Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Attention RUSH fans! Favourite RUSH Album Please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-199 of 199 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 09:12:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2011 09:20:21 BDT
Brass Neck says:
..... but apparently while the remixing may improve matters much of Vapor Trails' harshness and distortion is inherent in the way the tracks were originally recorded, largely as digitally-recorded jams which were then edited together. Anyway what's the betting that appears at full price - hey guys, we served up a 5hitty sounding substandard album which, a decade later, we've partially fixed and now you can throw even more dosh at us (and I probably will)!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 10:15:15 BDT
Puffany says:
ditto!

Posted on 18 Jun 2011 10:31:01 BDT
Cemal Deger says:
1) 2112
2) Permanent Waves
3) Grace Under Pressure
4) Hold Your Fire
5) Roll The Bones

It is impossible to choose. All of them has moments. What can I say, these guys are genius!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 11:11:09 BDT
Sounds like careless engineering or bad practice wrecked that recording, not the digital recording. If a signal that is too "hot" is fed into any recording medium it causes distortion/clipping etc...... The best deliberate use if this that I can think of is Capt Beefhearts vocals in the song 21st Century Quaker on the Mirrorman Sessions, a magic album.

If the recorded signal is clipped or distorted at the point of recording there is not a lot that they can do with it without a huge amount of hours in fromt of a pc literally redrawing the wave form to what they think it ought to be(more work than sense methinks). If the original signal is clean and the distortion was introduced further down the chain of events then it ought to be simples.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 15:38:06 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Forget where I read it but it's the former hence not so simples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_Trails

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 15:44:10 BDT
Yeh, an uphill struggle, Brass. Astounding that a band of that ilk and heritage should get it wrong at the recording stage.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 16:10:13 BDT
Brass Neck says:
It was a complete departure for them from normal recording by the sound of it - jamming around and reviewing aand digitally splicing fragments and lines. Hoepfully the new album will have avoided such an approach. The couple of new tracks played on the recent tour had much better song structures than VT material.

Posted on 31 May 2012 17:51:01 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
Apologies for bringing a three year old thread back to life but new RUSH album due imminently, tour dates announced and early reviews are raving already about 'Clockwork Angels'

Playing 'Power Windows' right now and amazed how good it still sounds to me.

Long may these guys keep going!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 17:56:03 BDT
Brass Neck says:
I already have tickets for Sheffield but 75 plus booking fee? Jeez!

Posted on 31 May 2012 18:02:25 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
Hi Brass Neck, when ticketmaster quoted me 155 for my 2 Rush tickets for London o2.

It reminded me that in my loft I have a box full of tour guides and tickets and I have a genuine ticket for AC/DC at Hammersmith Odeon on 4-11-79 and the ticket says: Dress Circle Row 6 2.50

But its RUSH! ....its got to be done.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 19:45:13 BDT
Brass Neck says:
I don't have the ticket but my first live Rush was in '77 for the princely sum of 2.75 (I think). It was for the upper (top) circle of Sheffield City Hall but on arrival the bouncers informed us that too few tickets had been sold so we were ushered to the stalls and made our way to the front throng - heaven! Thereafter it was bigger venues and ticket prices on every tour - Stafford Bingley Hall, NEC, Sheffield Arena, etc.

Posted on 3 Jun 2012 13:01:10 BDT
Dean Carroll says:
With the exception of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures I found their eighties stuff rather patchy. I prefer their early records the most. 2112 and Farewell to Kings were their gems. I even like a few tracks off their debut and thought Caress of Steel an underrated album.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2012 14:01:51 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Now that we've all had a chance to listen to it just how muddy is the production/mastering of Clockwork Angels? A great back to riffage Rush album and ...... there's no top end! How do they keep on doing this, ballsing up the sound on new releases? I mean it's not like they put out two albums a year like bands did in the late 60s/early 70s is it????

Posted on 24 Jul 2012 09:30:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jul 2012 09:36:25 BDT
r. f. says:
In no order...

Hemispheres ,
A Farewell To Kings ,
Signals ,
Power Windows ,
Clockwork Angels ,
2112 and
RUSH

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 09:34:11 BDT
r. f. says:
I find nothing wrong with the sound of C.A. This album sounds excellent and absolutely nothing like VT.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 09:43:41 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Didn't say it sounded like VT but that album had sound issues to do with the recording process, this just seems to be coming out of a bottom end fog at me like it's had the top end rolled off.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 00:58:57 BDT
r. f. says:
what ever you say...lol...

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 05:39:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2012 06:31:32 BDT
Brass Neck says:
More negative voting r. f.? Soooo disappointing! I'm hurt now ......... Still never mind Rush, hoos aboot them Max Webster remasters, no sound issues there, eh ......... beyond the mediocrity of the original music?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 13:33:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2012 13:39:28 BDT
r. f. says:
When I better you again , are you going to whine to Amazon.co.uk. about it?

"WHAAAAAAA , he was mean to me , do something about it "

I guess that some people can dish it out but can't take it... lol...

And stop your racist Canadian language stereo types. We do have The Queen on our money after all.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 20:46:25 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
Permanent Waves for me. So many others come close though.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 14:36:22 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Aug 2012 14:37:31 BDT]

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 14:36:47 BDT
Wayne says:
Picking your favourite Rush album is virtually impossible for me as I always feel bad for albums I miss out.

My top choices have to be:

Permanent waves
Moving pictures
Roll the bones
Snakes and arrows
Grace under pressure
Signals

Depending on my mood anyone of the above could be my favourite.

Love the new album and just got my tickets through for the clockwork angels tour. Going to the O2 London but it's not till next may :(

Posted on 4 Aug 2012 00:59:37 BDT
A. Gray says:
2112 for me, bought it at school...it was so fast (at the time) hahaha

Not a fan of Moving Pictures or Signals.

Lost interest around the time of Presto, sad I know.

Farewell To Kings & Hemispheres are up there as are Caress of Steel (love that title) and Fly By Night

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 14:40:03 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I admit I've heard no Rush beyond Moving Pictures, except for a very recent purchase of Snakes and Arrows, simply because I didn't really like where the music seemed to be heading from Permanent Waves into Moving Pictures, and beyond. There may well be some good albums in there, though it seems from what I read that as good as they might be, they are not likely to be my cup of tea. I bought S&A because of the following circumstances: I had been listening to a fair bit of Rush, I had been reading reviews on Amazon of Rush albums I didn't have, many reviews of S&A mentioned it was a return to the Rush sound of the 70s, the album was on promotion at a nice and silly price, and I had a gift voucher to use. I don't really see the resemblence of S&A to the 70s sound, but it is an incredibly good album - easily better than Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, and actually vying for the position of my favourite Rush album!

My favourite albums are probably the following, and possibly in the following order:
1) All the World's a Stage
2) Caress of Steel
3) Snakes & Arrows
4) 2112
5) Farewell to Kings

"World's a Stage" because it is wonderfully raw, with a couple of great medleys, and covers their greatest period (for me). "Caress" because of the earlier albums it seems the most cohesive, with consistent quality of songs. Perhaps no great songs, but the problem with the great songs on some of the other albums was the way they overshadowed the remainder. I also have a soft spot for "Fountain", which is one of their better long songs (or sequence of shorter songs). I love 2112 just for the title track (yes it is overblown and grandiose, and I love it!), but there is still some good stuff afterwards (and some not so good). It was a hard job choosing the fifth spot, as it could just as easily have been "Hemispheres", "Fly by Night" or their debut. After that, my Rush collection is left with the dregs of "Waves", "Pictures", and "Exit". The only song I really like from the Waves/Pictures era is "Jacob's Ladder". But hey, each to their own - and if we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a boring place.

I have "Clockwork Angels" on my wishlist, as the reviews indicate I may well like the sound of this one.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (739 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  102
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  25 Oct 2008
Latest post:  18 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions