Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Attention RUSH fans! Favourite RUSH Album Please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 199 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2008 12:20:32 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
Most people like RUSH from 1981...I am curious to what is the general favourite opus from this most majestic of musicians.
I love 'em all but I have to go with my heart...

RUSH 2112

Changed Everything
Your reply to Mad Earwig's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 13:09:44 BDT
David1964 says:
Sgnals - the first Rush album i bought.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 13:22:21 BDT
Number Six says:
Has to be a toss up between A Farewell To Kings or Hemispheres, but probably the latter for Villa Strangiato.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 14:25:23 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Farewell to Kings for the power & majesty of the epic Xanadu & Cygnus X-1. Saw 'em play their 1st date outside N America @ Sheffield City Hall in 1977 (half-empty - we had tickets for top balcony but the bouncers told us they weren't going to bother opening it for so few people and that we could just go into the main hall & all for the princely sum of 2.75!) and this was the first release after that gig. I was hooked but diminishing returns set in for me after Power Windows - I still bought them but ......

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 23:34:29 BDT
Cant make up my mind between Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves or Hemispheres.
The live album Exit Stage Left ( i saw that tour) is how I remember them at their prime and has a superb collection of songs.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 02:33:44 GMT
The Baron says:
2112. Though Farewell To Kings,Hemispheres,Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures run it close. But 2112 is just...WOW!.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 12:12:22 GMT
T.Stanners says:
I've been 'into' them since 1975 and met Geddy and Alex at Birmingham's 2007 Meet and Greet. Having seen the band play more than a dozen times since the 70s on every tour I can say without question Moving Pictures does it for me. Having said that, their latest album is truly outstanding so buy them both!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 12:22:06 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Oct 2008 12:23:02 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 12:26:45 GMT
Moving Pictures. Sounds as good today as it did in 1981

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2008 19:07:01 GMT
Permanaent Waves, esp Freewill und Jacob's ladder. Thought Counterparts was OK too

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2008 13:26:13 GMT
R. Collman says:
From the THREE eras of Rush:
2112: nuff said
Signals: not a bad track on it
Snakes and arrows.
Had stopped going to see Rush after Roll the Bones tour, didnt think it was worth going to a show for the encore only!!
So Going to Snakes and arrows tour with some trepidation and it was GREAT back to form, seemed to forget about THOSE albums!!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 16:01:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2008 16:02:26 GMT
H. A. Lynch says:
I have always loved 'Presto' because it combines the talents of Rush with the production mastery of Rupert Hine; the opener, 'Show Don'tTell', is on any favourite rock playlist of mine.

Also..is this the place to give a plug to those other great Canadians, Saga? Anyone who likes Rush and has not heard these guys should go out and get 'Heads or Tales'.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 09:28:30 GMT
Tikka says:
Hemispheres - for 'The Trees' and 'Villa Strangiato'

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 09:34:29 GMT
Sera69 says:
I only have five Rush albums but of those i'd have to go with the pop-tastic Power Windows.

Sacrilege?????

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 12:33:09 GMT
First got into them around Exit Stage Left and first saw them on the Signals tour in Edinburgh. One of the few bands I've stayed with as time has marched on. Why?? Rush are one of the few 'mature' bands who are not content to simply roll out the old hits and not push the boundaries. The last tour on the back of Snakes and Arrows is proof enough. It was a superb show - I've certainly never seen them play better (I've seen Signals, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones and 30th Anniversary tours). So, to the favourites!

2112 is still astonishing
Moving Pictures plays like a greatest hits. Isn't Vital Signs a great song!!
Snakes and Arrows would be even stronger if it had been edited down to 1980s length. Imagine the first 7 tracks plus Mal Nar :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 12:45:22 GMT
Undoubtedly Permanent Waves - SOR, Freewill, Jacobs Ladder brilliant but don't forget the sublime Different Strings or Natural Science recently revisited in the live sets.. "Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex.." it's giving me goosebumps now!

Saw them on Roll the Bones tour - great album that was!

Always loved A show of hands too, played it to death all through the summer I bought it - happy days!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 13:35:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2008 13:36:31 GMT
J. Morris says:
Gotta be Moving Pictures for me, but the whole era from Permanent Waves to Power Windows is exceptional.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008 22:12:47 GMT
Not sacrilege Sera......power windows is a class act.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2008 10:36:00 GMT
Zulu 24 says:
Without doubt "All the worlds a stage".Best live album I've ever heard.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2008 00:54:03 GMT
Hemispheres as it was the first one I heard.
Or A Farewell To Kings because it rocks like a mofo.

2112 gets too much love for my liking. Side A is awesome, but theres only about 3 minutes or so worth bothering with on side B.

And I'm not from North America so I'm not too bothered about their 80s stuff (the very early 80s is pretty good I guess).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2008 15:01:25 GMT
Quite right- have to agree with diminishing returns recently - after Presto ('cos loved HYF - unlike so many, it appears)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2008 16:04:41 GMT
Mark Pover says:
Depending on my mood,Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures.Both are sublime.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2008 16:33:17 GMT
Nobby says:
They all have their merits - except Vapor Trails and Test For Echo.
I'll plump for Permanent Waves....

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2008 02:43:44 GMT
Retrac says:
1. Moving Pictures
2. Permanent Waves
3. A Farewell To Kings

Afraid most of their output since the early 80's hasn't done it for me. But these are superb.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 22:22:51 GMT
Totally agree, Retrac, though I would change the order of 1 and 2. The output after Roll The Bones was very poor, though the last offering was better. I was losing interest fast with dirge like Vapor Trails being churned out .But what a live act!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (743 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  102
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  25 Oct 2008
Latest post:  18 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions