Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

The Best Smiths Album, And Why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Oct 2008 21:45:29 GMT
pikeyboy says:
Johnny Marr reckons it's 'Strangeways Here We Come' but I don't see it (maybe he's coming from a technical perpective). Songs-wise, the best, in my opinion, is 'Hatful Of Hollow', and great though 'The Queen Is Dead' is, for me The Smiths started going downhill after 'Meat is Murder' (singles-wise, definitely). But, if 'Hatful' cannot be counted as a proper album (see: Noel G.) then for me the best will always be their first, the eponymous 'The Smiths' because it came out of nowhere, it sounded complete (for a debut) and like nothing before or since.
Your reply to pikeyboy's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2008 03:22:11 GMT
Retrac says:
Spot on pikeyboy. Always preferred the debut for the same reasons - despite the flat production. Can't agree that they went downhill after MIM but the thrill of the new was waning. Split at the right time to preserve their thrilling legacy.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2008 12:28:53 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
MiM..by a country mile. The production's chunkier, the guitar suonds heavier, the bass is meatier and overall it's more rocking and less fey and wistful plus if you have the CD re-issue it's got How Soon is Now. IMO TQID is way overrated with lame effots like Frankly Mr Shankly.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2008 18:41:27 GMT
Milner62 says:
Louder Than Bombs is my favorite LP. Just because it's the first ever record I had listened to by The Smiths and I get nostalgic when I think about that first listen...My older brother still has that double vinyl album!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 09:54:00 GMT
Of the four studio albums, my personal favourite is Meat is Murder. It's the album where The Smiths suddenly found their studio-feet, especially after the dreadful elephants' ears production of the debut album (flat and grey). I've never understood why people cite The Queen is Dead as their masterpiece. It's a great record but not necessarily a better collection of songs than many of the others. Strangeways is underrated too. Last Night I Drempt That Somebody Loved Me might just be the greatest Smiths song ever.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 17:09:43 GMT
gotta say my personal favourite is the Queen is Dead. Every track is brilliant, I think it is both the best collection of songs and the best overall sounding album by the Smiths. Plus "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" is the song that made me get into the band.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2008 23:13:19 GMT
pikeyboy says:
'There Is A Light.....' is a beautiful tune, as is 'I Know It's Over.' The title track is a solid chunk of brilliance, and an epic on a par with 'How Soon Is Now' in my opinion. 'Bigmouth' and 'Boy With The Thorn', as singles, always lacked the punch of earlier 45's like 'What Difference Does It Make' and 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' (in my humble opinion), and the novelty value of tracks like 'Vicar In A Tutu,' 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others,' and 'Frankly Mr. Shankly' (though the latter's the best of its type) wears thin pretty soon, I find, when you think that this is the man who could write such perfect little vignettes as 'Girl Afraid' and 'These Things Take Time' and 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes' or 'Back To The Old House.' I agree with others that it was with MIM that The Smiths found their studio feet, as such, but I also feel, post-'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' something else was lost: Morrisey started to veer too much towards the kitsch, though Marr never stopped improving.

Posted on 27 Jul 2009 22:58:17 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
The 1st album is by far the best IMO. Stunning production. Great songs, lyrics and mood
'Manchester so much to answer for'

Posted on 29 Jul 2009 07:33:53 BDT
'Hatfull of Hollow' - my god, what a selection! The full 'How Soon Is Now' is worth the price of admission on its own. Wonderful, always wonderful!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2009 09:17:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2009 09:18:23 BDT
Mr. D. Lewis says:
Novelty value of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"...No chance.
Listen to Marr's guitar playing on this- sublime stuff- If you don't believe me, track down the red vinyl German 12" and listen...As for the lyrics, well Morrissey loved "Carry on" films didn't he?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (753 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  31 Oct 2008
Latest post:  29 Jul 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions