Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Attention RUSH fans! Favourite RUSH Album Please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 199 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2010 16:53:36 GMT
Mad Earwig says:
This thread is still alive thanks to you RUSH fans...

Unusual for a band to have the same lineup for over 30 years, still remain friends appear to be really amiable likeable guys with little in the way of ego....and consistently bring new albums and new sounds to us all.

Amazing that after 30 years Permanent Waves still sounds so fresh!

Posted on 8 Jan 2010 19:00:14 GMT
I heard "Finding my Way" on TOGWT in 1974. On the strength of that 1 track I rushed out to by the First Album on vinyl (what else) and it's been my favourite Rush album ever since. I did like the change of direction that Neal Peart brought to the band but I've never quite recovered from that raw power trio sound. The perfomances are so "real"; as the band had just walked into the studio and "went for it".

In part, that's why I like "Feedback". As with the First Album. It sounds like an ode to joy. It's not worthy music. It's just great musicians doing great tunes a great workout.

Posted on 11 Jan 2010 22:24:23 GMT
S. Abbott says:
2112 still blows my mind to this day. Especially when I get the old vinyl out.

Signals is my second favourite. Just sublime :D

Posted on 12 Jan 2010 00:32:11 GMT
Got them all (like most of us, I know)! For me it's a three-sided coin toss between A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures and Power Windows. I do however reserve the right to change my mind at any time 'cos there's just so much excellent material...

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 11:25:50 GMT
Timmsy says:
Test For Echo,without a doubt.

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 12:02:54 GMT
1st album,caress of steel and 2112 for me

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 14:15:31 GMT
Power Windows - All killer and no filler.

Posted on 22 Feb 2010 10:42:44 GMT
with you, mad earwig, on sublimeness of "la villa strangiato" ; partly why "hemispheres" would get my vote for best. but close thing between that & "farewell to kings", 1st one i bought. these 2 far ahead of all others, but would go for "permanent waves", "caress of steel" & "moving pictures" as 3rd. & equal 4th. can't understand why so many people rate 2112 so highly...what's so good about it ?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2010 13:09:12 GMT
Mad Earwig says:
Love all the Rush albums like you G.A.I. and have been going back to 'Permanent Waves' a lot recently.
'2112' was my first exposure to Rush and way back in the 70's it sounded so fresh and exciting. The guitar work, perussion and vocals were just so new.

From the opening 'Overture' to thru to 'Soliloquy' and the 'Finale' is awesome even today to my tired old jaded ears.
I think it just brilliant and the underrated side 2 has some gems like 'Something for Nothing' and I even like 'Tears' and 'Lessons'

The only album that I do not play much these days is 'Exit Stage' which is not my favourite of their live offerings and 'Hold Your Fire' which is good but not in their best era.

Posted on 22 Feb 2010 15:24:21 GMT
Ooh,tough one! In no particular order; Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres (gotta
love the trees!). That said, I can't get 'Signals' off the player. What's more, I can't find
the superglue! What can it mean?!

Posted on 23 Feb 2010 10:08:54 GMT
m.earwig, "permanent waves" definitely grows on one, i didn't much rate it on 1st listen, prob. 'cos "hemispheres" such a hard act to follow. but gradually came to appreciate brilliance of "jacob's ladder" & "free will" especially. 1st saw them on subsequent tour at glasgow apollo, now sadly no more. still never got into "2112", apart from "overture" & "temples of syrinx", that's about all i ever played from it.

Posted on 23 Feb 2010 16:53:05 GMT
OK then, we are 80-odd posts in. Other side of the coin time - does anyone think Rush have released any clunkers? I'd be interested to hear as I haven't bought an album since Signals (I didn't like it, but I can't say it's no good just because of that).

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2010 17:30:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2010 17:30:52 GMT
Mad Earwig says:
SCH
Reckon all their albums have their merits as the band were so measured and took their time with releases. My biggest disapointment is 'Vapour Trails' which, after their absence, was too flat and I find I am bored 4 tracks in.

I loved the DVD of 'Rush in Rio' and then bought the CD which has appalling production and the mix is all wrong...

Still rate every track on 'Signals' ...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2010 09:57:14 GMT
sistermoon says:
The mix on 'Vapor Trails' is poor. 'Hemispheres' side one has been on my mind at the moment as I'm currently reading Dara O' Braian's book 'Tickling The English', and he had this theory that the English in general are conflictic between pragmatism (just doing it), and romanticism (yearning for something in the past).

That was SO like The Battle Of Heart & Mind!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2010 10:13:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Feb 2010 10:47:23 GMT
Interesting, but is it possible that Dara's theory is what is known as a 'cold reading'? I don't think the English are different to anyone else in that respect, unless he's referring to anything specific in our collective psyche that's supposed to set it apart from others.

Nice link to Hemispheres, though.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2010 10:25:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Feb 2010 10:28:20 GMT
Tripmender says:
Rush clunkers: Caress of Steel, especially the long songs. Quite why they tacked Sweet Jane onto The Necromancer remains one of life's great mysteries. Having said that, it was a 'necessary evil' transitional album.

Lost interest after Moving Pictures, so can't really comment on later period, but didn't like much of what I heard on later live albums.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2010 11:32:52 GMT
I so agree with you. With the exception of Counterparts and Feedback I really can't get to grips with the later stuff, all of which I kind of feel I've heard somewhere before. To paraphrase the late great Eric Morecambe, after Moving Pictures Rush are playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

The pleasure that I take inlistening to Feedback has less to do with Rush per se. It's more to do with listening to great songs played by musicians at the top of their powers. To those now unfamiliar with Buffalo Springfield (who have two tracks covered by Rush), its great to be reminded just how good they were and what a loss that they never endured.

Happy Trails

Posted on 24 Feb 2010 12:46:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Feb 2010 14:16:53 GMT
J. Wray says:
Now the three finalists in no particular order

COUNTERPARTS
MOVING PICTURES
SIGNALS
was never a big fan of 2112, like Bowie's ziggy stardust and Floyds darkside of the moon its a tad overrated and all artists mentioned above have recorded better albums , but hey ! one mans meat is another mans poison and Rush are a superb band no matter which way you look at it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2010 17:09:48 GMT
sistermoon says:
Re:Sweet Jane bit on The Necromancer; The Cowboy Junkies covered that song later on, and I think they were Canadian.

Posted on 24 Feb 2010 23:51:09 GMT
R. Stott says:
I can listen to Counterparts over and over and over :)
Despite the lousy mixing, I do like Vapor Trails but I'll stick with the tried and true Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and 2112 for my top picks overall.

Posted on 25 Feb 2010 02:46:34 GMT
Paul Gregory says:
It has to be 2112, if they`d slotted The Trees in there somewhere it would have been THE best album of all time.

Posted on 25 Feb 2010 09:07:25 GMT
Geddys singing voice in the earlier stuff fries my head, it just cuts right through, so whingy and whiney. I am a post Moving Pictures sort of listener. From there to Power Windows, Hold Your Fire was very close, was a good spell, and then it was a track here or there. They are superb players.

Posted on 25 Feb 2010 13:18:29 GMT
Farewell To Kings, still play it regularly.

For me anything after Moving Pictures just doesn't do it at all.

Posted on 25 Feb 2010 16:58:31 GMT
Power Windows - mainly because of Emotion Detector - a track that gives me goosebumps everytime - 'sometimes our big splashes are just ripples in the pool'. A great album lyrically and musically.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2010 17:10:26 GMT
Caress of Steel
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (739 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  102
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  25 Oct 2008
Latest post:  18 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions