bands are to their music, they will have to sell out eventually to put some bread on the table.

Good luck to you on your musical ventures.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2008 00:12:20 BDT
Here's a few reasons why I think British music is still alive and well: mainstream or not.

Portishead (still going strong!)
Mogwai ("post rock")
Voice of the Seven Woods (innovative & experimental folk)
Laura Marling (pop)
James Blackshaw (12 string guitarist)
Burial (electronic/dubstep)
Boxcutter (experimental electronic)
Roisin Murphy (pop)
Luke Vibert (electronic)
Atavist (extreme doom/metal)
Boards of Canada (mellow electronic)
Cinematic Orchestra (soul/jazz)
Skull Disco (electronic/dubstep)
Roots Manuva (hip hop)
Electric Wizard (doom/metal)
Pram (experimental pop)
Orange Goblin (metal)

The list could go on! I urge everyone to contribute a couple more to the list and maybe check out a few you don't know.
Considering Britain is such a small area compared to America/Australia/Germany/France etc. I think we do pretty well for ourselves.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2008 16:59:19 BDT
Smokin-Buck says:
I never listen to the radio because they always play the commercial rubbish. The only way I get the hear new music is visiting my local record shop, or dredging thru myspace/youtube. I say record shop as they still sell vinyl (that is all I buy anyway, CDs are bad), but they are an indie label too (dance/electronic & guitar), so you do get a good cross of styles & imports. A small shop, they know you & your music tastes as well as knowing most of the records they stock, and every visit I get recommendations to listen to this & that. I must admit most of the LPs I have recently purchased have been imports, but there have been a few gemms from the English too. I have noticed it is becomming harder to find something unique though.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2008 20:22:11 BDT
British music isn't dying - it's already dead.

Overheard the other month: "I haven't heard Radio 1 for weeks now - I don't know what music's good now"

Says it all doesn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2008 22:41:52 BDT
FDJ says:
With bands like Porcupine Tree,The Answer,Muse.Blues guitarists like Aynsley Lister,Oli Brown and Matt Schofield.I think we can say British music is alive and kicking.You just have to delve a little deeper to find it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2008 00:30:24 BDT
Simon F. says:
It depends on how hard you want your rock to be Adam. If you are looking for total brutality may I suggest checking out some Anaal Nathrakh. Their debut album "The Codex Necro" is as good as any grindcore put out by Relapse Records, and will leave you wondering just how two blokes can make so much noise...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2008 04:43:21 BDT
Noel Jealous says:
I agree with Mr Read's post: Radio one is to be avoided.
I listen to British bands Threshold and The Cardiacs.
Classic FM is the only music radio station I can stomach.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2009 22:45:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Mar 2009 09:12:25 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Butler, just dug out this old discussion. Lots of gentlemanly conduct in this one. Everyone seems to be playing by the Queensbury's however did I detect you having a little swipe at U2?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2009 22:59:51 GMT
Oh come on, since when was Radio 1 representative of the state of British music???????????????

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2009 15:13:38 BDT
jaimes moran says:
no /fall out boy/ my chemical romance/kings of lion/black eyed peas/and /dizzy rascal

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2009 16:41:18 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Agree with you re the electronica acts and Manuva but havent heard the others. They've all been around a bit but recent stuff from Squarepusher, Herbaliser, Nightmares on Wax, Dreadzone and Prodigy shows not everything coming out of Blighty is sh*t.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2009 18:29:27 BDT
Mark Kibble says:
I've checked out a few bands since posting last october, Porcupine Tree are well worth a listen, Pure Reason Revolution are good as well while for the proggier sounds why not try Frost.

Still searching so more may follow at some point.

Posted on 5 Feb 2011 13:25:37 GMT
I'm 12 and I've got a rock band in Essex. We have 3 songs on youtube (prayingforwhoband) so this proves British rock is not dying!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2011 14:00:54 GMT
Good for you, and keep at it.

(Does your Mum know that you post in her name!!?)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2011 14:38:02 GMT
Dizzee Rascal?....stop it.

Posted on 5 Feb 2011 14:46:03 GMT
Please don't anyone mention Mr Rascal again....its just Joyrider music with a bit more nous.
Don't forget that as time goes on its harder to be original...its probably fair to say that most/all of the best music has already happened.
But all is not lost...most of us wait expectedly for the next big thing and/or something from our generation...understandable but very limiting.
Anyone bored with the current state of music is not really looking in the right place. If you have enough bottle to tell your friends, try a bit of Classical music to put things in perspective.

Posted on 6 Feb 2011 07:47:12 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
When I first started to take a real interest in music in 1970 most of what I listened to was British with the exception of Hendrix and The Doors. 80 to 89 was a dull decade for me but then I switched to American music when the 'Seattle' bands emerged in the early 90s. Most music I listen to these days is American but Britsh music is alive and kicking and definately not dying. Porcupine Tree, Mogwai, Jah Wobble and Ian Boddy. Just four examples imo confirming that British music is still world class.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2011 09:54:35 GMT
El Grande says:
Have you tried listening to The Answer, Voodoo Six or Logan? How about The Union? Let`s face it, traditional heavy rock/metal is all but dead as far as mass sales go, but there`s a seriously good underground of bands such as the aforementioned, you just have to dig deep to find them?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (743 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  25 Sep 2008
Latest post:  2 Mar 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions