Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Deep Purple better than Led Zeppelin ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-373 of 373 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 17:17:58 BDT
Brass Neck says:
They perked things up a little but they didn't have any albums out so it was mostly unfamiliar stuff, the sound was so-so for everyone except Zep and they followed on from Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Southside Johnny & The Asbury Dukes and .... dear God, Chas & bloody Dave! Gertcha indeed!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 17:24:50 BDT
Brass Neck says:
You don't have to fit in with anybody ... just don't get your hopes up of a new rock dawning. Listen to what you like, go see the dinosaurs while they still tour without zimmer frames and with at least one original member in the band (seen Thin Lizzy and Molly Hatchet recently, thought about Skynyrd but two or three locations do not a tour make - when they come back in the Autumn it's just London and Manchester!), pick up on the relatively few new bands that adopt the rawk style (quite like Rival Sons) and enjoy yourself. Doesn't hurt to cock an ear to other genres too, God knows I was all classic rock in my youth but I also love americana, reggae, funk, soul, etc, but you don't have to go all out on the pop tarts like Perry and Gaga!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 18:03:16 BDT
chris says:
hahahha yeah ive seen Lynyrd Skynyrd play live once they can still rock but its not the same without Ronnie Van Zant allen collins Steve Gaines and cassie gaines so sad to see but at least they still want to play the hits and yeah Reggae and soul and funk are ok but as for Katy Perry and GA Ga i think i will avoid them like the plague LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 18:03:16 BDT
chris says:
hahahha yeah ive seen Lynyrd Skynyrd play live once they can still rock but its not the same without Ronnie Van Zant allen collins Steve Gaines and cassie gaines so sad to see but at least they still want to play the hits and yeah Reggae and soul and funk are ok but as for Katy Perry and GA Ga i think i will avoid them like the plague LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 18:14:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2012 18:18:46 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Should I mention that I saw Skynyrd at Sheffield City Hall in 76/77. Awesome gig. There are actually pretty ropey bootlegs of that gig and more unusually the sound-check on t'interweb. Never mind without RVZ and Steve & Cassie, the rest have been dying off at an alarming rate (never ones to watch their booze/coke intake nor avoid a fight or a car wreck) - RIP Allen Collins, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkeson and some of the more recent crew too. Do you have Free Bird/Tribute Tour [DVD] - brilliant film of their Knebworth 76 triumph and the reunion film shows just how good a guitarist Ed King was/is adding so much subtlety to the blues rock licks of Collins and Rossington. Well worth a punt and if the closing scenes of Free Bird where the camera goes on to the fated plane at the end don't raise a tear ... you've got a heart of ice!

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 18:33:31 BDT
FDJ says:
Christina -There is still great rock music out there you just have to dig a bit deeper,i recently saw Rival Sons supporting Black Stone Cherry and both bands were superb! Alter Bridge are another fantastic band, especially live.The stoner scene started by Kyuss and the like, a few years ago, has thrown up some really interesting bands who are worth investigating
Got be better than Lady GaGa innit!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 18:36:47 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Not to forget Pig Iron - Blues+Power=Destiny and The Paths of Glory... Lead But to the Grave are both great as are Gentleman's Pistols - At Her Majesty's Pleasure and Gentleman's Pistols

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 18:47:21 BDT
britbike says:
Purple also made the best live album ever with no overdubbing and no frills - raw and as it was played on the nights the recordings were made.
love both bands but Purple will always have the edge or was that u2?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 19:27:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2012 19:28:03 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
christina, I don't get your comments on MTV; VH1 etc. the catchment age for these channels is around 14. Mainly for kids who are too young to go to gigs. While looking through the listings I can see MTV Rocks; Kerrang & Scuzz ALL rock based channels plus you have the internet with thousands of U.S. rock based music channels.
What more do you want?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 19:27:41 BDT
chris says:
yeah ive got that freebird film on DVD the band members of Lynyrd Skynyrd were such great people its a shame they had to go out the way they did i think Gary Rossingtons and the other guitarist are the last 2 members still alive so the lynyrd skynyrd of today is more of a tribute band but they do put on a very good show and they are great people 2

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 19:30:06 BDT
chris says:
yeah FDJ there are some good rock acts aroud today but im just getting fed up seeing stuck up young teenagers acting like Justin Bieber and Lady Ga Ga are the Beatles LOL plus i thought we are meant to be in a recession were do these kids get the cash to go around dressed like pop stars?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 19:32:44 BDT
chris says:
yeah MC Williams i know there are some channels just for rock but they never play the classics lets take scuzz as an example most of the stuff they play is death metal / thrash metal / emo metal whatever that is i dont see them playing any metallica megadeth sabbath pantera orozzy osbourne its like they act as if these bands never existed lol

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 19:40:10 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
As I said, you have the internet no shortage there, if you look around. Personally I would be fed up if they played the bands you mentioned, those juggernaught mainstream commercial bands always got the limelight. There were many smaller, far better bands that never got/get a play.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 20:56:42 BDT
chris says:
yeah but MC i like the mainstream big name rock bands i know there were also good small name bands about but they just couldnt write songs like Metallica /Deep Purple /Led Zeppelin /Guns N roses /Pantera or even Avenged Sevenfold they are the most up to date Metal band i like but even they rarely get any air time but did you notice that at the olympics closing ceremony most of the bands there were old bands like the spice girls the pet shop boys the who Queen george michael etc just proves my point that bands today whether they are rock pop metal rap hip hop funk soul etc just arnt as good as the bands from the 60,s to the 90,s and i blame people like Simon Cowell and other music moguls because they just produce the same garbage and ram it down out throats LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 21:10:37 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Are you forgetting the mighty, the all-conquering rock phenomenon that is ...... ONE DIRECTION? How much newer do you want? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 18:29:54 BDT
Aye, richt enough! there's nothing like a Spice Girls record to highlight what a wealth of talent we had in the good old days ;@}

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2012 17:37:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Aug 2012 17:54:52 BDT
Cactus Dave says:
Could'nt agree more on the state of music nowadays, the quality isnt there, image yes, but muscianship, song quality, album quality, those days are gone.

England used to have some the best acts around, what do we have now a dreary coldplay, snow patrol, tinnie temper, labryinth, dizzy rascal, stooshie, ginger guy with a little acoustic, tulissa, and so on, thats the thing if you dont like pop or watered down rock, your screwed, theres this obsession with people who dont want to work hard in a band anymore, learn 3 notes on a keyboard, hey i got a number one, like processed cheese, thats why the kids so obsessed with the eighties keyboard music. No work and little substance.

Posted on 22 Aug 2012 11:32:05 BDT
No contest in my mind....both bands have excellent musicians, but Led Zep had a frontman who was incapable of singing. Just a horrible row and constant screeching.

Deep Purple every time.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 11:43:03 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Ba-boom-tish

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 12:14:28 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Oakley 30, really.... is it those pink tinged glasses or do you only know the tosh you mentioned because you don't look further than the TV or Radio?

Posted on 25 Aug 2012 03:06:14 BDT
mancheeros says:
Deep Purple with Coverdale and Hughes as joint lead vocalists were exceptional. I can't think of another band that had two talented vocalists working off each other like that. 'Burn' was the masterpiece from that era, though 'Stormbringer' was also a great album. As for Led Zep... Well, they had nothing that Purple didn't already have. Blackmore and Page were roughly equal, so too Bonham and Paice. But where Purple had the edge was in the keyboard department. Jon Lord was a towering force in hard rock/heavy metal (John Paul Jones was a great musician but always underused) and, in my opinion, Lord's supreme Hammond playing gave Purple another dimension that other similar bands could not compete with.

Posted on 25 Aug 2012 08:58:45 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Re-Machined - A Tribute To Deep Purple'S Machine Head A tribute to one of the finest albums in my collection. Due out in October. Some interesting musicians on here. Has anyone heard anything on, or about this album?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2012 09:33:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Aug 2012 09:38:47 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Sounds like the sort of thing that's usually given away on the front cover of Classic Rock/Mojo/Uncut? Do these tribute albums work unless the music is taken in an entirely different way like Rebuild the Wall where Luther Wright & The Wrongs do Water's bleatathon in bluegrass fashion or Dub Side Of The Moon by Easy Star Allstars? If the album is done straight then it's just a bunch of covers?

Flaming Lips'll do an interesting take on Smoke (must've been a fight to do that one as there are two covers of it) but some of the others look uninspiring to say the least.
Your reply to Brass Neck's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  103
Total posts:  373
Initial post:  10 Dec 2008
Latest post:  25 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions